Passport Woes

LurkerSpeaks
This topic is 6245 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am traveling from Phoenix to Montreal on May 2.. I lost my passport a few years ago and had to get a new one.. I applied Feb 21 here at our clerk of the court.. I was told that it would be plenty of time for passport to arrive. Now I am two weeks out..have not received it. Just got off phone (after holding 30 minutes) to be told they they would expedite my application, but it still may not arrive in time. My options are to go to a passport office in person and have them expedite it.. Only problem, nearest offices are in Houston, LA, or San Fran...

Of course, to change dates for hotel and airfare will cost bundles.. nto to mention having to change vaca time at work will be a nightmare...

"Of course, to change dates for hotel and airfare will cost bundles.. not to mention having to change vaca time at work will be a nightmare."

LS: Don't despair. Have you thought of going to Swinging Richards in Atlanta? Friends of mine who have been there recently claim it's equal to the fun times in Mtl.

Just a question but if you lost your passport a few years ago, why did you wait until now to replace it? They are telling people not to book any Canada/USA travel without having a current passport in your possession, especially since now it is taking months to get one with the huge demand created by the new Homeland security rules on transborder travel.

Flying to the "closest" US city to Montreal, may sound simple, but......if you fly to Albany, NY, rent a car and drive to Monteal, I guess it's possible, but costly. I'm not familiar with Burlington, VT, but that would probably a shorter distance to drive. If worse comes to worse, it could be a viable option to cancelling or re-arranging vacation time, etc.

You have my sympathy---I think you were misled by the US Passport agency or the county clerk where you applied---both were not prepared for the deluge of new passport applications. If you have any questions about driving into Montreal, e-mail me.

Guest zipperzone

>I'm not

>familiar with Burlington, VT, but that would probably a

>shorter distance to drive.

Burlington is a LOT closer - but I wonder how many flights per day fly into Burlington (International?) ?

If i was to fly into burlington, would I need my birth certificate to get into Canada? I submitted it with my passport application so I dont have access to it.. If it is possible to get into canada by land without a passport, are there busses or trains that run from burlinton to montreal?

Yes there are buses that go from Bulington to Montreal---I'll check the Greyhound and other lines. BUT, it might all be specious because you will need definite proof of your USA birth. Can you get a duplicate from the county where you were born???

Another question---have you asked about the "expedited" or "super-expedited" ways of getting your passport?? I saw a notice in my loca post office that seem to indicate that things can be done to get it fast(ter)..

Greyhound has the following buses from Burlington, VT to Montreal---all in the PM:

Leave @12:30 Arr@ 3:00

3:05 Arr@5:35

7:15 Arr@9:45

I don't know if there are other buses running--I suspect there might be something from Vermont--I'll keep looking.

Guest Fisher

Oui, just north of the park and Berri/UQAM

on Maisonneuve Est ... just a hop, skip,

and jump from Campus. }(

If Albany is easier to get to, there are more

buses scheduled - I believe every hour or so

(although the trip is longerthan from Burlington),

but some of the buses stop directly at the Albany

Airport.

Cheers,

Fisher :-)

>If i was to fly into burlington, would I need my birth

>certificate to get into Canada? I submitted it with my

>passport application so I dont have access to it..

Every county clerk's office in the US will supply you with a certified (legal) copy of a birth certificate (anyone's really, although this may have tightened considerably in recent years) from that county for a modest fee. Many are available for ordering online. Some will even send them FedEx (again, for a modest fee).

A Google search here may pay off handsomely for you.

Go find your county clerk's office online and see what their policies are.

RE: Passports -- some add'l information

My passport will expire in December. Since I was contemplating several trips between now and then, and since some countries require 6 months validity on the passport you use to enter, I decided to renew early.

I knew they were quoting 10 weeks or more for ordinary renewals. I chose expedited renewal because I'd be without my old passport in the interim and a trip in June was a possibility. I used regular mail service.

Guess what? I mailed my stuff out on April 6; the return receipt showed they got it on April 10; and today, April 19, their web site says I can expect my new passport on or before April 22. Not bad -- 16 days from start to finish. Well worth the the extra 60 bucks for expedited service.

I used my own digital camera, [http://www.epassportphoto.com/], and snapfish to produce my passport photos; total cost $2.00.

(I realize this isn't directly relevant to lurker's immediate problem, but I hope the information will be helpful to others. Good luck, Lurker; I know some of the things awaiting you in Montreal!)

RE: Passports -- Joy!

I had a similar pleasant experience using the post office.

My old passport had expired (last being used in 1988) I was sure that it was lost after three moves. I went to my post office the week after Thanksgiving. There were long lines of Latino families getting passports for the entire family in anticipation of Christmas trips south of the border. I picked up my forms to fill out at home and the clerk strongly urged me to look for my old passport because it would really speed up the process. I did locate my old passport, filled out the forms and brought them along with a copy of my birth certificate to my local post office the next day.

The clerk had suggested that the best time to apply was between 2 and 4 pm. In less than 15 minutes, I took my photos right at the post office and had completed the process. I was not in a hurry for the passport, so just paid the regular fee. In less three weeks in the midst of the holiday mail/rush, my new and old passports were delivered to my mailbox before Christmas! I was truly amazed after hearing about all the problems that travelers have when obtaining passports. Of course, if I had planned a holidays trip to Montreal, would my new passport have arrived on time? No!

Lurker - I wish you good luck - and I look forward to reading about your experiences in Montreal.

RE: Passports -- Joy!

Hope this doesnt jinx me.. but this morning I called the passport place back to check on status. After a short *insert sound of dripping sarcasm* wait of only 20 minutes, I was told that my application was being worked on today and should be sent out either today or tomorrow.. So....(fingers crossed) since they overnight priority.. i will have my passport by Monday..

THE MONTREAL GODS ARE WATCHING

My passport just arrived.. so the montreal gods (and we all know there are many of them) are looking out for me..

Now i can relax and get ready....Cant wait to return to the land of enchantment..Any more recent updates anyone??

RE: THE MONTREAL GODS ARE WATCHING

That's great news!

Some further tips:

1) Yes, always spring for expedited passport service if you have upcoming travel plans. (Amortize the extra cost over the 10 year lifespan of the passport.)

2) Read your passport. Make sure your personal data is correct. Now read the passport's fine print. Many people do not understand that a passport is a privilege -- not a right. It can be revoked. And it's not a "Get Out Of Jail Free Card." You are subject to the laws of the country you enter, and your embassy is not going to "rescue" you.

3) PHOTOCOPY your passport. Keep a photocopy at home, in a place accessible to a friend or family member (like a desk drawer), and travel with a photocopy that you keep separate from your passport (the same is true of your credit cards). I have first hand knowledge of how beautifully these photocopies come into play if your passport or credit cards are lost or stolen.

Bon Voyage!

-Northwoods

RE: THE MONTREAL GODS ARE WATCHING

i am not new at much anymore...This will be my fifth visit to montreal.. Last time was this past halloween. Just wondering if anyone has any more recent updates. Loved hearing from newatthis..He was a great companion when our schedules coincided last October. During my last visit, I met both newatthis and bigguypasadena.. If anyone else will be in Montreal between May 2 and May 7, please drop me a line and maybe we can meet up for a drink and compare notes..

Archived