Montreal--Bourbon complex is active again

LurkerSpeaks
This topic is 1721 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 11 years later...
Just returned from montreal.. wanted to let others know that the hustler scene has returned to the bourbon complex again.There were several to many boys there every night i was in town. The two i met were willing to give bj's for 30 and 40$ respectively, but neither was able to get an erection himself.

I've been to Montreal seven times but have never heard of the "bourbon complex", what and where is it?

... but it is an interesting opening into a discussion of the state of Ste. Catherine - it used to be my go to area for fun on my many trips to Montreal, but it did start to look a bit rough around the edges my last few journeys there (not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that, I may add!)

you're a few years too late...the Bourbon complex was a French Quarter style restaurant / bar / club complex on Ste. Catherine that has been out of business for a few years now -

Thanks. A favorite Italian restaurant in the Village on Ste. Catharine also was gone on my visit this past August.

I have been wondering about "the state of Ste. Catherine" (as nynakedtop called it) too. All those vacant buildings! That seems like prime real estate. Why is it not being redeveloped? It certainly seems like there is plenty of construction going on in the city. Does anyone know if there are specific issues in Montreal that make it hard to get permits, or hard to get redevelopment loans? Or anything about the neighborhood? It strikes me every time I'm there.

• 2 years later...

Any updates on the Ste. Catherine hustler scene? I was able to hook-up with a lovely twink hustler in May 2018 near the old Club Adonis.

Sometimes there are some hustlers near the Hotel Governeur near Place Emilie-Gamelin Park, but that park is literally fenced-in and closed a large portion of the year.

It's not like it used to be with several drug-addicted twinks hanging around the now defunk Bourbon Complex.

Edited by twinkboylover28

I have been wondering about "the state of Ste. Catherine". All those vacant buildings! That seems like prime real estate. Why is it not being redeveloped? It certainly seems like there is plenty of construction going on in the city. Does anyone know if there are specific issues in Montreal that make it hard to get permits, or hard to get redevelopment loans? Or anything about the neighborhood? It strikes me every time I'm there.]

I am not an expert, but developers generally want to go big or go home. The latest development in my central downtown neighbourhood is 36 stories. Residential projects in the Village area tend to be smaller scale. There are likely area-specific zone regulations that impact the lot size to bldg square footage ratio. Other than Hotel Gouverneurs, you don't see much vertical expanse on the main drag.

Recently, a new city bylaw dictates that all new developments must contain a proportion of "affordable social housing". This will be an added driver to the trend of large-scale projects in order to reach previous profit margins. Purchasers of new non-earmarked units will likely see an associated rise in real estate prices of a few percentage points.

Sorry, I cannot seem to separate the quote from my text.

Do you tap Reply then Quote, or Quote then Reply. I need a mnenomic, like Q before R, or counterintuitive R before Q. I know I just did it successfully but someone distracted me, knocked on my door, and I forgot how I did it.

Edited by SirBIllybob

Any updates!

The gay village is a mere ghost of what it was several years back.

The great restaurants and shops are closed (out of business).

The people walking up and down Ste Catherines have been converted from normal to druggies.

The street hustlers are almost non-existent anymore (unless you want to settle for a druggie).

On lucky afternoons and nights, the Campus has some acceptable hustlers, but not many.

On Wednesday, you will find "ladies night" at Campus - otherwise, Campus is hit or miss, mostly miss.

Why bother to go there for what little that remains unless you want to get bummed out.

One nice thing, the city is pretty and there are some cultural things to see.

How is that for an "update" - ?

Edited by coriolis888

The gay village is a mere ghost of what it was several years back.

The great restaurants and shops are closed (out of business).

The people walking up and down Ste Catherines have been converted from normal to druggies.

The street hustlers are almost non-existent anymore (unless you want to settle for a druggie).

On lucky afternoons and nights, the Campus has some acceptable hustlers, but not many.

On Wednesday, you will find "ladies night" at Campus - otherwise, Campus is hit or miss, mostly miss.

Why bother to go there for what little that remains unless you want to get bummed out.

One nice thing, the city is pretty and there are some cultural things to see.

How is that for an "update" - ?

Thank you.

My thoughts EXACTLY!!!

Hyperbole/exaggeration & confirmation bias operating here?

Of course there is always change, and if a visitor's initial great experiences are not repeated, or particular preferred valued aspects diminish, the perception is often one of deterioration.

I have never been in love with the Village, but as a former visitor who established residency downtown here some 17 years ago, my assessment is that things have not changed much qualitatively overall.

Hyperbole/exaggeration & confirmation bias operating here?

