B&B In Montreal Gay Village?

Guest Kevin 2
This topic is 7195 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Kevin 2

Can anyone recommend a B&B that is in the gay village or close by? I need advice quickly, I'll be there next weekend. Looking for a nice clean room with private bath preffered but also looking for a bargain. I would think next weekend would be slow in Montreal since this weekend is pride..any thoughts? Any suggestions would be appriciated.;-)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kevin 2

Thanks,

I e-mailed for info. Any other suggestions out there? Also will someone please explain what is meant by toursist getting the hotel taxes refunded to them means? I read this in 2 different places how does that work??

Tax Refund

When you leave the country, at the airport, there are counters with stacks of forms on them entitled something like "Tax Refunds for Tourists." Take one and fill it out with total cost you spent for hotel, amounts (over $50 each) you spent in stores (food doesn't count), include receipts and send it to address on front. (You can also take it to counter on main floor of airport while you are there and get cash refund.) You will be sent a check for the amount of the national tax you have paid. They also used to refund the provincial tax of Quebec, but they have stopped doing that. Easy. Nice.

There have been recent threads on this forum about nice B&Bs in or close to Village; check archives.

Guest Kevin 2

RE: Tax Refund

Thanks for the feedback you guys are great!

The recommended B&B is sold out for part of my stay. ;-)

Kevin.please search the board for comments and recomendations regarding accomodations.

That said-check out http://www.aubergell.com/en/index.shtml (very nice gay owned B&B in the village)

Be advised that the gay B&b's are often no bargain,and that the nicer ones are going to have rules about guest visiting your room.

Some of these queens think they are running a historic museum instead if an inn.

And houskeeping is often far below the standards of a tourist class hotel.

But-if it is what you want,a chaque son gout.

PS you might want to check out the Sauna Du Plateau for a nice clean bathhouse with ok clientele.

http://www.saunaduplateau.com/sdp_acc_ang.html

There is a bottom line figure of Can$200 plus, also the Quebec tax is no longer refunded just the Federal GST of around 8%.

Beware of the Tax Refunds Forms/Documents at Airports and other high flow-through areas these are private organizations who charge a substantial fee that can often cost more than your refund. Just fly home and apply via the Canadian Government site http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/nonresidents/visitors/tax-e.html

Incidently if you have a high cost item you are physically exporting e.g. a Laptop or other expensive item you need to have your departure details recorded. Like all government departments they dont make it easy, the desk you require is actually in the Montreal Dorval/Truedau arrivals area on the First Floor at the airport [get that] For a Foreigners Tax Refund they put it in the arrival area, but thats because that's where the Customs Guys are.

RE: Montreal B&B

Kevin, In addition to the one's already mentioned, check out these:

Auberge Cosy

1274, Ste-Catherine

514-525-2151

http://www.aubergecosy.com (website doesn't seem to work)

Hotel Lord Berri

http://www.lordberri.com

Hotel Suites Le Faubourg

http://www.hotelfaubourg.com

Le Chasseur B&B

http://www.lechasseur.com

Hope this helps.

Guest Kevin 2

What time does the metro stop running? Also has anyone ever stayed over in Longueuil area of Montreal how far is that from the village?

Metro stops running about 1 am -- the exact times are posted in each station, and vary by station, line, and day of the week. There are some night bus routes which run about every half hour when the metro and regular bus lines aren't operating.

The Berri-UQAM station has an information center with maps and schedules. You can get a handy metro map from most station ticket booths.

The site [http://www.stm.info/] is very useful. Among other items, there are good maps of the area surrounding each metro station, and a navigator (tous azimuts) which allows you to map out routes from one place to another.

Longueuil seems pretty far out to me, although I've never been there. One of the Stock dancers told me he lives there.

Longueuil is actually just across the river from the Gay Village and you can take the metro there so it is relatively convenient. After 1am you would need to take a taxi which would be around $10 or $12CDN. In rush hour the bridge to Longueuil is congested and travel times longer.

It would be the equivilent of going to NYC for the first time and staying in Brooklyn-you can see the city,but you are not in the city(and brooklyn actually has some fun things to do-but you are still not in the center of ot all)

There are some ok three star lodgings to be found there-but why would you want to unless the city is full up or you are attending a conference at one of these hotels.

Kevin,just do the priceline thing if you want decent accomodations at an affordable price.Visit Biddinfortravel.com and scroll down to the Quebec section and look what hotels are going for;3 stars/42-60 usd,4 stars/70-90 usd.

There are cheaper accomodations,but it is your first visit and you should have a decent place to rest your heads at night.

