Wisteria Lane is quiet Today

jjkrkwood
This topic is 4445 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I know that this thread will immediatley be attacked by some as useless Fluff, but I am sure there are other Desperate Housewives fans on this board besides me, so this is for them, whether they care to reply or not.

The Ladies have all left the lane, in what i thought was a satisfying, poignant end to the soapy Opera... For the most part, there were happy endings, But also a sad goodby to one of the most beloved characters Mrs McClusky....in a 3-hankie scene.... I think Mr Cherry did a good job tying up loose ends (and his nod to Hitchcock, appearing as a moving man in one scene was his final "wink" to the shows fans)...

For those in the know who follow this shit, GCB, the new -religious farce show following the housewives has also been Cancelled. I grew to love that show for its wicked, wry nods to practiced organized religion, and the outrageous, campy ladies that brought the chararcters to life....

Farewell.

PS, please dont be intimidated by others here. If you have comment to make, MAKE IT. This board is about participation, even if the topic is light-hearted, superficial, and meaningless :o

I agree with JJ.

The death scene for Mrs. McC. was rendered more poignant by the lady's insistence that Bree find an old record player and an LP with her dying song. As the record plays, and Mrs. McC drifts into her final minute, Susan helps deliver new life in the form of her grandchild. The obvious point: the cycle of life, full circle in one song.

A less obvious point: The show was all about relationships (including gay ones), and the shots without dialogue accompanying the final song also gave us enduring images of relationships that gave these characters depth--Lynette's rocky marriage to Tom, Gaby's tempestuous marriage to Carlos, Bree's new relationship with her lawyer, and Susan's relationship with her daughter and grandchild, and even the Scavo's dysfunctional boy (the kid's father). Mrs. McC died with her loyal and sweet husband at her side.

The series might have ended with this song. I realize the sequence fast-forwarding into the future was a popular choice, but aesthetically and emotionally I believe Merc Cherry made a mistake in not ending with the song.

Will miss the desperation on Wysteria Lane . . .

I agree with JJ.

The death scene for Mrs. McC. was rendered more poignant by the lady's insistence that Bree find an old record player and an LP with her dying song. As the record plays, and Mrs. McC drifts into her final minute, Susan helps deliver new life in the form of her grandchild. The obvious point: the cycle of life, full circle in one song.

A less obvious point: The show was all about relationships (including gay ones), and the shots without dialogue accompanying the final song also gave us enduring images of relationships that gave these characters depth--Lynette's rocky marriage to Tom, Gaby's tempestuous marriage to Carlos, Bree's new relationship with her lawyer, and Susan's relationship with her daughter and grandchild, and even the Scavo's dysfunctional boy (the kid's father). Mrs. McC died with her loyal and sweet husband at her side.

The series might have ended with this song. I realize the sequence fast-forwarding into the future was a popular choice, but aesthetically and emotionally I believe Merc Cherry made a mistake in not ending with the song.

Will miss the desperation on Wysteria Lane . . .

Just once I wish a series finale would really go all out and do something wild, like have an asteroid hit the planet or the Rapture has happened. That's one reason why "Newhart" had such a memorable send-off—because it did something completely unexpected.

Just once I wish a series finale would really go all out and do something wild, like have an asteroid hit the planet or the Rapture has happened. That's one reason why "Newhart" had such a memorable send-off—because it did something completely unexpected.

Yeah, but sometimes you just wanna see a Happy ending, especially if you have grown to know and love certain characters. I thought the ending was appropriate, if not a bit SAFE. but I suppose Mr Cherry was thinking of his fans. But his bitch streak was apparent as you noticed that Nicolette Sheridan was absent from the final shot. Dont fuck with a GAY boss....

:rolleyes:

I watched it too. I thought it was funny when Mrs McClusky took the witness stand. I would have liked to have seen paul young again he was one of my favorites.

He WAS in the end shot as Susan was driving down the lane, and all the spirits were watching as she left town.

paul young was in prison. he wasn't dead i thought all those people were dead watching

As I understood it, that scene was all about PAST inhabitants of the lane, dead or alive in spirit. the only one missing was Nicolette

I watched Desperate Housewives faithfully for the first 4 to 5 seasons then I would only watch it periodically-watching the first few episodes of the new season then the last few of the the same season. Since this was the final season I did watch it more faithfully. I liked how we saw old characters return for an appearence or a few episodes.

I did enjoy the final episode especially the final scenes with the Johnny Mathis song, the flash forward to what will happen, with Jennifer, the new homeowner trying to hide her own secret and Mary Alice telling us that all secrets will never stay hidden.

I watched Desperate Housewives faithfully for the first 4 to 5 seasons then I would only watch it periodically-watching the first few episodes of the new season then the last few of the the same season. Since this was the final season I did watch it more faithfully. I liked how we saw old characters return for an appearence or a few episodes.

I did enjoy the final episode especially the final scenes with the Johnny Mathis song, the flash forward to what will happen, with Jennifer, the new homeowner trying to hide her own secret and Mary Alice telling us that all secrets will never stay hidden.

If I had been Mr. Cherry, I would have written that the new homeowner's name was Sheena, so her secret could have been "Sheena was a man."

I liked it for the most part, but felt the last 10-15 minutes were a bit sloppy. It felt like, "Oops, we're running out of time, gotta wrap this thing up." It's a shame that the 4 friends couldn't be there for Mrs. McClusky's final moments.

Where was Bree's son, especially with her being on trial?

Maybe Nicolette Sheridan had been invited back (though I doubt it), but she refused.

I was a big fan of the show its first season. I thought it had a sophomore slump, but season three picked up nicely.

Then I moved, started working Sunday nights, didn't have DVR or VCR that worked and just drifted away from it. I happened to see it once when they jumped forward five or so years in one season. That left me kind of cold and I just realized my time with the show had come and gone.

Glad you enjoyed the finale. Even the great shows tend to botch their endings, so I'm glad you liked it. I thought the show in general excelled at endings in individual episodes.

Besides the great actresses, there sure was a lot of nice eye candy for gay guys over the years.

Thought the ending ride around town was a clone of the Scrubs finale when JD walks up the hallway and his old patients line the hallway. The Scrubs finale was moving and very well done, this was just okay for me. I did like the Johnny Mathis song though Mrs McCluskey who appears to be in her late 70's would have been about 20 when it was popular, very late for a young girl to be learning how do dance with her girlfriends.

Archived