Will Phelps lose his medals?

deej
This topic is 4346 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Those Louis Vuittton images of Michael Phelps were leaked during an IOC-imposed blackout on athletes appearing in ads for non-Olympic sponsors. Nothing has been done so far, but if action is taken it could result in Phelps losing his London medals.

The headline of this article sucks, making it look like the "racy" (huh?) nature of the photo has jack shit to do with the story when it doesn't.

http://bottomline.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/17/13339441-racy-photo-may-get-michael-phelps-in-hot-water?lite

This is much ado about nothing. The IOC would piss off just about everyone if they took Phelps' medals away.

T

PS I think they were trying to make a play on "racy" as in, he looks like he's going to race and the photo's a little steamy. But A) he's not doing that arm-flapping thing, so he's definitely not racing, and B) there is nothing erotic about this photo.

Now, if Adrian or Lochte were in this photo...eroticism would be more possible.

The original story (with the leaked photos) had a quote from Vuitton, so the leak probably came from them.

My take on it is "who cares? Phelps didn't make the leak!" but the IOC has been known to go weird on things like this, particularly since it's exactly the kind of thing the rule was intended to prevent.

I find the photo racy... sexy Olympic swimmer sitting in a bathtub with duffel bag and clothes in disarray on the floor, and a bit of a "come hither" look on his face. But then I ask, "Why is he wearing the swimsuit? Who sits in a bathtup wearing a speedo?" Well it is an ad after all.

Hmmm, maybe speedo leaked it, since their logo is shown too.

The IOC would like an American city to host a summer Olympics after Rio but is having difficulty getting any takers in the current economic climate. Stripping the medals would kill any chance of that happening.

How do you know this? New York City(2012) and Chicago(2016) were the most recent bidders and lost.

Archived