Gas Prices in Your area, Let's hear about it.

Talvin DeMachio
This topic is 962 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does an employee still have to pump it for you in New Jersey?

Gman

Yes and it’s so weird when I go out of state. I went to Massachusetts last year pulled into one of the rest stop gas stations and sat in my car for a few minutes. I was getting annoyed thinking WTF where is the attendant and then realized i had to pump my own gas...

Yes and it’s so weird when I go out of state. I went to Massachusetts last year pulled into one of the rest stop gas stations and sat in my car for a few minutes. I was getting annoyed thinking WTF where is the attendant and then realized i had to pump my own gas...

Geeze I thought filling station attendants ended when Gomer left Mayberry to join the service.

Geeze I thought filling station attendants ended when Gomer left Mayberry to join the service.

I was returning a rental car to the airport in Papeete, French Polynesia last year. Pulled into a Shell station to top the tank off, and started figuring which card to use. A local starts running toward me...I thought “panhandler?” or any sort of danger to me? . Was the full service gas station attendant ?

Yes when I moved to jersey I thought it was very odd but now I appreciate the law. I don’t need to get out of my car when it’s below zero

I used to have the opposite experience when I lived in NYC. I’d drive out to visit friends in New Jersey. On the way back late at night I knew I should fill up in New Jersey. I’d pull up to one of the stations lining the entrance to one of the tunnels and hop out of my car forgetting that it was forbidden. I’ve also gotten exasperated that there was only one or two attendants for a long string of gas hungry cars and hoped out the car to pump my own. I never got very far. Lol

was visiting a friend in Jersey who drove us around a lot.....I said, "hey, I owe you some gas, stop and let me buy"......as soon as we stopped, I dutifully hopped out and headed to the pump, credit card at the ready.......he said, "what are you doing?"......ugh, I forgot......jeez!.......

giphy.gif

NJ and OR are the only states without self-service.

The first time I drove into Oregon in 2013 or 2014 I didn't know attendants had to pump the gas. I was on fumes and stopped at closed convenience store expecting the pumps to still be on as they are in Texas (I've since come across at least one chain of convenience stores/gas stations in Texas that doesn't leave their pumps on once they've closed, but I hadn't at that time). I couldn't figure out why the pumps weren't working. I then found an open store, and the guy explained it. Oregon passed a law a few years ago that in smaller counties, you can pump your own. But you definitely can't do it around Portland.

Gman

Does an employee still have to pump it for you in New Jersey?

Gman

The one time I was in a car in New Jersey-I think it was an Uber-we stopped for gas, and I found out that you couldn't self-pump in NJ. But I was surprised that the guy didn't clean the windows or check the oil as the attendants used to do.

How much do you usually tip the attendants?

Gman

The one time I was in a car in New Jersey-I think it was an Uber-we stopped for gas, and I found out that you couldn't self-pump in NJ. But I was surprised that the guy didn't clean the windows or check the oil as the attendants used to do.

How much do you usually tip the attendants?

Gman

I usually tip a couple/few bucks. I don’t think most people tip since the attendants seem surprised when I do...

I get gas frequently in Oregon, and I have never considered tipping the attendant. I grew up in the era when you were not supposed to pump your own gas, so every fill-up was done by an attendant, and I never knew of anyone tipping the attendant in those days, so why do it now, especially since they usually expect you to do all the other things that they used to do, like clean your windows.

My car gets good mileage, and I don’t drive much, even less since the stay at home began. I filled up in the beginning of the month before all this started, and paid close to $3.00/gallon. Still have 3/4 tank left.

In Illinois, full service is almost unheard of. However, there is a gas station in the northwest suburbs that has a full service pump lane. It costs a dollar a gallon more, but they come out and do everything. Pump the gas, check oil, tire pressure, and top off if needed, clean the glass, add washer fluid, etc. If you have disability plates, they direct you to the self serve pump so you’re only charged the self service price, but they still do all the full service stuff.

Edited by bashful