Tiger, out of the woods?

glutes
This topic is 1142 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There are the unanswered questions with the TW/Escalade mishap. And we get it — sometimes discretion beats the heck out of the unvarnished truth, for obvious reasons. But from where we sit, as intrigued with Tiger as we've ever been, this is quite a riddle.

For starters, where was he going at 2:25 the morning after Thanksgiving? Is he a big fan of Black Friday sales? Is he part of a neighborhood watch or auxiliary fire department? Has he taken a paper route to help make ends meet?

He got up enough speed between his driveway and his neighbor's tree to do $8,000 damage to his vehicle, yet the air bags didn't deploy? Sounds like some kind of manufacturer's recall is in order.

According to reports, Elin Woods used a golf club to break windows in the SUV so she could get to her husband. Let's walk our way though this one. She heard the crash and ran outside with a golf club? Or are they lying all over the front yard at the Woods home?

More likely, that kind of emergency would require her to run back inside the house. Was a golf club the first thing she saw? Do Cadillac Escalades not come with a spare keyless remote?

There are other stories out there, but so far they aren't credible enough to warrant even a dismissive analysis. So we'll concentrate on what we know. Woods' injuries appear to be mild to moderate, and a full recovery is all but certain? Damage the brain, you damage the mind.

He's the objective of our attention as we watch and wonder how he'll deal with the first truly unplayable lie of his career.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know it the lie is unplayable, but a lie it seems to be. If there was a simple explanation, why would Woods choose to involve a lawyer, evade the police and choose to make a statement on Facebook. I don't find his wife breaking a window with a golf club all that unusual, any more that I would find it unusual for the wife of a pro bowler to use a bowling ball to break a car window. But I agree, there is more to this story than we have heard. More to the story than we will ever hear is my guess. IF I were a fiction writer of detective novels, my detective would put the story together like this. Tiger and wife argue. She gets angry and grabs a golf club. He goes to leave the house as he will stay in a hotel until she calms down. She follows him out of the house and when he gets into the Escalade and turns it on, she swings and smashes the window. He tries to speed away and loses control and runs over the fire hydrant and into the tree. She runs to help him as her anger turns to fear.

He's the objective of our attention as we watch and wonder how he'll deal with the first truly unplayable lie of his career.

Well, so far his answer seems to be "IT'S NONE OF YOUR DAMNED BUSINESS!" If that's how he plans to play it though, he might want to lay off denouncing rumors about this or that specific blond. ;) Just makes the press dig deeper.

Guest zipperzone

From what I gather, there was no alcohol involved. There was not a second party hurt.

That said, why or how really is his own business and if he doesn't want to disclose any more information, that's his right. He has admitted it was his own fault and the "Paris Hilton press" should back off and leave him alone. His 100 million (or whatever the sum is) should at least be able to buy him some privacy.

Woods has asked that this be a private matter. As a private person myself, I respect that. The celebrity rumor mill, though, is going to run its course.

It's not a private matter when the police and an ambulance ride are involved. And as a celebrity -- and role model -- he has a bigger obligation here. He, apparently, thinks he can brazen this one out by just stonewalling and shutting up but it's also very clear that he isn't remotely telling the truth. I think, at the very least, he's make a serious public relations mistake.

Tiger Woods is probably the greatest athlete in the world and up to now has had a squeaky clean reputation. He's a joy to watch. This is a blot on his record and he is only making it worse.

The cover-up is always worse than what originally happened and I'm amazed that people in the public eye never seem to learn that.

It's our business because of the very public nature of what happened. To claim "this is just a private matter and none of our business" is the very height of the "head in the sand" mentality that has invaded so much of today's thinking.

And as a celebrity -- and role model -- he has a bigger obligation here.

Much as I suspect that I'm going to enjoy gawking this Tiger Woods kerfuffle, I try not to confuse my curiosity with his obligation. :rolleyes: Watching him successfully pull off a stonewall would be as much fun as seeing a video of Mrs. Woods chasing the SUV down the driveway with the golf club. Well, almost. :D

http://daphnecaruanagalizia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/trailer_park_white_trash.jpg

Much as I suspect that I'm going to enjoy gawking this Tiger Woods kerfuffle, I try not to confuse my curiosity with his obligation. :rolleyes: Watching him successfully pull off a stonewall would be as much fun as seeing a video of Mrs. Woods chasing the SUV down the driveway with the golf club. Well, almost. :D

http://daphnecaruanagalizia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/trailer_park_white_trash.jpg

I suspect Mrs. Woods' with the golf club will be far more successful than Mr. Woods with the stonewall!

Gotta admit, this whole role model thing leaves me scratching my head. Does someone actually sign up to be a role model? Maybe fill out an application and pay a fee? And is there a committee somewhere that issues a certificate? Does it need to be renewed every year or two?

Role Model seems more like an honorary title that some folks lay on other folks whether they want it or not, along with a set of ill-defined obligations that are rarely agreed to by the honoree. If somebody ever tried to sign me up as a role model, I'd tell them thanks I'd love to, but I just washed my hair. Perhaps another time.

