Visiting Chicago - a couple initial questions....thanks

azdr0710
This topic is 4560 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Downtown hotels, even via PL, are expensive these days given that it's peak convention season. So check the convention center calendar first...if no big ones then the prices are what you listed. But if there are big ones (like over 10,000 people) than prices go up really fast

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never really liked Gino's East. Not sure why. Pizzeria Uno and Pizzeria Due are better IMO.

Is the Billy Goat still at their lower Michigan location? That's your ultimate "Chicago underground" location. Fans of vintage comedy will recognize the SNL skit as soon as they walk in the door:

[video=youtube;Y1tFx5xKrSI]

It's worth a quick lunch while you're shopping the Magnificent Mile, just to say you've been there.

And if you're in the Drake, don't forget afternoon tea. (Proper attire is a must!) http://www.thedrakehotel.com/dine/palm-court/

Afternoon tea at 3 pm ;-)

And if you're in the Drake, don't forget afternoon tea. (Proper attire is a must!) http://www.thedrakehotel.com/dine/palm-court/

Funny thing, the Drake was the hotel I stayed at during my very first visit to the Windy City some 9 years ago. Speaking of uber-traditional ... I also stayed a couple of times at the Hay-Adams/DC.

The Palmer House has the most impressive lobby located on the second floor (walk up one short flight of stairs). Even if you don't stay there a quick look is worth the detour.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GaYBJ9hnNyA/TKoRk9sIIRI/AAAAAAAAAyg/hE9ecgmY384/s1600/PalmerHouseLobby.jpg

yes, Karl, I will certainly go thru debriefing upon return from the Windy City (and I know what Windy City really means!)......thanks to all for the continued advice....will now try for a downtown place.....I do know that'll make things easier and there is some strategy available via priceline, cheap bastard that I apparently am....

thanks, Steve, for the pizza video....wish I was as clever as those dudes who made it.....the pizza joint my neighbor said is "under a bridge" is either Pizza Oven, Uno, or Due....ring a bell with anyone?....thanks, Deej, for your comments on pizza and Comfort/Day's Inns....I know what you mean about the typical Comfort/Day's you see at freeway interchanges across the country.....

my neighbor also recommended Russian Tea Room for goulash and Parthenon for Greek in Greektown....comments on those?......

will plan on the boat tour and walking tours by the Arch. Fndtn......not really an afternoon tea kind of guy, but thanks, Deej....

appreciate all the hints....I read about a hassle-free b-cycle thing for lakeshore biking, which I'll try.....neighbor says a ride all the way up to Evanston/Northwestern is possible (?)

A bike ride to Evanston is certainly do-able. Evanston itself is pretty cute, as college towns go, and has some GORGEOUS older homes and neighborhoods along the lakefront. There are Frank Lloyd Wright homes up there. Along the way you'll pass Belmont rocks and Hollywood beach, where the boys hang out.

Just be aware of the weather. There are places along Lake Shore Drive (and the bike route) that can have waves from the lake crashing over them in a stiff wind. October could be glorious or it could be iffy. (I wish Raul would chime in on this.)

thanks again to all for the advice....great stuff.....

correction: the neighbor said the place "under the bridge" is a burger joint popular with local reporters and similar, not a pizza joint.....anybody recognize that one??....

continued advice appreciated.....how far walking (blocks, miles??) is Union Station from Boystown?.....any locally-owned, popular, non-chain soup/sandwich/salad places downtown?......any very independent coffee joints?....thanks a lot

correction: the neighbor said the place "under the bridge" is a burger joint popular with local reporters and similar, not a pizza joint.....anybody recognize that one??....

That would be the Billy Goat Tavern, mentioned above (the SNL skit). It isn't so much "under a bridge". It's on lower Michigan Avenue. From street level, there are stairs to get to the service road under the main roadway.

There's a second location that's under/adjoining an L station, I think.

The Billy Goat Tavern's other claim to fame is the curse of the Billy Goat that some say has kept the Chicago Cubs from winning a World Series for more than a century. (Most of us just blame bad ball playing. ;))

continued advice appreciated.....how far walking (blocks, miles??) is Union Station from Boystown?.....any locally-owned, popular, non-chain soup/sandwich/salad places downtown?......any very independent coffee joints?....thanks a lot

Union Station would be quite a hike from Boystown. 10 miles maybe? That's where the L comes in. Union Station is also an L stop. (Not a bad idea to take an hour and just ride the L around the loop, seeing downtown.)

But, to be honest, unless you have a LOT of time in the city I'd skip Union Station. It's nice and all, but it's not all that, and it's a little off the beaten track.

Chicago VERY MUCH identifies as a food town. Even the modest hole-in-the-wall places (which are everywhere) will generally put on a decent feed. Ask the locals. They're friendly and wherever you are they'll gladly tell you their favorite nearby place.

