Warsaw in Winter??

ragazzolupo
This topic is 4066 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It looks like my company may be sending me to Warsaw sometime between mid-January and early March.

Any thoughts on what to do and what to see outside of the business meetings? I probably won't want to go much outside the city. Are there bars, brothels, spas? I have looked on gayromeo, but not much else yet.

It wouldn't be my choice for time of year, but I will try to make the best of it. Snow? Slush? Cold rain? Gray skies? Does it get better?

I have a feeling there will be good classical music.

Try http://www.gayguide.net as well as http://www.gaywarsaw.pl. You'll find some helpful information. I plan to use these guides when I'm there in May 2013.

For "non gay" venues, etc., check out http://www.fodors.com and http://www.tripadvisor.com. Both sources are ripe with salient information.

Have a wonderful trip, and enjoy what those hot Polish men have to offer. I, too, will be using http://www.gayromeo.com for my extra-sexual activities.

I've never been to Warsaw in the winter, but according to Fodor's World Weather Guide, the average high in February is 32F/0C, and the average low is 21F/-6C, with 14/28 wet days, 1.3"/32mm average precipitation. Since Warsaw is at a very high lattitude, between Calgary and Edmonton, AB, the days will be quite short until later February.

Thanks for all of the helpful replies. Axiom, Atlanta Guy, the sites are very helpful and Steven and MscleLovr have posted "suspicions confirmed." I will dress warm and dry. I would also appreciate any recommendations for "guides".

I spent some time in the upper mid-west and also near Buffalo, but it looks like their snow removal might be better than in Warsaw.

• 2 months later...

Update on Warsaw in Winter:

Got back a couple of weeks ago. The weather was chilly (upper 20s Fahrenheit) but sunny. There had been snow and the Poles were complaining it had been a hard winter, but I think NYC has had a much harder one. Everyone that I met was really nice and, surprising to me, everyone spoke some English. Many spoke perfect English.

I had engaged Robert (wawa_for_cash on gayromeo) for an evening and a day before my business meetings began. I was in contact with him through early afternoon. We were to meet at my hotel at 8:30 and go to dinner. At 9:30 I gave up and went out to dinner on my own. I was very surprised and disappointed at a “no-show”, since we had had very good e-mail conversations and he had given me good advice on the closing of Modlin airport and the rescheduling through Chopin airport.

Two days later I got a text from him that he had awakened in a hospital bed after being struck on his motorcycle by a car only a little while after his last text to me. Amazingly, he was apologizing for missing the meeting and not taking care of me. I was very impressed. So if I get back to Warsaw, and my business may get me there again, I will certainly try to complete our engagement.

However, I did get together with a young Polish dancer who responded to my gayromeo advert and we had a great evening with dinner and a night of good fun.

Warsaw in winter was not bad at all (although I think I slipped between a couple of weather events).

Update on Warsaw in Winter:

Got back a couple of weeks ago. The weather was chilly (upper 20s Fahrenheit) but sunny. There had been snow and the Poles were complaining it had been a hard winter, but I think NYC has had a much harder one. Everyone that I met was really nice and, surprising to me, everyone spoke some English. Many spoke perfect English.

I had engaged Robert (wawa_for_cash on gayromeo) for an evening and a day before my business meetings began. I was in contact with him through early afternoon. We were to meet at my hotel at 8:30 and go to dinner. At 9:30 I gave up and went out to dinner on my own. I was very surprised and disappointed at a “no-show”, since we had had very good e-mail conversations and he had given me good advice on the closing of Modlin airport and the rescheduling through Chopin airport.

Two days later I got a text from him that he had awakened in a hospital bed after being struck on his motorcycle by a car only a little while after his last text to me. Amazingly, he was apologizing for missing the meeting and not taking care of me. I was very impressed. So if I get back to Warsaw, and my business may get me there again, I will certainly try to complete our engagement.

However, I did get together with a young Polish dancer who responded to my gayromeo advert and we had a great evening with dinner and a night of good fun.

