IT HAS ARRIVED! THE NEW iPad!

Romann
This topic is 5139 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The iPad

I'll be visiting the Apple store to look the iPad over and get a demonstration. Undoubtedly it is an adjunct to the iMac. Steve Jobs is clever. He keeps it all in the family so that as a whole they work very well together. Not that they won't work with a PC but with a Mac they'll perform better.

What is the point of something that is too small to use as a regular working computer and too large to be convenient as a portable phone? Oh, I get it--one is supposed to buy three different devices, even though they all have overlapping functions, to support the consumer economy.

I like to think of it as doing my part to feed the economy but that's just me. ;) It's kind of link having multiple premium movie channels added to ones cable lineup - they all play the same movies yet most people who subscribe to such channels will order them anyway.

What is the point of something that is too small to use as a regular working computer and too large to be convenient as a portable phone? Oh, I get it--one is supposed to buy three different devices, even though they all have overlapping functions, to support the consumer economy.

Touché

"I get it--one is supposed to buy three different devices, even though they all have overlapping functions, to support the consumer economy."

Indeed, Steve Jobs is very clever.

Wouldn't you want your invention to have more babies so you could spread your DNA around? And of course, make more bucks.

• 2 months later...

Do I Really Need This?

Sorry folks. I love Apple - my favorite company and stock- but I just don't get this tool. My iPhone has become an intergal part of my life - I use it for work, entertainment,....pretty much for everything. I cannot envision myself using this iPad for anything other than what I already use my iPhone for. The iPad may be slightly more convenient to carry, but doesn't do a fraction of the things a laptop does. Sorry Apple, I love you but if one owns an iPhone or Macbook, the iPad is not needed.......I may have to check it out though.....just to be sure.:)

All those folks who pre-ordered the WiFi-only version should have theirs by now; I expect to see reviews on here at any moment.

Meanwhile, since I ordered the 3G version, I'll have to be patient...Apple won't be shipping those until "late April."

The only thing I see that is good for the ipad is those in the medical field and students. For those in the medical field they can carry one around and quickly bring up a patients files via wifi and not have to be tied down to a computer in case of an emergency and for students (there's a uni in PA that is giving them to full time students) being able to download their text books for hopefully a cheaper price. But other then that from what I can tell and have read the iphone and many of the other smart phones can do the same exact thing as the ipad. I wont get one for the simple fact it can't multi task unlike my Palm Pre. There are times when I need to have a couple cards open at once so I can re reference something when doing an email or text. The ipad and iphone can do neither. And I think that even if this device is used by medical folk that might be a pain. Although the concept is nice Apple dropped the ball on multi tasking.

I agree with David. I'll be waiting for the inevitable "new & improved" iPad second generation which will hopefully offer some of these missing features--especially multi-tasking and flash player.

Goodfella

GF it is my understanding that Apple has no intention of supporting flash but some other program but I am blanking on what that program is. Deej, Daddy or someone more techie might be able to chime in on this one. But it is also my understanding that Palm and one or two other smart phone makers are in the works to bring flash to their products very soon.

I'm abivalent about Flash support. I don't miss it at all on my iPhone and in Windows my preferred browser is Firefox using the FlashBlock plugin (among others).

Frankly, any website that relies primarily on Flash to deliver their message loses my interest immediately. If I enable the Flash content, the information I'm after will invariably be difficult to find because the site is focused on fancy presentation over clarity. And blocking Flash turns off almost all of the annoying banner advertising some sites use.

There are other ways to get the information I need. Just as I no longer visit sites that force a popup, I no longer visit sites that require Flash.

I'm no fan of Adobe either (the owner of Flash). They've FINALLY got to the point where it's possible to get their installer for the Acrobat Reader without a forced install of toolbars from Google, Yahoo, and twelve other vendors. BUT they still place a shortcut for the Acrobat Reader on your desktop without asking and without giving you the option.

Dear Adobe: I can honestly say I have NEVER opened the Acrobat Reader and then gone looking for a PDF file to read. I double click the file so it opens in the reader. Please take away the desktop shortcut I never use but have to delete every fracking time your updater runs. KThx.

Archived