There are people I admire, of course. (many right here on the Message Center :)) But I sure don't think that gives me the right to put any unilateral expectations on them, and look down my nose when they don't live up to them. All Tiger Woods ever committed to do was play a good game of golf. If Mom wants shove a bowl of Wheaties down Junior's throat because Tiger's on the box, fine, but she's going to have to be responsible for explaining "feet of clay" to the little nipper when the time comes. As it usually does.

If somebody falls off a pedestal that he climbed up on, that's his responsibility. If I was the one that put him up there, that's my responsibility. Personally, I think it's easier if we all just keep our feet on the ground. Unless, of course, we really are a little extra special.

http://pixyland.org/peterpan/Imagezz/peter_flies1a_small.jpg

Edited by Lookin

Guest zipperzone

To claim "this is just a private matter and none of our business" is the very height of the "head in the sand" mentality that has invaded so much of today's thinking.

You're probably right - after all, nobody know more about "head in the sand mentality" than you do.

I don't feel he owes the media or the public a explanation. people expect to much out of celbs. Movie actor owe us one thing his or her best performance in a film and nothing else. A singer their best performance nothing else. tv star best performance nothing else. tiger woods his best golf game and nothing else.

Gotta admit, this whole role model thing leaves me scratching my head. Does someone actually sign up to be a role model? Maybe fill out an application and pay a fee? And is there a committee somewhere that issues a certificate? Does it need to be renewed every year or two?

Role Model seems more like an honorary title that some folks lay on other folks whether they want it or not, along with a set of ill-defined obligations that are rarely agreed to by the honoree. If somebody ever tried to sign me up as a role model, I'd tell them thanks I'd love to, but I just washed my hair. Perhaps another time.

There are people I admire, of course. (many right here on the Message Center :)) But I sure don't think that gives me the right to put any unilateral expectations on them, and look down my nose when they don't live up to them. All Tiger Woods ever committed to do was play a good game of golf. If Mom wants shove a bowl of Wheaties down Junior's throat because Tiger's on the box, fine, but she's going to have to be responsible for explaining "feet of clay" to the little nipper when the time comes. As it usually does.

If somebody falls off a pedestal that he climbed up on, that's his responsibility. If I was the one that put him up there, that's my responsibility. Personally, I think it's easier if we all just keep our feet on the ground. Unless, of course, we really are a little extra special.

http://pixyland.org/peterpan/Imagezz/peter_flies1a_small.jpg

Lookin-

You are something special. Can I put you upon a pedestal? In the USA we do expect to have role models and they invariably do have feet of clay. They didn't ask to be role models but we elevated them there anyway. One of the possible questions is, if one is paid a huge salary to be a sports figure, should that one live as a role model? Yes and no. There is nothing fair about being in the public eye and that includes those who willingly or unwillingly become "role" models. Personally I would just as soon remain incognito or at least only known to be a reasonable fellow within and among travelers who have gone down the same trail.

Best regards,

KMEM

Well, thankee, KMEM. You are quite special as well. And I couldn't agree more with your sentiment:

Personally I would just as soon remain incognito or at least only known to be a reasonable fellow within and among travelers who have gone down the same trail.

I think we all have admirable qualities that others like. But we all have some not-so-admirable qualities too. Otherwise, we wouldn't be human. For me, it's a lot nicer hanging around close to ground level with my fellow humans. I'm sure as a pilot, with other peoples' lives in your hands, you are often looked up to as a hero when you bring people safely home. But I'm also sure that you work extremely hard to make sure you do, and acknowledge that, every once in a while, you have a little luck on your side too. (I think of that "unofficial" side trip you made into Pakistani airspace. :eek:)

Money's not a huge issue for me. Sometimes people have lots of money and few friends. Or the other way around. It's the folks who think they are way above others, and the folks who put other humans way above themselves, that give me cause for concern. I think there are people who like to have heroes in their lives, or to be a hero for someone. There's nothing wrong with that. But when a human hero turns into a superhuman godlike caricature, it gives me the willies. Too many unhappy endings lie at the end of that story.

http://www.culturejamforlife.com/nobama2008/images/HitlerAddressesRallyAtDortmund1933.jpg

Aren't they asking to be role models when they accept millions of dollars in endorsement money? If he were just a golfer, without his face on ever thing from golf balls to underwear, then you could venture that he is not asking to be a role model. Once you allow yourself to be used to advertise your brand of sanitary napkins, breath strips or floor cleaner then you have indeed set yourself up as a role model.

Aren't they asking to be role models when they accept millions of dollars in endorsement money?

Not necessarily, in my opinion. "They" didn't decide the paycheck should be millions of dollars. "We" did. We're the ones who decide to pay an extra ten or twenty bucks for a Nike shirt with Woods' face on it. And we're the ones who decide that he's a "role model". If we didn't go along, he'd have wrecked an old Chevy instead of a new Caddy.

I have no control at all over whether or not he sees himself as a role model, but I sure as hell have control over whether or not I see him as one.