Union Station is approximately 6 miles to the heart of Boystown, but you don't want to walk it. Like Deej said, take the "L." Take the Brown Line from Belmont to Quincy/Wells. If the Purple Line Express is running, take it instead so you can ride around the loop. Note how the Quincy/Wells station has been restored to look as it did when it was built in the 1800's. Walk north to Adams and Wells. Walk west on Adams past Sears (now Willis) tower, cross the river, and look for it on the southwest corner of Adams and Canal.

Regarding coffee shops, Intelligentsia has three locations (Broadway in Boystown, the original; on Randolph near Millennium Park, and in the Monadnock Building at Jackson and Dearborn). They serve some of the finest coffee in the US.

Coffee Chicago is also good. I believe they still have a location in Andersonville/Edgewater just north of Foster on Broadway. I would not walk there from Boystown...kinda rough in between the neighborhoods. Take the Red Line to Berwyn and walk west. It is right there. There are many other independent coffee shops in Chicago, most of which are very good.

You have to check out the Oak Tree at the top of the 900 North Michigan Avenue mall. It has been a Gold Coast institution for YEARS. It moved to the mall location after its location was torn down. (My memory is fading, but it might have been torn down to construct the mall). The views of the lake are stunning. I also recommend The Third Coast Cafe at 1260 North Dearborn Street. It is approximately a mile and a half north of the center of The Loop. The walk is very very pretty.

• 2 weeks later...
uhhhh, going to be meeting a guy there when he arrives into town...........

Best time to "visit" Union Station (apart when meeting and greeting a friend) would be when they close the Station for a private Tea Dance or a party ... not sure if this is still done nowadays and they can still "afford" it. Not to mention that the now defunct FireBall Chicago used to take place in the Great Hall of Union Station. Ah, those times ... :)

http://ivancarlson.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/union-station-room-shot.jpg?w=512&h=384 http://www.highsight.org/site/pics/961/106996/368964/520983/eve_of_the_eve_12-30-10-064.jpg

Back in the 1980's and early 1990's, Lake Shore Drive was routinely closed due to high winds and waves off Lake Michigan. Several high-rise building parking structures would sustain severe flooding. Sort of tapered off in the late 1990's as the lake level fell. Somewhat nostalgic to see the waves crashing across the bike/jogging path.

Check kayak.com, sometimes downtown hotels are actually as cheap as 79 dollars of course other times the rooms are $350 and up. Also occasionally on priceline I hear of someone getting a downtown room for $49 but be careful because they might consider near McCormick place as downtown and while it's okay to stay there it is actually a mile or two from downtown and so sort of inconvenient. I recomment the Loop or the area in River north or around the Magnificent mile with my ultimate preference being the north east side of the loop or adjacent south side of the magnificent mile or river north. Places like the Wit or hotel Monaco or Trump will be a block or two from Michigan ave (Magnificent Mile) and right at the intersection of nearly every train line in the city. Plus along the river and in the Loop are some wonderful sights to walk and see.

But staying up in Lakeview is also cool, others have mentioned some good places but my preference would be again to be right next to transit and services. When you want to walk along the lake or in a residential neighborhood who cares if you have to walk a few blocks but when you want to go somewhere or get something to eat it is nice to have your train, taxis, buses, etc RIGHT there. So the fairly economical City Suites is adjacent to the Belmont Red line 'L' which has service 24/7, there are taxis all day and night, a cool gay/mixed bar (Berlin) across the street, several restaurants and stores, and it is a block and a half to Halsted where there are another 20 gay bars or so.

Getting downtown from Midway is easy on the Orange line and there are several motels out that way but the Orange line doesn't run all night so that is a drag and Cicero avenue where most of the motels are located is not very pleasant or interesting.

There is a cluster of motels and hotels near O'hare and the Blue line DOES run all night but you'll spend a half hour to an hour or more just getting anywhere and so that kind of sucks.

There are a couple of cheaper places in Lincoln Park that would be fine and a short cab ride or not a bad walk to Boystown such as the Days Inn and Inn at Lincolnpark.

There are a few options but not many in interesting neighborhoods like Andersonville, Rogers Park, Wicker Park, Lincoln Square and even Logan Square.

Oh and staying out by the airports or in the suburbs is sometimes not good for hosting guys as some don't go out there.

If you like walking and architecture I urge you to look hard for someplace downtown ( The Loop, River North, or Mag mile/Streeterville) or failing that someplace in Lakeview, LincolnPark, or Old Town.

Feel free to ask me about any specific place, I've walked and bicycled nearly every street in the above mentioned areas.

Raul

Will be making a pleasure trip to Chicago late next month going into Midway....I like to walk a lot and don't plan to rent a car except for maybe one day for outlying attractions....a neighbor is from there and will give me advice, but wanted to ask here, too....

Downtown hotels are, of course, pricey on weekdays and I don't really want to spend that kind of money for the purposes of this trip (history, museums, architecture, lakeshore biking/walking).....but don't want to stay in a cheaper downtown dump in case I host a dude or two.....

