IT HAS ARRIVED! THE NEW iPad!

Romann
This topic is 5140 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah sure the iPad and iPhone are pretty but would you buy a car with the hood sealed shut? One that only took a specific brand of gasoline? Would you buy a car in which you could only install a manufacturer aproved radio or GPS or whatever doohicky? One in which changing a flat tire might not only void the warranty but require reverse engineering?

I'm sad that people would buy a computer in which the only applications available are those approved by the manufacturer. The iPad is a touch screen computer but one that is severly limited by propietary closed software, no USB ports and avoidance of comliance with any standards. Why not buy a netbook or an Android device or a Nokia N900 or any number of other small touchscreen computers that does what the iPad does plus all the things you expect a computer to do.

The Nokia internet tablets run Linux so you can run things like Firefox, they have USB ports, replaceable batteries, and are compliant with actual published standards which allows for far greater interoperability and means the product is much more likely to have a useful life beyond what Apple (or even Nokia) decide should be the product's "end of life".

Why not buy a netbook or an Android device or a Nokia N900 or any number of other small touchscreen computers that does what the iPad does plus all the things you expect a computer to do.

That all sounds great but will these alternate devices run Mac OS X and have the same or higher levels of customer satisfaction and overall product reliability that Apple enjoys?

IMHO, Apple has done a fine job and whom I believe to be the leader in offering their customers full integration products that are connected to one another while making many of their products vehicles to use files and applications stored elsewhere. Right away I could see the iPad providing a lot of use for me while I'm traveling. It would be great to take the iPad with me which will do all the things I need typically while traveling and leave my MacBook at home which has much more critical data both business and personal stored on it. The iPad will take essential functions of my laptop and make them mobile enough in a much smaller device which is still capable of more utility such as movies, music and Internet surfing to name just a few. I'm only speaking for myself but since I made the switch from a PC for well over 15 years I finally made the switch to Apple and purchased my very first MacBook. PERFECTION all the way and now that I have my iPhone integrated into my MacBook through Apple's MobileMe network, there really isn't much more I could ask for with my Apple products/devices.

Now I will resign to the fact that the iPad as it stands now is lacking and I do think Apple pushed this product a bit too fast without releasing it with all the bells and whistles that their known for. They really could have hit the market with something spectacular with this device but I'm confident that the first generation device will become the new foundation for next years model release. They did it with their iPod, iPod Nano and the last 3 generations of iPhones so I think that it's safe to assume the same in this instance.

GF it is my understanding that Apple has no intention of supporting flash but some other program but I am blanking on what that program is. Deej, Daddy or someone more techie might be able to chime in on this one. But it is also my understanding that Palm and one or two other smart phone makers are in the works to bring flash to their products very soon.

I'm not much of a techie but it's my understanding that Apple supports HTML5 (whatever that is) over Flash. Steve Jobs has stated that HTML5 is the future of internet presentations so that explains why the iPad does not support Flash. Though, I'm sure there's a financial reason as well....like Jobs is heavily invested in HTML5 development no doubt. Given that Apple sets more than a few standards Adobe should worry.

That all sounds great but will these alternate devices run Mac OS X ...? ...

iPad and iPhone don't run proper MacOS X (not the real one for sure), if it did it would support multitasking. The "alternate" devices I mentioned run something better than MacOS X, they run Linux, which is a full featured Open-Source operating system, w/ of course multi-tasking, POSIX compliance, etc. BUT YES AS A MATTER OF FACT ONE CAN RUN MAC OS X on a nokia n900. Cuz unlike the iPad the N900 is an actual computer with published information on it's internals. But of course running something as big and slow as MAC OS X (one reason the iPad doesn't run it) would be silly.

For you to focus on smooth interoperability between APPLE devices is missing the point, which is you ought to be able to have interoperability with other brand devices and you ought to be able to choose to use or NOT use various propietary software addons.

Would you buy food that didn't list the ingredients, didn't conform to published standards, and couldn't necessarily be mixed with food bought elsewhere? Some of this Apple love reminds me of the kind of person who lists a recipe all brand name ingredients, use the medium package of Kraft noodles, and half a pack of Philadelphia brand cream cheese, 1/4 bottle Heinz ketchup, and Trader Joes salt. Tends to discourage innovation and limits your use in any situation out of the ordinary.

I'm not much of a techie but it's my understanding that Apple supports HTML5 (whatever that is) over Flash.

Apples and oranges.

Flash is a proprietary programming language requiring a proprietary compiler and a proprietary runtime engine (i.e. a program) running on your computer.

HTML is a standard describing the markup language used by every website everywhere. The only thing HTML requires is a browser that understands it.

The whole HTLM5 mystique is smoke and mirrors and a big load of BS. Apple just doesn't like Adobe. :eek:

HTML5 is the next major revision of the HTML markup language used to build webpages (among other things). It includes a new video tag which is intended to be a lightweight and standards-compliant means to allow webpage developers to directly embed high def video in their webpages without the need for Flash.

