Today's Time-Outs

EZEtoGRU
This topic is 4173 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I recall of grade school, there were a few kids who got along with pretty much everybody and there were a few kids who fought with pretty much everybody. And then there was a large group in the middle of the bell curve who had good days and bad days. By the time we got to junior high school, the ones who kept fighting a lot were ostracized and spent a lot of time alone. The ones who always got along were the more popular kids and had a shot at getting laid. It was a pretty simple dynamic, really, and usually led to most folks fitting into the larger social group. I recall working pretty hard to watch the popular kids and trying to emulate what they did.

Those lessons were necessary, at least for me, in order to get ahead at work and generally live successfully in society as an adult.

I think an anonymous message board like this one has some similarities to grade school, and some dissimilarities as well. The benefits of getting along don't usually include getting laid, although I think there have been some notable exceptions and I always enjoy reading about them! And fighting all the time can actually bring someone the attention that they may not be getting enough of in their off-board lives. For some reason, many of us don't seem to be able to ignore someone who behaves badly, as we did in grade school, so they actually feel encouragement to continue antisocial behavior. And it's only rarely that someone is completely ostracized, in the form of being banned.

But those who get ostracized and timed-out usually have the opportunity to return and try again. It's kind of a second chance to work on improving social skills and, in my opinion, is a valuable opportunity to work on things we got wrong as kids. I think there are many here who would root for someone to evolve from an outsider and become one of the in-crowd. My hope is that everyone would eventually take that opportunity to come on inside the tent and start pissing out, rather than stay outside and keep pissing in. :rolleyes:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1018/1040374377_ac9570008a.jpg

From what I recall of grade school, there were a few kids who got along with pretty much everybody and there were a few kids who fought with pretty much everybody. And then there was a large group in the middle of the bell curve who had good days and bad days. By the time we got to junior high school, the ones who kept fighting a lot were ostracized and spent a lot of time alone. The ones who always got along were the more popular kids and had a shot at getting laid. It was a pretty simple dynamic, really, and usually led to most folks fitting into the larger social group. I recall working pretty hard to watch the popular kids and trying to emulate what they did.

Those lessons were necessary, at least for me, in order to get ahead at work and generally live successfully in society as an adult.

I think an anonymous message board like this one has some similarities to grade school, and some dissimilarities as well. The benefits of getting along don't usually include getting laid, although I think there have been some notable exceptions and I always enjoy reading about them! And fighting all the time can actually bring someone the attention that they may not be getting enough of in their off-board lives. For some reason, many of us don't seem to be able to ignore someone who behaves badly, as we did in grade school, so they actually feel encouragement to continue antisocial behavior. And it's only rarely that someone is completely ostracized, in the form of being banned.

But those who get ostracized and timed-out usually have the opportunity to return and try again. It's kind of a second chance to work on improving social skills and, in my opinion, is a valuable opportunity to work on things we got wrong as kids. I think there are many here who would root for someone to evolve from an outsider and become one of the in-crowd. My hope is that everyone would eventually take that opportunity to come on inside the tent and start pissing out, rather than stay outside and keep pissing in.

As always you are "spot on" and very diplomatic, now if only I could figure out how to do that. I am sure that I would be more popular around here...lol

I agree. Even if JJ just posted photos, he would be an important part of this site. But, I also enjoy many of his posts. Just not sure why citylaw feels differently, but he's more than welcome to a different opinion.

I do enjoy JJ's posts, and have invited him for a beer. I just enjoy them for a different reason.

Ok guys here are my two cents worth. I absolutely loved citylaw1’s comment: “I'm not "hot" about any time outs dear - I'm 43, not 12.” At 72 I do envy him being a mere child at 43 but couldn’t agree more. I have NEVER appreciated the “time out” concept. I have also NEVER understood why an anonymous poster on this site could be offended, hurt, or devastated by what another anonymous poster has to say about them – why do they give a shit. I have said it before and I will continue to say it ad nauseam people should care what their family and friends think of them but what absolute strangers think of them should be totally irrelevant. If some of you think things get heated around here now you should have been participating when Hooboy was alive and running the show. One thread after another was on fire. Now with all of this said I fully recognize that Daddy is currently running the show and that this is his playpen and he has a perfect right to run it anyway he wishes.

I feel exactly the same way.

HA-HA-HA, methinks you protest too much. You started with arguing the last point without discussing my prior points. Then you added psycho to queens - be careful, those words appeared in a recent Timed-Out Member's post contemporaneously with their exit to Time-Out.

Maybe I am reading your posts with the knowledge that you and jjkrkwood were timed-out together this past year for similar flaming posts about each other. It could be my perceptions but it sure seems as though your fingers are set to typing in grudge mode.

P.S. I'm 57 and highly aware that growing old is Mandatory, but growing up is OPTIONAL! Claiming chronological age as a sign of maturity is Total Male Bovine Excrement - in my mind, the one who stoops to chronological age has already lost the argument that he's mature - it's prima facie evidence that the logician is illogical.

1. I don't think JJ should be banned or on time out.

2. "Psycho Queens" was not addressed to anyone in particular.

