Greece - Athens, Santorini and Mykonos - Oct. 3 - 13

jasoncarter_dfw
This topic is 4604 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Jason, in Athens you need to take the subway that they redid for the Olympics. They have exhibits like you would find in a museum where they dug up antiquities for the tunnels. Of course you have to do the Acropolis and all of the ancient ruins sites. In Santorini, you can ride a donkey up the mountain when you get into the port or take the inclination. We went to the other side of the island and hung out on the beaches- it is just a beautiful place! In Mykonos, you can go to the nude beach(Super Paradise) or the regular one- accessible by the bus system. At night, the action takes place downtown. Have a great time!

Dear Jason, When you need a break from Mykonos go to the quiet and mysterious island of Delos (sacred to Apollo and the birthplace of the god). It is a short (20 min ???) boat trip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delos

The ruins are not as spectacular as some other sites, but there is a quiet presence of the ancient gods that cannnot be explained. It needs to be felt. This is not a trip for you if you are in a party mood, but if you want to vist (and visit with) Apollo, Delos is your spot.

Jason, in Athens you need to take the subway that they redid for the Olympics. They have exhibits like you would find in a museum where they dug up antiquities for the tunnels. Of course you have to do the Acropolis and all of the ancient ruins sites. In Santorini, you can ride a donkey up the mountain when you get into the port or take the inclination. We went to the other side of the island and hung out on the beaches- it is just a beautiful place! In Mykonos, you can go to the nude beach(Super Paradise) or the regular one- accessible by the bus system. At night, the action takes place downtown. Have a great time!

Well Super Paradise is not the only nude beach. It's the busiest and gayest, even if October it's already a month when u will find much less people and chaos, of course also at night in downtown Mykonos. Elia beach is also very very beautiful, and even better is the remote beach of Panormos. It can be already a bit cool especially at night, but you still should have great beach days. I also recommend a morning trip to Delos. The ferry crossing can be a bit scary if the sea is rough, but the visit is really worthy! I have seen the evolution (and involution...) of Mykonos since the first time I went there almost 30 years ago, I am very fond of this island.

Santorini is also unique, very different. DON'T miss a trip to Ea, of course!

I went in 1996 and had a wonderful time. I strongly second the Delos suggestion.

In Santorini, I took a boat ride to the caldera and swam in the warm sulfur waters. The boat then took us to a village where we enjoyed a lunch in a village that hadn't modernized like the main town.

In Athens, I fucked a hot Greek guy and was amazed someone so good-looking and hunky wanted to bottom for me!

• 2 weeks later...
Any tips/suggestions of things we should see & do would be greatly appreciated...thanks! :)

Go to http://www.Fodors.com and read the various posts that are on the specific related forums. You might also wish to join and post a question or two.

You will get the "Must sees and dos!" I have when I've written about other cities and countries, etc.......

Jason,

I also enjoyed a day trip out of Athens and up to Delphi. The oracle told me that for health and longevity I should hook up with you one day.

A wise oracle indeed! ;-)

Looking forward to this trip. I have been to 10 european countries and for some reason I am looking forward to this one the most for some reason! :) I will report once I get back.

I wonder what effect the current unrest in Greece owing to the financial crisis could have on tourists. I heard today that there will be a general strike on Wednsday. Wouldn't that halt all trains, boats, buses, etc to say nothing about other amenities that tourists depend on such as banks, government-run outlets, theatres, tourist attractions etc? At this time Greece is the epicentre for the financial crisis in Europe.

Today's NYTimes says the general strike in Greece is on today. All international travel is suspended, no trains, ferries remain in port and no public transport, etc. If one is planning to move around Greece with its many islands, this will cause a major headache. Still, I understand it's only a one day strike but not sure about that or if it will be repeated.

Today's NYTimes says the general strike in Greece is on today. All international travel is suspended, no trains, ferries remain in port and no public transport, etc. If one is planning to move around Greece with its many islands, this will cause a major headache. Still, I understand it's only a one day strike but not sure about that or if it will be repeated.

Well...

my connecting flight Athens - Santorini on Olympic Airways was cancelled due to the air traffic controllers strike starting at 9pm the night before the general strike. I was arriving later than my client, so they arranged for my client to go on ahead to Santorini with out me. I was put up in a hotel overnight in downtown Athens and then put on the Blue Star ferry to Santorini in the morning (the ferries did not go on strike). I missed a bit of my trip but the travel agency handled it wonderfully and my client was happy to see me at the ferry pier. I enjoyed Santorini and arrived in Mykonos today. Will post more info upon my return!

Archived