So I'm wondering if there are specific suburban areas with high concentrations of the typical Hyatts, Hiltons, Marriotts, Westins, etc. that are usually less expensive than downtown places....AND which are near some sort of mass transit to downtown.....maybe even Midway has this?.....thinking of those areas we see that are sorta business-oriented, near some freeway interchange, maybe a mall nearby, and three or four mid-rise hotels sitting around.....

Sorry to sound like a cheapskate.....would rather spend the money on myself or a dude than a hotel (expense account won't cover this one!)......

And what are the transport options from Midway to various areas of Chicago....I will look at the Midway website, but wanted to ask the locals.....

Thanks for the advice....appreciate it....more questions later

hotel dilemma solved!....urged by the posters here to stay downtown, I found a very good "winter" (??!!) rate at the well-positioned Hyatt for my four nights later this month.....I know it's not in the top tier (Peninsula, Four Seasons, Ritz) of downtown lodging, but definitely good enough for humble me....I do like to walk a lot, so not having to pour myself into a train at the end of the day to head back out to an airport setting is very nice....thanks to all for the advice............

thanks, Raul, for the offer to answer more questions.....may take you up on that later....appreciate it......

I'm now watching the "American Experience" series on "Chicago: City of the Century", made in 2003....excellent production....now want to go see the sites of Mrs. O'Leary's barn (I know the legend is not true), Haymarket Square, Back of the Yards, and all the history.....

Suggestion

Check up on google and the internet ahead of time to see if the historic "sites" still exist. We drove by the location of Mrs. O'Leary's barn last year, and I think it is now a fire station and parking lots. The same is true of a number of the others. And they are scattered all over the city and it will take time and effort to get to them..

On the other hand, the Chicago Historical Society, up on the Near North Side in Lincoln Park is a superb repository of Chicago history and artifacts. If you are interested in the history of Chicago, I would recommend this above all. And the riverboat architecture tour. There are also fascinating tours by L car. You meet at a downtown L stop with your architecture guide, get on a special L car, and they take you on various lines to explain the history of the city and its various neighborhoods, and you can see it all from the air! Great fun. I think the tours are run by the same group of architectural historians as do the river tour.

Hyatt is an excellent choice.

thanks Karl.....I do know the O'Leary barn site is gone now (torn down about 1960, I read?) and replaced by a small statue in the shape of flames on the grounds of the Fire Academy or something....I like to go stand on the sites of famous events, even if all evidence of that event or history is gone....funny that way, I guess

and the neighbor I have from Chicago has highly recommended the architecture boat tour and the Hist Soc......I'm much into history and architecture, so those have always been on the top of my list.....

can any natives suggest very old neighborhoods that are mostly intact and not gentrified??....they can be really crappy, but I want to see the oldest 'hoods that have not been bulldozed.....

more later.....thanks for the comments.....very helpful

Azur and Bicycles

Two blocks directly south of the Hyatt is Azur, one of the most unusual skyscrapers in the world. It is 82 stories high and the balconies look like white-caps from Lake Michigan breaking on the sides. Every balcony is a different size and shape. They are not only visually interesting, but serve the function of breaking up the wind harmlessly. For the first time, people on the 81st floor can actually walk out on their balconies without being swept away. (There are no balconies on the Hancock Building, Sears/Willis Tower, etc.)

Azur was designed by a lady architect in Chicago and it is the only skyscraper in the world designed by a woman. Three weeks ago she received a MacArthur Genius Grant for her creative and innovative buildings.

And one block directly south of Azur, at Randolph and Grant Park, is a place to rent bicycles. You are one block from the lake path and ready to go!

thanks Karl.....I do know the O'Leary barn site is gone now (torn down about 1960, I read?) and replaced by a small statue in the shape of flames on the grounds of the Fire Academy or something....I like to go stand on the sites of famous events, even if all evidence of that event or history is gone....funny that way, I guess

and the neighbor I have from Chicago has highly recommended the architecture boat tour and the Hist Soc......I'm much into history and architecture, so those have always been on the top of my list.....

can any natives suggest very old neighborhoods that are mostly intact and not gentrified??....they can be really crappy, but I want to see the oldest 'hoods that have not been bulldozed.....

more later.....thanks for the comments.....very helpful

If you're really up for adventure, or want to see the Museum of Science and Industry, wander ovfer to the University of Chicago. Great Old Stuff (the oriental institute); the most amazing Frank LLoyd WRight building (Roie house); and a Henry Moore object (? statue) on the spot where the first self-sustained Nuclear Pile was maade (Used to be under the squash courts).

Furth west of downtown is Oak Park (my home town) here you can see multiple Frank Lloyd WQright buildings in a few hours (most are private homes and therefore not open) and see his own Home and Studio. When I was a kid, they were mostly ignored. How 40 years makes a difference!

Oh, and oak park is at the end of the ... ? green line. (II still think of it as the Lake Street L.) hard to loose the old names.

Archived