Getting your AM off to a not so healthy start...

Cooper
This topic is 4893 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

What's for breakfast? How many of you eat breakfast in the AM? ... and, if so, what's on your menu?

Before retirement breakfast for me was something quick and on the run as I had to be on the road by 6:30am... Now, I have more time and enjoy a big "healthy" :confused: breakfast to get my day started.

My bf and I enjoy cooking and breakfast together has become a nice way to start our AM.

We've fallen in love with our Keurig coffee maker. He likes "extra bold" and I a mild blend. He takes it with low fat milk and sugar, I take mine with French Vanilla Coffee-Mate.

Forget going to IHOP...Yesterday's breakfast was Western omeletes... today's, pancakes topped with blueberries, strawberries, bananas, cool whip, and syrup, with a side of bacon and a Lipitor. Then, we take the dog out for an hour's walk along the Harbor. All this a courtesy of retirement.

Whether it's omelets, pancakes, eggs, cereal, etc., we always enjoy a Mimosa with our breakfast.

Next weekend a lurker from Hooville will be staying with us for a few days. He's joined me on many of my Montreal trips and always Cora's (restaurant) for breakfast. I'm hoping to prove we can do it just as well. :)

Cheers to getting your morning off to a good start!

Coop

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Breakfast of champions!

I've also dropped 45 pounds off this 55 year old body in the last six months.[/size][/i][/font]

Congrats Instudiocity... Good going! I know that couldn't have been easy especially around the holidays... :cool:

Coop

Mine goes a little something like this- Yogurt, Granola, Skim milk with Kashi GO LEAN fortified with fiber and protein, and an array of supplements for the gym. I always try to convince myself that I will be up at 7 running....oops :( but thats what the tread mills are for in the gym :) Cheers to healthy, smart, and longevity!!

I get up really early, say around 5:00 a.m. Drink a large glass of selzer with lime. Start the day with a 3-5 mile run in the park, or 45 minutes other cardio depending on weather conditions. Thereafter, breakfast consists of a large bowl with: seasonal fruits (but mostly berries) a handful of roasted almonds, walnuts, organic raisins and non-fat high quality yoghurt. I snack on seaonsal fruits and nuts during the morning. I never eat eggs, but when I do I'll have them poached with a seven grain toast. NEVER: bacon, breakfast sausage, waffles, fried chicken, syrup, high fructose cereals, waffles ... just NEVER, EVER.

In addition, I stopped drinking alcohol 9 months ago. So no mimosas for me either. With all that, I dropped 15 lbs and my waist line is back to where it was when I was 21 years old. And feeling great!

I have something different almost every day. One morning it's granola with 2% milk, another scrambled Eggbeaters, another toast or muffin with honey, another fried eggs with bacon or sausage (also fried potatoes if I am in a restaurant), another a danish, etc. This morning it was a piece of lemon poundcake. I have been known to even eat something odd, like pesto pasta or hamburger. Whatever the main dish, I always start with a glass of orange or grapefruit juice, preferably from my own trees, plus some kind of fruit: banana, pineapple, kiwi, berries, apples, peaches, pears, mangos, etc. And afterwards, a cup of coffee. Most mornings I then go off to play tennis at 8am (7 in summer) for a couple of hours.

All my life I have eaten a full breakfast every morning, and I would find it very difficult to function without it.

I get up Monday through Friday at 4:30 a.m. I get to the gym by 5 and do cardio for an hour. I then go for coffee (black) with friends from 6 to 7 and return home for a banana. On the weekends I don't go to the gym thus I get up an hour later and after coffee with friends I have chopped fresh fruit with yoqurt, ganola, and a dash of honey.

I rotate: Cereal (usually hot, whole grain) with milk (dairy, soy, rice or almond) and a piece of fruit; Toast with jam and piece of fruit; A smoothie; Occasionally I'll through an egg in; Leftovers from the night before - usually soup. Weekends I may throw in homemade pancakes.

Breakfast need to be ready in 10 minutes for me. I have no patience in the morning.

Occasionally, I'll splurge for a g'morning feast (I love to cook and eat a stack of pancakes, bacon or sausage, eggs, slow-cooked grits, etc) but since I know it's a long-term killer to eat like that regularly (dang it!), for the past 20 years, almost every morning has been a bowl of cereal (different varieties, at least 3g fiber and less than 10g sugar per serving), a banana, and a small glass of grape or cran-grape juice (low sugar). Occasionally, I substitute a bowl of oatmeal for the cereal.

All of a sudden, I'm lusting for IHOP. :)

Well after hitting the gym at 5 AM (I love it -- you can get whatever cardio equipment you want) it's just a simple bowl of oatmeal. Quick oats or rolled oats. Since I'm on a 6 time a day eating plan, I'm only at about 300-400 calories a meal so by the time you put in a bit of sugar, honey and milk, I'm there.

And I haven't dropped 45 pounds like my good friend ISC (I did that the previous 6 months), I've dropped about 15 pounds of fat and added about 16 pounds of muscle in the last 3 months with body fat down 8% in the same time so cardio plus strength training plus diet works. Plus not wanting to make a complete ass of yourself at Palm Springs as motivation.