Warsaw in winter was not bad at all (although I think I slipped between a couple of weather events).

Glad you had a successful trip. I would love to hear more about the city! Did you go to any clubs, strip clubs, sex clubs or Saunas? Were the men hot? Were the men stuck up? Is Warsaw easy to get around? Would you recommend going there? Sorry for all the questions, I just love to travel, need to know if I should add to my list.

Atlantagaguy

I am no expert on Warsaw (much less Poland) based on a short trip where I was in conferences most of my time there. My restaurant meals were all very good and I made a point of eating in Warsaw restaurants specializing in Polish foods. Poland has delayed converting from the złoty to the euro. This has resulted in an excellent exchange rate for Americans (and British and western Europeans). Prices for hotel, food, transport were almost all below what I could imagine. I did not pick the time of year, but I was told that late spring, early summer, or fall are the best times to be a tourist in Poland.

I would like to return to Warsaw and to be able to see other parts of Poland as well. I was asked repeatedly why I was not going to Kraków (Cracow). It was just a very limited time and all my business was in Warsaw. The old city of Warsaw was almost totally rebuilt after the devastation visited on it during WWII. Cracow was almost totally spared. But you might not realize that Warsaw was bombed flat as they carefully rebuilt almost every building in the “Old Town.” I did not have the time or inclination for bars, clubs, and baths, but might on a future visit. There were very attractive men on the street and the young dancer who spent time with me was certainly a beauty. I found Poles to be very interested and engaging in my short time there. I think they like Americans. Public transportation seems to work very well and the busses are pretty easy to figure out. While I was on the bus from the airport to the hotel five riders helped me figure out the fare, the route and the right stop to get off. They also had a lighted board on the bus that told you exactly where you were on the route and the next stop lighted up as you approached. Get there while they have the złoty.

One of the things is miss about living in Chicago is the Polish-American community and the high percentage of people who are of Polish descent. (Full disclosure: my ancestry is Polish, Prussian, and German) The men tend to be handsome and hung and the women tend to be very pretty. I'm planning a trip to Krakow, just not sure when I am going.

Atlantagaguy

I am no expert on Warsaw (much less Poland) based on a short trip where I was in conferences most of my time there. My restaurant meals were all very good and I made a point of eating in Warsaw restaurants specializing in Polish foods. Poland has delayed converting from the złoty to the euro. This has resulted in an excellent exchange rate for Americans (and British and western Europeans). Prices for hotel, food, transport were almost all below what I could imagine. I did not pick the time of year, but I was told that late spring, early summer, or fall are the best times to be a tourist in Poland.

I would like to return to Warsaw and to be able to see other parts of Poland as well. I was asked repeatedly why I was not going to Kraków (Cracow). It was just a very limited time and all my business was in Warsaw. The old city of Warsaw was almost totally rebuilt after the devastation visited on it during WWII. Cracow was almost totally spared. But you might not realize that Warsaw was bombed flat as they carefully rebuilt almost every building in the “Old Town.” I did not have the time or inclination for bars, clubs, and baths, but might on a future visit. There were very attractive men on the street and the young dancer who spent time with me was certainly a beauty. I found Poles to be very interested and engaging in my short time there. I think they like Americans. Public transportation seems to work very well and the busses are pretty easy to figure out. While I was on the bus from the airport to the hotel five riders helped me figure out the fare, the route and the right stop to get off. They also had a lighted board on the bus that told you exactly where you were on the route and the next stop lighted up as you approached. Get there while they have the złoty.

This is most appreciated; I will be in both Warsaw and Krakow in May of 2013 with a group but will have time to explore on my own. Right now the excitement has begun to mount!

This is most appreciated; I will be in both Warsaw and Krakow in May of 2013 with a group but will have time to explore on my own. Right now the excitement has begun to mount!

Axiom, if you wish my experiences on restaurants, hotel, and bits of cultural information, I could pm you. ragazz'

Archived