Guest Kevin 2

Thanks for all the help guys. I tried priceline and nothing was available during my stay. I'm very familar with how it works but couldn't win a bid at a good price.

I ended up booking 3 nights at the Ruta Bagage as one of you suggested and the other 2 nights at Chateau Cherrier because it looked like a cool place to stay. Thanks for all the help! ;-)

PS...DO I need a converter for shaver,etc..??

No-same plugs in Montreal.And don't buy more than $50-$100 in canadian currency till you get there.then go to an ATM and take out as much as you can in one transaction($500 cad was my limit lest time-it depends on the exchange-used to be $600 cad)to save on the transaction fees.And make sure your atm has a 4 digit PIN.

Enjoy your trip and please give us a trip report.

The US bank which issued my ATM card had a $500 (US) daily limit on my last trip (about the same time as bigguy's), which would have translated to around $700 (CAD), but the local machines would allow withdrawals of only $500 at a time.

If your current hotel reservations are cancellable up to the last minute, I would keep trying on priceline, using the rebidding strategies on [http://biddingfortravel.com] -- you still have a few days. I completely agree with bigguy about where you want to stay on a first trip.

Finally, be sure to read YFSC's excellent individual postings about each club in the FAQ's here, if you haven't already. When I walked into Campus for the first time, I felt as if I had already been there, thanks to his detailed description of the layout, and his explanation of the mores of each club and how one interacts with the dancers kept my nervousness to a minimum. You'll want to read the later posts for updates on a few details.

Guest Kevin 2

So guys are you saying its best to use candian money? I thought it was always best to buy all you could on your credit cards because big banks have the most favorable exchange rates?? Is American money widly accepted? Thanks again! ;-)

Check what your credit card policies are. My impression is that most of them are adding hefty percentage charges on top nowadays, and that it's better to use cash.

My usual credit card -- MasterCard -- adds 3% to the base exchange rate when used for foreign purchases. My bank charges me $1.50 to obtain CAD$500 from an ATM, which is only 0.4%. So I use cash as much as possible, even though I hate losing that airline mileage.

Since I don't like carrying around too much cash, I leave a good part of it in the hotel safe deposit and draw out what I need each morning.

RE: B&B In Montreal Gay Village?

KEVIN!!!!!!DO NOT USE US $$$$$ TO PAY FOR THINGS IN CANADA!!!!!!

Yes some merchants and most hotels(and even the stripper bars-and strippers!)will take your cash,but they will give you a lousy e2xchange rate for it.Do the ATM when you are in Montreal-take out a big withdrawal instead of lots of little ones.

And as is mentioned(thank you newatthis)check your CCs policiie regarding foreign transactions-some are OK(I think citibank diners and amex are ok)other banks charge you a bogus conversion fee(wow 3%-that is bad)My ATM acts a regular charge card(no pin needed unless I'm getting cash)and I was not charged a conversion fee(I love Washington Mutual!)

But-hey you are going to have a great time-and make sure you give us all a trip report when you get back!

Guest Aquario

RE: B&B In Montreal Gay Village?

Hi Kevin, this is Aquario from Montreal. I agree with all that was said (for example, never pay in American dollars). These guys know their business! If you had chosen the Alexandre Logan B&B, you would have been at two houses from where I live!

Have a nice trip in Montreal and you don't need a converter for your shaver!

Aquario

Guest Kevin 2

Report on Montreal

Just wanted to give a short and sweet report now that I'm back home from my 1st trip to Montreal. :-)

*I hit all 3 strip clubs Taboo,Campus and Stock. My fav was Stock, more my type of guys and a few of them are very friendly ;-)

*I would recommend anyone to stay at the Ruta Bagage B&B its reasonably priced with full breakfast if you can get up by 10:30! The innkeeper ASHE speaks great English and was helpful with information when asked. Also a GREAT location just one short block to the middle of the village at St. Catherine St.

* The Metro was simple to navigate for those of us who don't live in a huge city with one. I highly recommend buying a vistor pass. It will save you money if you plan on going anywhere off St. Catherine street..LOL

* If you're at all into the museums and history buy the 30 museum pass which includes 3 days of unlimited metro use, a GREAT bargain!

* As one of you guys recommended the Sauna Oasis was busy and clean with LOADS of fun happening!

}(

* Don't overlook visiting Old Montreal. I found that area of the city to be very intresting as would others. Also best place to buy items from the local street vendors.

*As adviced use only CAD money because most businesses charge a really bad conversion rate if you try to pay in US$. They post the rate in the door most of the time.

Thanks again to all those who helped with advice before the trip! :*

Archived