Have You Ever Seen A Baby Porcupine ?

josephga
This topic is 5011 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest greatness

I don't think porcupine quills are poisonous. It is just coated with keratin. Keratin is one of the structural proteins that make up the outer layer of human skin. You mean it is poisonous because you can get infected??

I am not about to defend porcupines but they don't throw quills. Someone or something has to get close enough for them to detach from the body of the porcupine. They are only loosely attached to the porcupine but the barb on the end will rather firmly attach to your skin.

Best regards,

KMEM

really cute~! They get so much bigger~!

One time Nanook, (my wolf), and I were up on Mt. Adams in Washington and we stumbled upon an adult. Nanook went up to him and the porkie proceeded to shoots his quills into Nanooks nose~ OUCH~! They have those revere spins on them. It was a bitch to get them out~

Tyger~!

http://www.tygrescent.biz

tygerkink@yahoo.com

really cute~! They get so much bigger~!

One time Nanook, (my wolf), and I were up on Mt. Adams in Washington and we stumbled upon an adult. Nanook went up to him and the porkie proceeded to shoots his quills into Nanooks nose~ OUCH~! They have those revere spins on them. It was a bitch to get them out~

Tyger~!

http://www.tygrescent.biz

tygerkink@yahoo.com

You have a wolf? Wow ! I only knew of one person with a wolf dog hybrid and it scared me-his stare was just too intense ! But most big dogs spook me-much prefer the lap dogs and maybe labs , goldens and perhaps a collie!

Probably putting my foot in my mouth but...

The operative words are "sort of." Wolves are physically similar to dogs but the internal programming differs enough to make them unsafe pets for most people. I had a friend with a 1/2 wolf pet. Magnificant animal (the 1/2 wolf, I mean, although the owner wasn't bad either) but my friend put a lot of effort into making sure he was properly socialized to be safe around people.

One big difference with dogs is that wolves are hard wired to challenge you as pack leader even after you have established an initial dominance relationship. And a wolf may read behavior you (as a hairless ape) see as friendly and accommodating as weakness & a chance for him to become the alpha male. Unlike us apes only the alpha males breed, so it's quite an important issue for him. ;)

Oh, and the proper word is tamed (sort of). Wolves can be tamed, dogs are domesticated. Big, big difference. I've probably left out something important, but my point is that wolves (& 1/2 wolves) are beautiful, wonderful animals but not the sort of fellows you want to try to turn into pets.

Archived