Login

Charlie
This topic is 8138 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When I went to post in a thread for the first time today, the login box came up first. It's been so long since I was asked for this that I had forgot my number (I found it eventually). What gives?

I'm also curious as to why a post I made in the bitching section appears in purple title although all others are blue, and it indicates that there are no views, which is rather unusual.

You must be logged in to post. You can read messages to your heart's content without being logged in, but to post you must be logged in. In theory, every time you come to the message center you should be required to login again UNLESS all you're doing is reading.

The difference between blue/purple titles is read/unread hyperlinks. The setting can be overridden in your broswer preferences but all it means is that you've "been there". (And since you wrote it, you've most certainly been there. ;) )

Guest Esc_Tracker

Actually Deej, I was just about to ask about this loging in business myself. I have had to do this every day for about a week now even though I have indicated in my preferences that I wish to be logged in automatically. I have tried everything I can think of including changing my password. Does this have any thing to do with "the coup"?

Me too. I used to just click on the message center and I was logged in. Now I have to manually log in each time, although about twice when I clicked on log in rather than asking for a password it just logged me in.

Guest bottomboykk

The change was made by HooBoy for everyone a good while ago, about 2 months or so I think. For some reason, some people still didn't have to log in each time (I initially didn't have to log in for about a month), but it's supposed to be that you have to log in regardless of what you put in your preferences.

>Well that's no fun! (grumble, grumble, mutter, mutter) :-(

It's no fun but it was an administrative necessity.

As you are probably aware, over the last few months several posters have been demoted from unmoderated to moderated status. (And some you may not have heard of are on that list as well. They don't all go kicking and screaming.)

If the "auto-login" had not been turned off, everyone would have to be forcibly logged off each time a change was made. It's a huge hassle and a lot of effort.

Logging into to this site has become a bit of an adventure lately. I usually log in whenever I visit the site. Lately, I find myself having to log in several times (as in three or more) just to get recognized by the system. Even if I'm already logged in, I have to log in again (again several times) in order to respond to a post. I also have to log in again (again, even if I'm already logged in)if I want to check to see if I have any e-mail or if I want to see who's on line. I deleted the m4m cookie in the hopes that that would help. Unfortunately, the problem still persists. :-(

>Make sure you have cookies ENABLED.

>

I always enable cookies before I come to the site. I tried to get around the problem by deleting the m4m cookie. Unfortunately, it didn't help. The good news is that I didn't have a problem responding to Honcho's post.

I'll also look into the utility. It sound like it might just be what the doctor ordered. Thanks! :-)

Well, I asked the question thinking that whatever mechanism that the site uses to make us re-log-on might might happen if we quit (i.e. the problem might get worse if you did quit). I was aware that it used to use Cookies, so maybe HooBoy just made the expire time on the cookies short.

Archived