Amazing American Idol Performance

EXPAT
This topic is 4373 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am still in awe of this performance between Jennifer Holliday and Idol contestant Jessica Sanchez. If this doesn't prove that she should have won then nothing will. This will probably be the best ever performance/duet on an Idol stage. Simply amazing. Drag queens all over had an orgasm during this performance. . .

[video=youtube;NWxDVvwzRH4]

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am still in awe of this performance between Jennifer Holliday and Idol contestant Jessica Sanchez. If this doesn't prove that she should have won then nothing will. This will probably be the best ever performance/duet on an Idol stage. Simply amazing. Drag queens all over had an orgasm during this performance. . .

[video=youtube;NWxDVvwzRH4]

It WAS Fabulous, if not a bit spooky.... She looks like she needs an excorcism... But congrats to Jessica for holding her own with the Grand diva.. This was a show highlight.

I just watched the video and I think Jennifer Holiday totally stole the spotlight from this girl, who was really trying hard to do a Jennifer Holiday impersonation. I know it's a karaoke contest, but she could have tried to put her own spin on it.

I just watched the video and I think Jennifer Holiday totally stole the spotlight from this girl, who was really trying hard to do a Jennifer Holiday impersonation. I know it's a karaoke contest, but she could have tried to put her own spin on it.

No matter what you do, you should always give it your ALL (wink)......

See, I completely disagree with that. I started watching this video ready to be all mad at JH thinking she was taking something away from Jessica's night, and totally got the impression she was like: "well here you go." And in all honesty I prefer Jhud's version most, which has more dramatic depth.

Oh, and I meant to add that JH looks amazing—except for that Sidney Sheldon late 80's miniseries hair—WTF?

For a 16 year old who was a typical California girl high school student, I think Ms. Sanchez managed to hold her own with a woman whose picture you see when you look up diva in the dictionary. So there is the straight line, let's see the riposte.

Let’s be honest.

What human in their right mind would get on stage with Jennifer Hudson and sing this song as a duet?

I agree with Rick that Sanchez does a karaoke version of the song, but still…she does a damn good karaoke version of the song…standing 2 feet away from Jennifer Hudson.

No matter what you say…. it was impressive.

She stood toe to toe with an icon and didn’t miss a note and she didn’t flinch…that alone deserves praise.

It surprised me that they had J Hol on the show instead of Idol Alum J Hud.. Wonder what was up with that one? Of course what would have been the ULTIMATE event would have been to have it as a Trio instead of Duo.. with J Hol, J Hud, and Jessica. But if all the rumors are true, there is no way that J Hol would have done that. Reportedly, Ms Holiday was very much insulted during the making of the Dreamgirls movie because no one so much as asked her for advice/tips on the role of Effie.

When I graduated from college in 1982, I moved to New York. The first show I saw was DREAMGIRLS. Jennifer Holliday blew me away then and, at the age of 51, she blew me away again 30 years later. That performance on Wednesday night was a miracle. It's also the most involved I saw Jessica Sanchez all season. Perhaps she needed someone like Holliday to bring it out. If she had sung like that all season, she might have won.

I think that is, by far, the greatest performance ever seen on the AI stage. It was awesome.

See, I completely disagree with that. I started watching this video ready to be all mad at JH thinking she was taking something away from Jessica's night, and totally got the impression she was like: "well here you go." And in all honesty I prefer Jhud's version most, which has more dramatic depth.

Oh, and I meant to add that JH looks amazing—except for that Sidney Sheldon late 80's miniseries hair—WTF?

I gotta strongly disagree with that one. Jennifer Hudson comes NOWHERE near the emotional depth and vocal pyrotecnics of the original, Jennifer Holliday. She puts more pain into one phrase than Hudson managed to do in the whole song and vocally I find her drab.

Let’s be honest.

What human in their right mind would get on stage with Jennifer Hudson and sing this song as a duet?

I agree with Rick that Sanchez does a karaoke version of the song, but still…she does a damn good karaoke version of the song…standing 2 feet away from Jennifer Hudson.

No matter what you say…. it was impressive.

She stood toe to toe with an icon and didn’t miss a note and she didn’t flinch…that alone deserves praise.

YOu said it twice so I'm guessing you might not actually know. That was Jennifer HOLLIDAY, not Jennifer HUDSON.

It surprised me that they had J Hol on the show instead of Idol Alum J Hud.. Wonder what was up with that one? Of course what would have been the ULTIMATE event would have been to have it as a Trio instead of Duo.. with J Hol, J Hud, and Jessica. But if all the rumors are true, there is no way that J Hol would have done that. Reportedly, Ms Holiday was very much insulted during the making of the Dreamgirls movie because no one so much as asked her for advice/tips on the role of Effie.