By the way, HTML5 should also reduce the need to use other proprietary technology, like Java and Silverlight.

HTML5 is the next major revision of the HTML markup language used to build webpages (among other things). It includes a new video tag which is intended to be a lightweight and standards-compliant means to allow webpage developers to directly embed high def video in their webpages without the need for Flash.

By the way, HTML5 should also reduce the need to use other proprietary technology, like Java and Silverlight.

I think there's some hype over-reaching capabilities here.

HTML is not a programming language and NEVER contains "how to" information. HTML contains information like:

"this element is a headline"

"this element is bolded"

"this element is underlined"

The rendering agent (i.e. the browser) interprets the document elements appropriately. (More or less.)

HTML does not and cannot contain executable code that plays a video.

We've had tags to play videos for years, and they rely on the browser reaching out into the surrounding operating system to call on the proper application to play the video. The HTML says:

"this element is a video"

and the browser plays the video, but it isn't HTML that plays the video.

HTML5 does somewhat simplify how authors specify "this is a video" but it does NOT provide any mechanism for playing those videos. We'll still be dependent on Flash, Silverlight, or whatever.

HTML doesn't render video, but the HTML5 standard calls for browsers themselves to implement video rendering without the need for external tools. In fact, some browsers are already capable of rendering video; Chrome, for example, can render H.264 video without any outside help. According to the standard, browsers that cannot render video are still allowed to use an external video playback tool. I just hope they do the right thing and ditch Flash, Silverlight, and Quicktime and just do it themselves.

Guest greatness

Aww

I love falling into sleep listening to a hot voice... It feels so safe and comforting. :)

I am still waiting for the one that you can have a conversation with...we were suppose to have those by 2010. I would love to have a HAL 9000 to tell me bedtime stories...;)

HTML doesn't render video, but the HTML5 standard calls for browsers themselves to implement video rendering without the need for external tools. In fact, some browsers are already capable of rendering video; Chrome, for example, can render H.264 video without any outside help. According to the standard, browsers that cannot render video are still allowed to use an external video playback tool. I just hope they do the right thing and ditch Flash, Silverlight, and Quicktime and just do it themselves.

I don't know where you got your information, but you need to go back to them and pee in their cornflakes. It's wrong.

HTML cannot and will not ever be able to specify browser capabilities. NO document can do that.

Guest OCBeachbody

LOL..... well Mac Computers talk..... already..... but do you want a talking computer?

"You shouldn't be looking at this website"

"Are you aware you been on the computer for 4 hours?"

"Do you think you should be spending that much money"

"Oh look what I think you might find interesting".....

lol..... talking computers with AI's are scary......lol

http://feartherobots.net/

While formal HTML5 approval is years away, browsers supporting the video tag in HTML5 are available now. This includes Chrome and Safari (no surprise). And you can participate in a YouTube beta for a new "HTML5 player" right now.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

I'm not sure if this is the smoke or the mirrors, but if you are adventurous and like technology, go for it.

While formal HTML5 approval is years away, browsers supporting the video tag in HTML5 are available now. This includes Chrome and Safari (no surprise). And you can participate in a YouTube beta for a new "HTML5 player" right now.

Wow! I just signed up for the YouTube beta using Safari. What a difference! The video started playing almost immediately, with no pauses during the video.

I checked to see what applications were running, and Flash Player was nowhere to be found. It used to hog 80%+ of the processor and make the cooling fan run. Now, only Safari is running. While Safari is rendering the video, processor use goes from 10% up to 25%, but it doesn't break a sweat.

At this point, full-screen is not available with Safari rendering the video, but that's a small price to pay for getting Flash Player out of my life. At least on YouTube.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

It appears Israel has banned imports of the iPad because its powerful WiFi signal might cause interference with other devices. In the U. S., the SEC allows higher WiFi broadcast levels than either Israel or Europe. According to this article, European officials have made no similar announcement.

Apple has delayed export sales until May 10th because of high demand in the U. S., but some iPad's have already found their way to Israel. If a tourist carries one in, Israeli customs will store it, for a fee, until the owner is ready to leave the country.

Not sure how Apple will respond, and perhaps they aren't either, until the Europeans weigh in. I guess one possibility would be to dial down the WiFi power level, although that would leave either two versions of the product, or a single hobbled version for everyone. Most likely, they'll try to negotiate something with Israel.

Oy. :rolleyes:

If you are headed to Israel...

you might not want to bring your iPad:

"JERUSALEM—Israel this week has been blocking travelers from bringing Apple Inc.'s new iPad into the country saying the device's wireless technology threatens to create interference with other products, a move that has puzzled people both in Israel and Silicon Valley.

The Ministry of Communications said the ban was instituted earlier this week because the iPad's Wi-Fi wireless technology was built to the U.S. standard, which allows stronger signals than those allowed in Europe and Israel.

"This device's wireless strengths violate Israeli law and will overpower other wireless devices in Israel," ministry spokesman Yechiel Shavi said. "

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304180804575188193529710852.html?KEYWORDS=iPad

Archived