I LOVE breakfast, and it is as varied as I can make it. Often it is a banana or an orange, followed a bit later with a bowl of regular cherrios, skim milk and blueberries, rasberries or strawberries. Other days it might be scrambled eggs with low salt ham, onions and no-fat cheese. On weekends, I might treat myself to a belgium waffle, whole wheat pancakes or even a bagle with light strawberry or blueberry cream cheese. I am at the gym five days a week, three days with a personal trainer and two or three days for cardio with treadmill, eliptical trainer or stationary bike. Weight loss and building muscle are two goals of mine and a good breakfast starts off the day for me. Oh, and I often have oatmeal with berries and skim milk too.

Because I eat my breakfast every workday at the office, it is fairly simple but does hold me till lunch. I also am going to the gym first thing in the AM when I arrive in Boston. When I get to the office, I have a light yogurt with granola mixed in and a banana on the side....occasionally an orange juice rounds out the meal...then coffee to get me working. It amazes me how many guys here have seriously lost weight later in life. I as well lost 65 lbs.in the last year and 1/2. I was motivated by my new found interest in men and remember from my youth the the 3 things dreaded most when gay were: age, fat, and hair....Having all three got me to do what I could about what I had.

Weekdays I'm at the gym by 5:30 or 6:00 am. On returning, I have a protein shake, then after I shower and shave, fresh squeeze orange juice, chocolate soy milk, and a bowl of cereal from the health food section of the grocery, with dried fruit mixed in - and my morning low-dose aspirin tablet. On weekends the gym doesn't open until later, but I usually go at about 8. Have the protein shake afterwards, and make my orange juice, but got out with friends for brunch about 10 or 10:30.

High protein and low-carb

For me breakfast is a ritual: EGG WHITE OMELET with chicken breast, cottage cheese and veggies, a fresh fruit or a smoothie (I prefer berries: highly antioxidants, but I also I vary with kiwi and banana). Depending on whether I'm on a low-carb diet I can skip the whole wheat toast and the cereals (taken with low fat soy milk). Similar to BaronArtz I never eat bacon, breakfast sausage, fried food, belgian waffles, muffins, pancakes, syrup, jam or any kind of preservatives.

For me breakfast is the most important meal of the day - copious but healthy. I think there was an asian saying "Keep breakfast for yourself, share lunch with your friend and give dinner to your enemy".

What a healthy eating group of men we have here... BaronArtz, now that you've stopped drinking and lost all that weight, how am I supposed to recognize you at the 20Club?... Btw, those of you who lost 40+lbs in the past year, what did you eat for breakfast prior to that? Keep up those good eating and exercising habits, you are an inspiration to all of us.

Coop

Btw, those of you who lost 40+lbs in the past year, what did you eat for breakfast prior to that?

Coop

Coop,

Prior to my better eating habits and gym attendance, I never ate breakfast..For most of my life, I skipped it, thinking to save the calories...not realizing that there are good calories and bad calories.

Guest greatness

You guys are so cute together~~

My bf and I enjoy cooking and breakfast together has become a nice way to start our AM.

After losing 60 lbs with a medically supervised diet plan in the first half of 2010 (and putting back on 15 during the holidays) I'm back to the strict diet plan in 2011 until those 15 are gone again. Breakfast now consists of a protein shake or two depending on my work calendar and when I will be able to eat my next meal. On days when my exercise routine will be mostly cardio, I add a banana.

Guest greatness

Joe you eat so healthy. I eat oatmeal for breakfast. I used to be slim but gained a lot lately. I am shedding pounds now..

I don't eat bacon, sausage, pancakes, muffins, waffles, toast, I do like fried chicken but iv never had a alcoholic beverage in my life

Cooper, I dream of having your start to every day: including retirement and someone to share it with. I dream of your exact menu. But I am not there yet. Tonight, before coming to the board, I was thinking of how to find someone to share all this with. I am fortunate and at the same time all alone with so much beauty all around me. I have fresh coffee for breakfast. How boring and then i m off to a big day of work. I have a lot to work on. Guys, including to a constant battle with weight, how can I find someone to share it with? Cooper, more to ya! Hope to meet you some day! Sincerely and with lots of love for all of you!

happyguy (who longs for being continually happy)

Guest greatness

I hope you can achieve your dream!!! happyguy2.. and you will! Big hugs~~~

Cooper, I dream of having your start to every day: including retirement and someone to share it with. I dream of your exact menu. But I am not there yet. Tonight, before coming to the board, I was thinking of how to find someone to share all this with. I am fortunate and at the same time all alone with so much beauty all around me. I have fresh coffee for breakfast. How boring and then i m off to a big day of work. I have a lot to work on. Guys, including to a constant battle with weight, how can I find someone to share it with? Cooper, more to ya! Hope to meet you some day! Sincerely and with lots of love for all of you!

happyguy (who longs for being continually happy)

Archived