Wrong, wrong and more wrong. Go to Youtube. Jennifer Holliday and Jennifer Hudson have twice sung the song together on stage. But let's face it, Holliday is the ORIGINAL. That's why she was on. Why get Adam Lambert, when you have Judy Garland?

:confused:

Wrong, wrong and more wrong. Go to Youtube. Jennifer Holliday and Jennifer Hudson have twice sung the song together on stage. But let's face it, Holliday is the ORIGINAL. That's why she was on. Why get Adam Lambert, when you have Judy Garland?

Judy Garland was a goth rock singer ????? :confused::confused:

you are right OL, however it was well documented that Ms Holliday was VERY upset over the making of Dreamgirls movie, and the fact that she was overlooked for the Effie role. she was quite vocal about it, so I suspect thats where that comment from the other poster came from ?

you are right OL, however it was well documented that Ms Holliday was VERY upset over the making of Dreamgirls movie, and the fact that she was overlooked for the Effie role. she was quite vocal about it, so I suspect thats where that comment from the other poster came from ?

They should have had JHud, Jessica, JHo and Diana Ross up there, and made that shit a quartet.

Drag queens all over had an orgasm during this performance. . .

Well, this drag queen didn't. But she had fun watching, sort of in disbelief.

And to think David Geffen promised Jennifer Holliday a career in pop music as part of her "Dreamgirls" deal. That didn't go very well.

I find Jennifer Holliday interesting. Full disclosure: I worked on the original "Dreamgirls," briefly. Jennifer has come a long way from those fried-chicken-by-the-bucket diva-fits, but her delivery of "And I Am Telling You" is still as much out of control as her weight once was.

I get why drag queens love it. I get what the song is supposed to mean to a fat, rejected-by-her-fine-man Black woman. I get the need for fire and brimstone. Her performance is still too Raging Bull for me.

Jennifer's voice and delivery is difficult to control. Veteran producers have tried. There's a reason why her album deal failed and never recovered. That screaming, belching, spitting, and farting did not translate well to vinyl and/or radio. But it sure worked on stage, especially in "Dreamgirls."

I really like Jennifer, and I love listening to her do her thang.

As for the 16-year-old Sanchez: who among us, at 16, would have the balls, the guts, the courage, the nerve to go in front of millions of viewers and tackle that behemoth?

She opened weak, and I didn't need what sounded like an imitation Black-diva-singer sound, but I have to give her props for making it through, without forgetting words, notes, and cues (which so many blow on Idol) and delivering this flaming, bitch-belt tantrum to a dramatic conclusion. I tip my hat to her.

As much as I love her, she was just too old by the time the film was made.

Well, this drag queen didn't. But she had fun watching, sort of in disbelief.

And to think David Geffen promised Jennifer Holliday a career in pop music as part of her "Dreamgirls" deal. That didn't go very well.

I find Jennifer Holliday interesting. Full disclosure: I worked on the original "Dreamgirls," briefly. Jennifer has come a long way from those fried-chicken-by-the-bucket diva-fits, but her delivery of "And I Am Telling You" is still as much out of control as her weight once was.

I get why drag queens love it. I get what the song is supposed to mean to a fat, rejected-by-her-fine-man Black woman. I get the need for fire and brimstone. Her performance is still too Raging Bull for me.

Jennifer's voice and delivery is difficult to control. Veteran producers have tried. There's a reason why her album deal failed and never recovered. That screaming, belching, spitting, and farting did not translate well to vinyl and/or radio. But it sure worked on stage, especially in "Dreamgirls."

I really like Jennifer, and I love listening to her do her thang.

As for the 16-year-old Sanchez: who among us, at 16, would have the balls, the guts, the courage, the nerve to go in front of millions of viewers and tackle that behemoth?

She opened weak, and I didn't need what sounded like an imitation Black-diva-singer sound, but I have to give her props for making it through, without forgetting words, notes, and cues (which so many blow on Idol) and delivering this flaming, bitch-belt tantrum to a dramatic conclusion. I tip my hat to her.

Everything you describe about Ms. Holliday is exactly what makes her so great. It's what sets her apart from just being another black gospel type singer. It's her uniqueness.

There's no doubt she had her one "moment" with Dreamgirls and it couldn't be sustained into other projects over a fuller career. But so what? What a moment. It's theater that will NEVER be forgotten. How many can one say that about? As the great Billy Wilder once said "you are as good as the best thing you have ever done." By that standard, she's a legend and always will be.

Archived