Iceland Plume

glutes
This topic is 4754 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am stranded in Toronto on my way back to Athens. So far airlines are recommending to reschedule, but they don't have any specific date for the resuming of the flights.

How am I coping with it?

Visiting with old friends, seeing clients who I had been unable to see because of my tight schedule, and having fun, really.

I do hope being back home soon, though.

Big hug to you all!

Juan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That will definitely depends on whether I can get out of here or not.

Are you thinking of visiting Toronto?

It is strange, whenever I come here I always stay longer than intended. Sometimes clients convince me, sometimes fun tempts me and now an ash plume.

Have to confess that I am having a great time.

How about coming to DC?

Hey Juan,

We can provide a warm and fun time here in DC without ash. I know there are a lot of guys here, including me, who would love to see you drop down to DC for a few days. Send me a private message if that is possible. :D

An ass plume?

Really, Juan, no need to accessorize it. I have seen it. Whether for the very first time.... in tight leather or literally, on the tip of my tongue, many times... you have one gorgeous ass...

So, why the rush? Greece will always be there. Broke and in ruins, but still there.... just kidding. Not like Oklahoma.... now, that's a place you need to hurry back to. OK. Maybe not.

Your public clamors for you. You and a certain blonde.

No camera required.

Okie

I'm sure KMEM knows all about this one but the pilots flying a British Airways 747 over Jakarta in 1982 didn't have a clue. All they knew was that the cabin was filling with smoke, the four engines were in flames and, one by one, they each shut down. The radar showed clear skies ahead, but the fact was the plane had turned into a giant glider with nowhere to land but the Indian Ocean. The pilot was unable to start the engines and, at 36,000 feet and sinking, the oxygen masks began to drop down. Not all of them, however, and the pilot dropped another 6,000 feet quickly to bring oxygen into the cabin. The crew did their best to keep everyone calm, but they and the 263 passengers knew they were in trouble.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/01_wk4/crash270107DM_228x142.jpg

As the plane dropped to 13,000 feet, the engines came back to life. The pilot made a beeline for the Jakarta airport. He now discovered that the windshield was opaque and he was able to see the runway only through a one-inch clear sliver of glass on the left-hand side. He made a perfect landing with everyone on board safe and sound.

Only later did he learn that he had flown through an ash cloud sent up by the Mount Galunggung volcano which had erupted earlier that day. Although the ash had filled the cabin, shut down all four engines, and sandblasted the windshield, it contained no moisture so it went completely undetected by the radar. His 23,000 foot drop put the plane below the ash cloud and allowed the engines to start back up again for a safe, albeit terrifying, landing.

I was never more impressed by Rolls Royce than when I watched this frightening re-creation on the National Geographic channel a few years ago. To hear those engines come back to life must have been the closest thing to a miracle the folks on that plane had ever experienced.

As inconvenienced as folks may be by the Iceland eruption, they can thank their lucky stars for the lessons learned from BA Flight 009.

I'm certain Juan and his many friends are continuing to celebrate their good fortune.

And with our very good wishes. :)

Wait wait wait. Im getting in on this One Juan if you gonna tour around the us a trip NY is a must. Come on you can hub through here to anywhere. I've heard such raves if I had realized you were in the states ... anyway Please plan a trip back I know a few people here in ny and at least one in Chicago dying To make your acquaintance /reacquaintance as the case may be

Despite all the humour and inconsequential comments about such things as missed flights and the like, if this volcanic eruption is anything like Kratatoa or some of the other major eruptions of the past, we will be experiencing far worse than what is apparent now.

Think of "nuclear winter". A major volanic eruption could affect harvests world-wide, weather and the like for two years or more, causing $billions in damage and many deaths.

It is still too soon to say but this could be a major disaster much worse than the earthquakes we have been experiencing lately.

BTW, does anyone know whether this volcano has stopped its eruption or might it continue for up to 2 years, as I heard one reporter say? If it gets worse, then we ain't seen nuttin yet!

Lookin-

Some one always has to go first, don't they? Speedbird Zero Zero Niner was lucky in some ways and relied upon their skill and training in other ways. On board weather radar CAN see things other than water but it is optimized to see rainfall. Snow, sleet, hail don't show up nearly as well as rain drops. The ocean shows up rather nicely if you point the antenna down as do some land features but, obviously, not volcanic ash.

Otherwise, they all were just along for the ride until in flight engine relight procedures worked. First the engines had to shed as much of the debris ash as possible which was accomplished by the engines continuing to "turn" after departing the cloud, then they had to get low enough for the relight to happen for sure. Probably both more or less happened at the same time.

Good job. No reason to go for a repeat performance now.

Best regards,

KMEM

"BTW, does anyone know whether this volcano has stopped its eruption or might it continue for up to 2 years, as I heard one reporter say?"

According to a vulcanologist a couple of days back (sorry, can't find link), this particular volcano is highly variable in its eruptions. Going by its history, it will probably settle down this week, rarely goes on for as long as 2 or 3 months, and once kept popping for 8 or 9 months. Or it could go into off and on mode for a few months.

In other words, he didn't know for sure, thought it likely that things would be over before May, but acknowledged a significant risk of long term disruption to air travel.

BTW, does anyone know whether this volcano has stopped its eruption or might it continue for up to 2 years, as I heard one reporter say? If it gets worse, then we ain't seen nuttin yet!