I'm with purplekow on this one. Once a public figure starts to sign contracts to push products and services that are sold to the public, he/she has become beholding to the public in terms of his/her comportment both in public and in private when that spills over into the public sphere. That's just the way it is and when they f**k up, they can't start to complain that they are private citizens. They gave that up when they signed those contracts and asked us (explicitedly or implied) that we should trust their judgment about things that impact our lives (whether they are flogging life insurance, banking services, airlines, cars, what have you.

So in Tiger's case, if there is more to the story that what he has allowed to be put out to date, we all want to know. And if he doesn't want to come clean, well then, he is free to give up his billion dollar endorsements and just go back to being a private citizen. How many have done that willingly?

From dictionary.com:

role model

–noun

a person whose behavior, example, or success is or can be emulated by others, esp. by younger people.

If the accident was so minor, why did Tiger cancel his upcoming golf tourney in Thousand Oaks this weekend?

I think the question boils down to is Tiger a pussy for defending his wife? He's a role model there.

Bet ya dollars to doughnuts no charges are filed...

Well, thankee, KMEM. You are quite special as well. And I couldn't agree more with your sentiment:

I think we all have admirable qualities that others like. But we all have some not-so-admirable qualities too. Otherwise, we wouldn't be human. For me, it's a lot nicer hanging around close to ground level with my fellow humans. I'm sure as a pilot, with other peoples' lives in your hands, you are often looked up to as a hero when you bring people safely home. But I'm also sure that you work extremely hard to make sure you do, and acknowledge that, every once in a while, you have a little luck on your side too. (I think of that "unofficial" side trip you made into Pakistani airspace. :eek:)

Money's not a huge issue for me. Sometimes people have lots of money and few friends. Or the other way around. It's the folks who think they are way above others, and the folks who put other humans way above themselves, that give me cause for concern. I think there are people who like to have heroes in their lives, or to be a hero for someone. There's nothing wrong with that. But when a human hero turns into a superhuman godlike caricature, it gives me the willies. Too many unhappy endings lie at the end of that story.

http://www.culturejamforlife.com/nobama2008/images/HitlerAddressesRallyAtDortmund1933.jpg

As far as luck is concerned, I always say, I would rather be lucky than smart. Yes, luck is always a welcome passenger on any flight and I have had my fair share of same.

However, when we arrive safely at our destination (and we always have, so far) I ALWAYS tell my passengers to be careful driving home because the SAFE part of their journey has already occurred. :)

Best regards,

KMEM

Three good reasons to tough it out:

> Who the hell wants to admit his wife clawed up his face, ran him out of his house at 2:30 in the morning and bashed on his SUV with a golf club, all over blond bimbettes strung over three continents?

> Mrs. Woods is a good candidate for a nine figure property settlement.

> Tiger is deeply attached to his kids.

Guest zipperzone
Aren't they asking to be role models when they accept millions of dollars in endorsement money? If he were just a golfer, without his face on ever thing from golf balls to underwear, then you could venture that he is not asking to be a role model. Once you allow yourself to be used to advertise your brand of sanitary napkins, breath strips or floor cleaner then you have indeed set yourself up as a role model.

Sorry but I don't see it that way. He's just being a smart business man. I'd bet that the advertisers approached him, not the other way around. They wave the big bucks in front of his face - should he say no? Would you?

Once you say yes, you are not only a "smart business man" you are the spokesperson and endorser of each of those products. As such, you are no long Joe Schmo professional golfer, you now are paid to be the face of that product. Selling your face comes with an public obligation. If you don't want the prying eyes, don't sell yourself to devils of publicity.

As for me, if it did say yes, I would expect people to be nosing around even so far as to have them discover and report that I was indeed "purplekow".

Guest TBinCHI

A spokesperson is not a role model

I agree that TW was a spokesperson for a lot of companies, including Nike, which I believe is his largest contract. However, being a spokesperson does not make you a role model. A role model is someone who is actively holding him or herself out as an example of a way to live. A priest should be a role model. Parents should be role models. But the idea that an athlete is a role model simply because they are good at a sport and make millions of dollars is complete bullshit. It is time for the athlete as a role model concept to be put to rest.

As to Tiger, if he lied to the public he should admit that he lied. He does not, however, "owe" an explanation to anybody. If people don't like what he's done, they can make the decision not to go to his golf tournaments and not to buy the products that he endorses. The companies can then determine whether to keep Tiger as their spokesperson, just as they did when Michael Phelps got caught smoking pot.

. However, being a spokesperson does not make you a role model.

Sorry, but the experts don't agree with you.To quote an expert, Phil Hall, president of London-based firm PHA, which handles communications and crisis management for sports figures and others, "If you take money for commercial deals which basically say "look, I'm a good guy, and I'm a decent clean-living citizen...the public buy into that..you forfeit the right to your private life because the public is buying a product, buying an image". He went on to say that Woods has a limited time to explain events, or risk staining both his own brand and those of his sponsors. He added "people accept that sometimes human beings err, but when they fan the flames by lying...people aren't so forgiving. It's never the mistake that brings the politician down, it's the cover-up afterwards".