M4M Times Out When Composing

OneFinger
This topic is 4440 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've recently had M4M time me out when composing a reply to a post. Sometimes it takes me several minutes to compose a thoughtful post that I hope doesn't offend. So, it's really irritating when M4M times me out and I'm required to re-log in. It also automatically marks all posts as "read" so I also lose the ability to quickly figure out what I still haven't read.

Is there a setting where I can increase what M4M sees as "idle" time and increase the time before it kicks me out?

Ticking "Remember Me" when you log in may help.

I'll have to check with Daddy. The timeout setting may have reverted to a default when we moved to a new server recently. (Likely, actually.) We'll see about increasing it. The down-side of increasing it is increased server overhead overall (for all users) so he may not want to do it having recently had a server fail. He'll have to weigh "this" against "that".

In the meantime, another thing you might consider is doing your composing in an external editor (word processor, notepad, etc.) and then only logging in to copy/paste and post.

Ticking "Remember Me" when you log in may help.

...In the meantime, another thing you might consider is doing your composing in an external editor (word processor, notepad, etc.) and then only logging in to copy/paste and post.

Thanks for the quick reply. Not sure where "Remember Me" is but will try that.

My next plan was to start writing responses in Word and then do the copy / paste.

FYI, I do notice that it does the site is now doing an "auto save" of my post about every minute. So, it knows to auto save, I don't understand why it times me out. :(

Ditto on a couple of my posts getting lost. I spent at least 20 minutes crafting a detailed response to what I considered an important thread. And it never got posted. Really pissed me off.

I did find the "remember me" option. Now, I just hope when I log out it really does log me out and doesn't "remember me".

...I did find the "remember me" option. Now, I just hope when I log out it really does log me out and doesn't "remember me".

OK, logged out and it cleared the cookies as normal. Went to log back in and it did NOT remember me. That's exactly what I hoped would happen.

Looks like the "remember me" option is the best way to go so you don't time out during a session.

I was afraid that the "remember me" would keep me logged in well after I wanted to leave.

Thanks to deej for the suggestion. Hopefully, there will no longer be lost posts.

I happened to me a couple of times, and I learned my lesson. If I take more than 2 minutes to type a response, then before tapping the "post" button, I always highlight the text and "copy" it just in case I have been logged out. It is irritating, but at least I do not lose it. I can log back in, return to the thread, and "paste" the response again.

I'm with jawjateck. No matter how short a time it takes to write a posting, I copy it before I hit the "post quick reply". I had a few go bad before I started that. For longer (possibly more thoughtful) posts I follow deej's suggestion and do the writing in Word. — now I am going to copy this.

Archived