3. I hold ZERO grudges in anonymous land. You must not be reading my posts as carefully as you claim.

4. I was stating 43 versus 12 as an example of using "time outs" on adults. Perhaps even 12 is too old; in hindsight I should have said 6.

1. I don't think JJ should be banned or on time out.
Allow me to refer Cityflaw1 to his earlier comment in this very thread "I have no desire to referee this sandbox." Ain't this opinion an expression of refereeing? Maybe it's just second-guessing.

2. "Psycho Queens" was not addressed to anyone in particular.
YET! Better to disparage an anonymous group of psycho queens than one in particular.

3. I hold ZERO grudges in anonymous land. You must not be reading my posts as carefully as you claim.
Um, ZERO? REALLY? Are you certain? Your posts do sometimes read like you might at times. And the last time, the subject of your point number one checked into the Time-Out Motel, it was a double room with YOU.

4. I was stating 43 versus 12 as an example of using "time outs" on adults. Perhaps even 12 is too old; in hindsight I should have said 6.
You were pontificating and I called you on it. But as lawyers tend to argue, there is no guilt in lawyer land - just endless arguments - irregardless of the facts. My point, which you ignored yet again, was "citing chronological age as a fact of maturity is BOGUS!" ROFL!

Has anyone ever noticed that the English language doesn't include the word, adultish?

We have the word, childish, but not adultish. Why is that so? Because adults may, and often do, act childishly while we can never demand of children 'adultish behavior?' Hmmmmm....

Allow me to refer Cityflaw1 to his earlier comment in this very thread "I have no desire to referee this sandbox." Ain't this opinion an expression of refereeing? Maybe it's just second-guessing.

YET! Better to disparage an anonymous group of psycho queens than one in particular.

Um, ZERO? REALLY? Are you certain? Your posts do sometimes read like you might at times. And the last time, the subject of your point number one checked into the Time-Out Motel, it was a double room with YOU.

You were pontificating and I called you on it. But as lawyers tend to argue, there is no guilt in lawyer land - just endless arguments - irregardless of the facts. My point, which you ignored yet again, was "citing chronological age as a fact of maturity is BOGUS!" ROFL!

Has anyone ever noticed that the English language doesn't include the word, adultish?

We have the word, childish, but not adultish. Why is that so? Because adults may, and often do, act childishly while we can never demand of children 'adultish behavior?' Hmmmmm....

1. Having an opinion, and expressing a desire to wait by the inbox to see what posts or threads need addressing, assessing time outs, etc. are very different. I do not desire a referee position.

2. The "psycho queens" know who they are.

3. I hold no grudges. I may have opinions, and possess the ability to argue, but that's it.

4. "Pontificating" was probably the wrong word to choose. I was being pompous, or performing the duties of a Pontiff? You were trying to use a big word - unsuccessfully.

5. Irregardless? Really? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=irregardless . I may be pontificating here a bit, but I just couldn't resist.

6. Why not use "adultish" just like you do "irregardless?" It do be acceptable.

My hope is that everyone would eventually take that opportunity to come on inside the tent and start pissing out, rather than stay outside and keep pissing in.

My sentiments exactly! I trust that the adults who refuse to grow up will cease and desist the pissing contest.

9 pages, 87 replies and counting ... Talk about pissing into the wind! :eek:

My sentiments exactly! I trust that the adults who refuse to grow up will cease and desist the pissing contest.

9 pages, 87 replies and counting ... Talk about pissing into the wind! :eek:[/color]

I am always shocked when the thread haters continue to read, and count, every post that is of no interest to them. Now that's pissing in the wind.

It appears Rockhard and JJ are on Time-Out. I'm not sure if there are others. Does anyone know how long the Time-Outs will last?

I reached out to JJ, via a PM to his alter moniker Suckrates. Needless to say, he is not happy with either of us. He has indeed been following all of the chatter here, and he's readying his army, sharpening his command of the language, and preparing for a strong comeback.

I truly hope he meets me for a beer. I would love to rub his head and examine those fine teeth in person.

He may be saying nothing at all, or he may be showing us what we all will look like if we keep coming here throwing darts at one another. Or, dressed for combat, he may be preparing a clean sweep. Who knows what he is saying. It's Daddy. Maybe he just wanted a second wear on his Halloween costume.

4. "Pontificating" was probably the wrong word to choose. I was being pompous, or performing the duties of a Pontiff? You were trying to use a big word - unsuccessfully.
pontificating: to express one's opinions in a way considered annoyingly pompous and dogmatic. I didn't say a word about you being pope! Might you qualify? What a hoot! LOL! I don't believe one admits to pontificating as much as one might be considered by others as having been pompous, dogmatic or the leader of the world's billion Catholics. ROFL! I really feel as though we're having a beer along with our posts!

5. Irregardless? Really? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=irregardless . I may be pontificating here a bit, but I just couldn't resist.
I don't consider you annoying when you're educational. This is just proof you read my posts with a discriminating eye! Congratulations!

6. Why not use "adultish" just like you do "irregardless?" It do be acceptable.
I do regularly with my teen-aged mentee, i.e. "What your parents and I are looking for is fewer childish acts and more adultish acts - each of which demonstrates you are maturing. As you mature, we will ascribe adulthood to you and not simply because you're 21."

Archived