Of course, there is always change, and if a visitor's initial great experiences are not repeated, or particular preferred valued aspects diminish, the perception is often one of deterioration.

I have never been in love with the Village, but as a former visitor who established residency downtown here some 17 years ago, my assessment is that things have not changed much qualitatively overall.

"Hyperbole/exaggeration & confirmation bias operating here?"

Not at all!

You wrote - - -" - - - as a former visitor who established residency downtown here some 17 years ago, my assessment is that things have not changed much qualitatively overall.- - -

My response to your comment is that if I had made an investment in Montreal real estate and established residency as you say you did, and if I saw my investment and change of residency go downhill, I might be inclined to be in denial, as you seem to be.

Don't you think it odd that the Montreal posts section of this forum used to be filled with posters telling how much they enjoyed Montreal?

Now, there is rarely a post except to complain about how Montreal has deteriorated in the gay village - Ste. Catherine street specifically.

[MEDIA=reddit]montreal/comments/63nedc[/MEDIA]

Edited by coriolis888

Haha. That link is awesome. I hope people read it. It reminds me of the links I submitted last year regarding the Village and LE Governeur hotel. People said they were afraid to walk the street.

The Village has obviously sustained a breathtaking collapse since 2005 of significant decline. It had become a virtual ghost town compared to it's former self. Often times there are more customers than dancers at the clubs.

Everything appears to be vacant and for rent. It's super depressing walking Ste Catherine knowing what it used to be. Today it's a carcass of it's former self. It's like hitting the lottery if you're fortunate enough to find what was so easily attainable a decade ago. Montreal used to be a world reknowned destination for gay strip clubs.

Unfortunately I see more opportunity on Grindr than spending hundreds of dollars on airfare and hotel and a lot my time for the slim pickings the Village offers. God forbid what the next decade has in store for the seemingly abandoned former gay playground.

Confirmation bias??? With all due respect, to say that the quality of Le Village hasn't changed much in the last 17 years is laughable.

Edited by twinkboylover28

LOL. I can live anywhere I please, don't require gainful employment, and I am a demanding "foodie".

The only denial I am prone to is the disbelief that my property has inflated in value 200%.

I suppose if the city's mandate is viewed by sex tourists as designed and required to meet their needs, there is bound to be narcissistic rage. I mean, dropping a lot of cash, outside of a great exchange rate, and not finding exactly what you want. Yikes! Sounds more like sour grapes, not valiantly sparing the average reader the abject disappointment of coming here.

Montreal rates high globally for destinations because it is renowned for letting your freak flag fly. That is obviously too tall an order for a handful of ultra-tough-crowd hecklers whose travel column skills seem questionable.

It seems that The Village is expected by some to be a world class Red Light district with the same Disneyfied ambience as a smaller scale Times Square. Eroticized urban zones in general tend to have a shelf life. Adaptation is called for.

Stay home, use Grindr.

But even local, you cannot expect a vast high quality dancer inventory to prevail in an age where digital app obsession replaces old-fashioned going out on the town.

Complain to Airbnb Explore about the death of the streethustler scene and your being deprived of the chance to be imprisoned following summary conviction, and to our PM about the toughening of prostitution law in 2014.

Let's make it a no-contest amicable divorce. You can even keep your point of view.

Perhaps living here I experience it along a few more dimensions. And when travelling I broaden the agenda, though I think I can roll with a less than ideal actualization of my fantasies.

LOL ... amusing that a handful of evolved (term used loosely) over time MTL Village 'haters' will try to go to the mat convincing someone they should not like what they like.

Please tell me that you don't really believe what you just wrote.

Those of us who formerly enjoyed Montreal before its major decline, certainly are not "MTL Village haters" as you just erroneously claimed in your post above.

Quite simply, we do not want to waste our time and money to visit Montreal, a formerly fun place that has materially declined in many ways, street drugs being the worst factor.

Hate is a strong word. Where in the world did you get that idea? Hate! My goodness.

Rather than "hate" Montreal (as you falsely claimed without any logical basis), we moved on to other cities and places that offer enjoyment that we no longer find in Montreal village.

Furthermore, drugs have taken over much of the village and I wonder why you did not acknowledge that fact.

We who truthfully responded about the decline of Montreal have no reason to "convince someone" (you) that you should not like what you like. By all means, continue to like Montreal.

I don't know you and do not care if you want to ignore the changes in Montreal.

By the way, who said you should not like Montreal?

One more thing to consider - don't you find it strange that this forum used to have countless posts telling how great Montreal was but over the past several years, not one post has anything good to say about Montreal?

Being in denial must not be fun.