Did you have a “classic” after bar eatery in the 60s, 70s, 80s or (heaven forefend) 9

jankeedaddy
This topic is 4553 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Did you have a “classic” after bar eatery in the 60s, 70s, 80s or (heaven forefend) 90s?

Purplekow’s recent Fast food on a credit card thread with the drive through for fast food at 2AM, caused me to have a vision of Buzzy’s Roast Beef. It was a hut near Mass General Hospital in Boston in the 1970s and 80s (and probably before) that was located spitting distance from Sporters Bar (aka “West Side Tennis Club). It was torn down 10 or so years ago for “civic improvement” but for many it was the last stop on the way home from Sporters (with or without a new friend) where you could get a local late night snack that soaked up at least a modicum of the beer of the previous four hours.

Did you have a “classic” after bar eatery in the 60s, 70s, 80s or (heaven forefend) 90s?

Purplekow’s recent Fast food on a credit card thread with the drive through for fast food at 2AM, caused me to have a vision of Buzzy’s Roast Beef. It was a hut near Mass General Hospital in Boston in the 1970s and 80s (and probably before) that was located spitting distance from Sporters Bar (aka “West Side Tennis Club). It was torn down 10 or so years ago for “civic improvement” but for many it was the last stop on the way home from Sporters (with or without a new friend) where you could get a local late night snack that soaked up at least a modicum of the beer of the previous four hours.

He's referring to Boston, for the uniformed. I had a drink at Sporter's the night before my Tufts University interview. At age 17.

There was also Ken's at Copley - Copley Square, that is. Had a balcony and stayed open to 4 AM. One night some of my friends went there, apres bistro, up in the balcony, and sat down.

"What would you boys like?" the waitress asked.

"Do you serve Homosexuals at this hour?" one friend asked.

"Honey, at this hour, that's about all we serve!" she said.

"GOOD!" came the reply, "I'll take THAT one, over THERE!"

In the early 1960s, the bars in Philly closed at 2am (they probably still do). The place to go afterwards was Dewey's on 17th St., one of the few late night diners in Center City. At one point, the owners thought they were losing business because there were too many gay men there, so they put up signs saying they wouldn't serve homos. That caused us to hold a demonstration outside to protest their policy, with picketers and leaflets; this was before the Civil Rights act, and it was one of the first organized gay rights demonstrations. Dewey's quickly backed down when they realized that they were actually losing business, but the damage was done, and they never really recovered from it.

OMG Sporters. I went there so many times when I was young and pretty, but really don't remember the "dining" places we used to go. I wasn't interested in an omelet after the bar, but something firmer with more meat.

When I moved west of Boston to a quiet little burb (boring), we used to go to an Italian diner which was always fun or the famous "Denny's"--I'm sure many guys visited this spot--more cruising there than at the bars

Thanks for the memories

Boston Bill

Do any New Yorkers remember the Silver Dollar at the (then) scary end of Christopher Street? The Pink Teacup? Mama's Chicken 'n Ribs?

These were the places I remember hitting after the Ninth Circle and before the sun came up!

Oh Yeah.."The Silver Dollar" (Tomain Heaven) on the corner on Christopher St...Tiffany's and "The Market Diner" which probably was the Last Old after hours Place to Close Down .

There was also Ken's at Copley - Copley Square, that is. Had a balcony and stayed open to 4 AM. One night some of my friends went there, apres bistro, up in the balcony, and sat down.

"What would you boys like?" the waitress asked.

"Do you serve Homosexuals at this hour?" one friend asked.

"Honey, at this hour, that's about all we serve!" she said.

"GOOD!" came the reply, "I'll take THAT one, over THERE!"

Ah, Ken's, even with the Saturday night blue laws that closed all bars early, there was Ken's. I remember the facade facing Copley Square as blue and white neon and an interior palace of late-night leftovers (OK it started at 1AM on Saturday, but it seemed late to us). And the balcony was where the truly initiated (read bitchy queens) sat and sat, and sat and sat, and that's what makes gay habitat.

Jogged my mind to also note Little Stevie's House of Pizza. After the bars closed near the Fens a wild mix of Berklee School of Music, Boston Conservatory students, Northeastern students, Boston University students, leather boys, garden variety homosexuals, and a good sprinkling of drag queens gathered to hear Felicia shout out in her Greek accent "SLICE??????????????????????????????"

In Monterey, California in the 60s 70s and mid 80's, there was a restaurant named Eddie's which was around the corner from the only gay club/bar in downtown.

After the club/bar would close, many of us gay men would head over to Eddie's and spend some time furthering our socializing and picking up. One "waitress"

really knew how to relate to us men! Those were indeed fun, fun, fun times.

Today Monterey is "deadsville" in terms of the so-called "gay community." There are no longer any gay or gay-friendly restaurants and bars/clubs. The last

very popular dance club/bar which had a fantastic patio and bar died about fifteen years ago when the gay owner decided to sell. Gay men had begun to use

other means of connecting with other gays.

Today Monterey is "deadsville" in terms of the so-called "gay community." There are no longer any gay or gay-friendly restaurants and bars/clubs. The last

very popular dance club/bar which had a fantastic patio and bar died about fifteen years ago

Wow Axiom, I just read your post and got a real knot in my stomach. That is sooo sad to hear. I used to stop in Monterey a couple of times a year from L.A. up Highway 1 on my way to SF, when I was in my early 20's....loved those little vacations. Had alot of fun in Monterey and the guys were sooo nice and hospitable, but I was cute then. LOL I remember a bar, can't recall the name, but it did have a fantastic patio, that I remember. Fell in love there a couple of times, I guess everything changes.........

I came out in the '70's in Ottawa, Canada's capital, which was slowly starting to have a gay life. The bars closed at 1am (good old Ontario) but right across the river was Hull, a French Canadian mill town where the bars stayed open until 3am. Sooo, we would pile in our cars and drive the 10 minutes to the 2 or 3 gay bars that operated at that time looking to score. If one got lucky, he dragged the date back to Ottawa and hosted an overnite. The next morning we would head off to a Lebanese restaurant on Elgin Street near the Parliament buildings and have a great breakfast. By 11:30 the place would be packed with the Ottawa gays with their tricks from the night before. Today Elgin Street is all gussied up with boutiques, flashy straight bars and not much of the old places except for the deli-grocery store which was also Lebanese owned.

Guest Wetnwildbear

Fort Lauderdale 80's

THE WESTSIDER - Great Eggs Benedict then on the East side near the IMfamous COPA ---

LESTERS DINER - the 24oz ENDLESS CUP OF COFFEE - Bikers - Bitches- Drags - Druggies - Douches and Meatloaf

w/REAL Mashed Taters! Eggs with Real Corned Beef Hash and Busboys in the Tearoom!

Philly Late 80's - THE SAXONY Diner - in the Gayborhood - waitresses from the 1950's and fried eggplant! Closed in the 90's

when Jefferson Hospital Bought the Bldg as part of a Land Grab to Expand their Anus Center

Hamburger Mary's across the street from the original Stud on Folsom in SF. The Stud was the first gay bar I ever went to at the (very) tender age of 19 all the way back in 1980. But I guess that's another thread....

Damn, I loved Hamburger Mary's and vividly remember this place, its decor, and the men! Too bad that it, too, went by the way side. Remember The Grubsteak on Sutter which was a half block from Polk Street? It was another one of those places to meet up after 2AM or before.

Archived