I don't think anyone knows. Same with floods and earthquakes. We may get a warning for an asteroid, but not much to do about it.

Seems to me all we can do is be nice to folks, in case we need a favor some day.

Despite all the humour and inconsequential comments about such things as missed flights and the like, if this volcanic eruption is anything like Kratatoa or some of the other major eruptions of the past, we will be experiencing far worse than what is apparent now.

Think of "nuclear winter". A major volanic eruption could affect harvests world-wide, weather and the like for two years or more, causing $billions in damage and many deaths.

It is still too soon to say but this could be a major disaster much worse than the earthquakes we have been experiencing lately.

From my view we have the typical media over reaction to a natural event be it earthquake, hurricane, landslide, shark attack, or volcano. Yes, it’s possible this eruption may last several years then again maybe not. We just don't know. What's clear to me from viewing all this media coverage is that there's a lot of time to fill in a 24 hour news cycle. Therefore, all this media chatter about "nuclear winters" and worldwide crop failure is mindless speculation ginned up to fill hour upon hour of time instead of covering the known facts.

Maybe we will experience a cooling effect caused by all that ash and carbon spewed into the atmosphere. But we could also get a greenhouse gas effect thus leading to rising temperatures. Perhaps Iceland should be cited by IPCC for creating major atmospheric pollution that will lead to possible positive or negative climate conditions.

Volcanoes have been erupting on this planet since its inception and will continue long after our species becomes extinct. This eruption, while newsworthy, is not yet the sign of a coming apocalypse despite US and European media efforts to have us believe such.

Oh, just fly over it. Just like any thunderstorm.

That's what you said above.

All aboard!

To not repeat meant don't fly through it. Obviously it has somewhat dissapated, else why are all those airline companies clamoring to get back in the air. They can't all have death wishes.

If you want to buy me a R-T ticket to Reykjavik I will go tomorrow.

Best regards,

KMEM

ArVaGuy-

Maybe BO can sic Al Gore on Iceland. I am positive he can make them sorry about any number of things.

Best regards,

KMEM

KMEM,

Iceland already has plenty of geothermic energy, addiding more hot air won't do much good. But not being of much good has never stopped Mr. Gore from attending a photo op. :rolleyes:

Considering Reykjavik wasn't affected that's quite an act of bravery.

Who said anything about bravery? It is just an interesting place to visit and, right now, somewhat close to the action.

Like I always tell my passengers. If it is dangerous, I am not going. However, with today's weather, it might be bumpy. Decide if you want to go or not and let me know.

Best regards,

KMEM

Click here to see Iceland's Fimmfördurhals volcano up close and personal.

Worth noting that the Earth's crust, on which we all make our happy home, is only 20 - 30 miles thick, or less than one percent of the way to the center of the Earth. Fimmfördurhals gives us a glimpse of what lies just below.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Earth-crust-cutaway-english.svg

here[/url] to see Iceland's Fimmfördurhals volcano up close and personal.

Worth noting that the Earth's crust, on which we all make our happy home, is only 20 - 30 miles thick, or less than one percent of the way to the center of the Earth. Fimmfördurhals gives us a glimpse of what lies just below.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Earth-crust-cutaway-english.svg

It is God's plan or Ma Natures or coincidence, take your pick. But, one way or another, it is the natural order of things that the earth should have a very hot core and not so many miles of crust. Personally, I prefer just a little bit of crust. :)

Best regards,

KMEM

Hey guys!

Thank you for all your good wishes. And also thank you for the dirty ones. Isn't variety what keeps the world turning?

Yes, I am overdue for a visit to the States. I have been quite often lately but I am always traveling with -or visiting someone-, and I cannot take clients. The last time I was in DC traveling on my own was when hurricane Gustav cut short a trip to New Orleans, so it would kind of make sense that I seek shelter again in one of your cities during this atmospheric emergency.

Does this make me shameless: using natural disasters to keep having fun?

Truth be told, I would love to visit you guys, but I am not very good with going to a city and posting an ad. I prefer to go where I have pre-booked appointments and people that I know, but if you have something specific in mind, I am really easy to tempt and corrupt. (Just ask Oklie.)

You are right, MsGuy, I feel very humbled by the no camera concession. Oklie... you are such a gentleman! I would love to visit you, so whenever I am in Northamerica, all you have to do is say the word. (And no, I don't mean the "Tijuanabackalley" word... or not necessarily. {You know what? that'd do just fine.}) Would love to see you and catch up; it has been too long. As for the blond one, I have been trying to coax him to do things lately but he is playing coy. If someone can convince him, that someone is you.

And guys, if it is not now, I really hope that I will have the chance to meet you soon.

A big hug, my dirtiest wishes and a a slow, deep kiss.

Always hard and warm,

Juan

416 268 2672

juanbruno@me.com

http://www.rentboy.com/Listing.aspx?lid=224423

http://www.daddysreviews.com/review.php?who=juan_vancouver*

Guest OCBeachbody

Well she missed the boat in Dubai, couldn't find any flight to reach over there. She was none to happy. As expected she came, most of the time though she was on the phone with her TA and trying to see if something could be worked out.

What is really sad too is not only the people who can't get to their vacation, but people who can't come home. Ouch some people ran out of money and are sleeping at the airports and trying to catch a plane home.

I know the news reported today that Greta Britain is sending it naval ships to France and Spain in order to get people back. I thought they could have taken the "chunnel" unless all those seats are booked as well.

Archived