M'Lord Gcursor

gcursor
This topic is 4720 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Um...

so I'm kind of new to this. Is there some kind of swearing-in ceremony for Lords? and how do I get to be addressed as a Lord? I kind of miss being a Knight because I always think of myself as a Knight. I have NO idea how to pretend to be a Lord. I mean can I SMOTE people now and stuff?

Gcursor

Um...

so I'm kind of new to this. Is there some kind of swearing-in ceremony for Lords? and how do I get to be addressed as a Lord? I kind of miss being a Knight because I always think of myself as a Knight. I have NO idea how to pretend to be a Lord. I mean can I SMOTE people now and stuff?

Gcursor

Is this a 'Life Peerage" you have attained or the higher ranking "Hereditary" one. ;-))

Guest Rich.

It's a forum Poolboy, and Gcursor is hiring. It's not likely to be hereditary. :rolleyes:

Hopefully this may clear up any confusion! :)

Upon accepting a peerage, a citizen becomes a Peer of the Realm immediately upon the granting of the 'Letters Patent' and then receiving the first 'Writ of Summons'. This writ, based upon the original writ of Edward III, defines the role and obligations of a new peer. New peers become Members of the House of Lords after being formally introduced at the introduction ceremony, and has taken (or affirms) an Oath of Allegiance for the first time. The Oath of Allegiance must be taken at each new Parliament before a peer may sit in the House of Lords. The procedure of Letters Patent, Writ of Summons, Introduction and Oath of Allegiance collectively represent a contract which is 'Binding in Honour'. [16]

Taking the oath in the House of Lords

The swearing in procedure for taking the oath is similar in the House of Lords. Immediately after the Royal Commission for the opening of Parliament, Members of the Lords present their writs of summons at the Table of the House and take the oath or subscribe to the affirmation. Members are also required to sign an undertaking to abide by the House of Lords Code of Conduct as part of the swearing in procedure for the new 2010 Parliament. This implements a new Code of Conduct, agreed by the House on 30 November 2009.

Richard

Guest Rich.
u guys know that the reason I asked about "Lord" is because I just attained that level on the forum, right?

Gcursor

Nope. Unaware. I thought with the Canadian visit you were just trying to clamber up the social ladder. Oh, fuck! :(

Richard

Cappuccino?

PK:

Do you know if I get access to the Cappuccino machine at this level?

Gcursor

There usually is a small ceremony and I am sure you will be blessed with it once the vacationing slows.

I have NO idea how to pretend to be a Lord.

This info from Wikipedia should clarify everything in a jiffy:

Lord is a title with various meanings. It can denote a prince or a feudal superior (especially a feudal tenant who holds directly from the king, i.e., a baron). The title today is mostly used in connection with the peerage of the United Kingdom or its predecessor countries, although some users of the title do not themselves hold peerages, and use it 'by courtesy'. The title may also be used in conjunction with others to denote a superior holder of an otherwise generic title, in such combinations as "Lord Mayor" or "Lord Chief Justice". The title is primarily taken by men, while women will usually take the title 'lady'. However, this is not universal, as the Lord of Mann and female Lord Mayors are examples of women who are styled 'lord'.

In the UK, the House of Lords (known commonly as 'the Lords') forms the upper house of Parliament. Here all peers are treated as lords but there are three different classifications:

Most lords who hold peerages created before the passage of the Life Peerages Act 1958 (and a handful who hold peerages created after then) are hereditary peers, who until 1999 constituted the most numerous category of lords sitting in the House. There are in excess of 700 lords whose titles may be inherited, however since the House of Lords Act 1999, they are no longer guaranteed a seat in the Lords and instead must take part in an election for a total of ninety-two seats. All male peers of England, Great Britain and the United Kingdom were before 1999 entitled to sit in the House of Lords by virtue of their title. Peeresses were granted the right to sit in 1963. Peers of Scotland and Ireland, however, historically had limitations on their right to sit at Westminster. Between 1707 and 1963, Scottish peers participated in elections to determine which of them would take the sixteen seats allocated to them. Elections were abolished in 1963, and from that time until 1999 all Scottish peers and peeresses were entitled to sit. Irish peers participated in similar elections between 1801 and 1922, when the Irish Free State was established. Elections of Irish peers ceased in 1922, however already-elected Irish representative peers remained entitled to sit until their death. The last Irish representative peer to die was Francis Needham, 4th Earl of Kilmorey, who died in 1961. Many Irish peers also hold peerages of Great Britain and the United Kingdom, which entitled them to sit in the House (without the necessity of being elected a representative peer) until 1999.

The importance of hereditary lords has declined steadily following the increase in the appointment of life peers. These peers are entitled to sit in the House of Lords for the duration of their life, but cannot transfer their titles to their heirs. They are rarely above the rank of baron. The first life peers were appointed to assist the House of Lords in exercising its judicial functions under the Appellate Jurisdiction Act 1876. Widespread appointment of life peers was enabled by the passage of the Life Peerages Act 1958. Since that Act was passed, some 1,086 life peers have been created. The only hereditary privilege associated with life peerages is that children of life peers are entitled to style themselves 'The Honourable (firstname) (surname)'.

These first two groups are collectively termed Lords Temporal as opposed to the third type of lord sitting in the House known as Lords Spiritual (or spiritual peers). This group consists of twenty-six Church of England bishops who are appointed in order of superiority. Unlike Lords Temporal, who can be appointed from any of the four nations of the UK, only bishops with English Sees are eligible to sit in the Chamber. Bishops of the Church of Scotland traditionally sat in the Parliament of Scotland but were excluded in 1638 following the Scottish Reformation. There are no longer bishops in the Church of Scotland in the traditional sense of the word, and that Church has never sent members to sit in the Westminster House of Lords. The Church of Ireland ceased to send bishops to sit after disestablishment in 1871. The Church in Wales ceased to be a part of the Church of England in 1920 and was simultaneously disestablished in Wales. Accordingly, bishops of the Church in Wales were no longer eligible to be appointed to the House as bishops of the Church of England.

Any questions? There will be a quiz.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived