Gas Prices in Your area, Let's hear about it.

Talvin DeMachio
This topic is 956 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest zipperzone

>>It just takes a little planning and it can be done for

>most.

>

>I'll agree that it can be done, but not that it can be done

>for most. ;-)

Yes, it can be done, IF you just want to go from point A to point B and back again. But the scenario I described is what realistically our life in the 21st century is like.

I am NOT - repeat NOT - going to give up the mobility that allows me to lead a full life, just so as I can save a few $$$ on gas and help the greening of our planet. Call me selfish - call me ab asshole - but that's the way I feel and I am at least being honest about it.

So, as I cruise down the highways and biways of life, I'll show you every courtesy and promise never to interfere with you riding your bicycle with your drycleaning flapping over your arm as you hope you can get back home before that shower that has been threatening for an hour now, actually opens the heavens.

Public transportation and scooters/bicycles equate (for me) to a much less enjoyable lifestyle and I'll be damned if I'll buy into it. For those that do - good on you. Everyone should do what they are comfortable with.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that if there were enough interest or who ever runs the bus system introduced good service some might take it. Course socal is such a fickle and upitty crowd (why I haven't been down in over a year) it might take a work of G-d to get them to use their cars less or $20 a gallon which is what I would charge for gas. On the shuttle service at airports yes sometimes they are hard to find or the schedules are not correct that are posted on the airports website. Found the latter to be true for IND. Luckily I listened to the little voice in my head and double checked when I was out there a couple months back and only had a 15 minute wait.

Hugs,

Greg

seaboy4hire@yahoo.com

http://seaboy4hire.tripod.com http://www.daddysreviews.com/newest.php?who=greg_seattle

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/6707/lebec084a9ad147f620acd5ps8.jpg

>>>It just takes a little planning and it can be done for

>>most.

>>

>>I'll agree that it can be done, but not that it can be done

>>for most. ;-)

>

>Yes, it can be done, IF you just want to go from point A to

>point B and back again. But the scenario I described is what

>realistically our life in the 21st century is like.

>

>I am NOT - repeat NOT - going to give up the mobility that

>allows me to lead a full life, just so as I can save a few $$$

>on gas and help the greening of our planet. Call me selfish -

>call me ab asshole - but that's the way I feel and I am at

>least being honest about it.

>

>So, as I cruise down the highways and biways of life, I'll

>show you every courtesy and promise never to interfere with

>you riding your bicycle with your drycleaning flapping over

>your arm as you hope you can get back home before that shower

>that has been threatening for an hour now, actually opens the

>heavens.

>

>Public transportation and scooters/bicycles equate (for me) to

>a much less enjoyable lifestyle and I'll be damned if I'll buy

>into it. For those that do - good on you. Everyone should do

>what they are comfortable with.

I guess I forget how small Seattle is sometimes. Because here if you live in Seattle proper a lot is within walking distance. Seven grocery stores, a few cleaners, too many coffee shops to count (only one good one, Vivace)and a lot of eating places are all at my door step and downtown and theaters a quick 25 minute or less walk. So I do see your point that you are making. But as I said in a previous post a while back in a lot of major cities there is Flex Car and Zip Car and they often over lap each other so there are options if someone has multiple errands to run in a day. It's just some chose not to do whats right. And those that chose not to do whats right that bitch about gas prices have no right. Although iirc you folk in Canada are used to paying a bit more for your gas then us here in the states and have adjusted accordingly it might seem.

Hugs,

Greg

seaboy4hire@yahoo.com

http://seaboy4hire.tripod.com http://www.daddysreviews.com/newest.php?who=greg_seattle

>Yes, it can be done, IF you just want to go from point A to

>point B and back again. But the scenario I described is what

>realistically our life in the 21st century is like.

I know a housewife in Houston who starts her day working on clients' websites at the local coffee shop, swings by the grocery and dry cleaner on her way home after various PTA/Scout/whatever meetings, walks in the door with a laptop bag over her shoulder and grocery bags in one hand and dry cleaning in the other. Her husband is always amazed when she gets home.

All of this while scooting around town on her Vespa.

(She is still an attorney as well and manages to dispatch those responsibilities in an unflappable manner in her daily activities.)

Is she more of a man than you are or just better at living life in a world she intends to leave to her kids? }(

>>Yes, it can be done, IF you just want to go from point A to

>>point B and back again. But the scenario I described is what

>>realistically our life in the 21st century is like.

>

>I know a housewife in Houston who starts her day working on

>clients' websites at the local coffee shop, swings by the

>grocery and dry cleaner on her way home after various

>PTA/Scout/whatever meetings, walks in the door with a laptop

>bag over her shoulder and grocery bags in one hand and dry

>cleaning in the other. Her husband is always amazed when she

>gets home.

>

>All of this while scooting around town on her Vespa.

>

Scoots are hot!

Hugs,

Greg

seaboy4hire@yahoo.com

>Might I say I could care less about the price of gas when I

>come to this post, the only reason I do so, is the chance to

>review Talvin's pictures again.

>As for gas prices, they will go up.

>As for me, I will go up every time I view Talvin.

>

well said.

In other news, gas prices for Regular hit 3.09 in Tampa.

again.

>

>I think that if there were enough interest or who ever runs

>the bus system introduced good service some might take it.

>Course socal is such a fickle and upitty crowd (why I haven't

>been down in over a year) it might take a work of G-d to get

>them to use their cars less or $20 a gallon which is what I

>would charge for gas.

In areas where transit exists in LA, it is quite heavily used. It is just being built up VERY slowly.

Guest zipperzone

>All of this while scooting around town on her Vespa.

>

>(She is still an attorney as well and manages to dispatch

>those responsibilities in an unflappable manner in her daily

>activities.)

>

>Is she more of a man than you are or just better at living

>life in a world she intends to leave to her kids? }(

Cheep shot Deej - you know perfectly well the point I was (am) trying to make. One can always find an example of a "unique" individual whose approach to life defies logic. As to whether she is "more of a man" than I.... please tell me what the fuck driving her Vespa around Houston as to be with being a man? And as for leaving the world to her kids - that's utter BS. Her kids will do just fine thank you, whether mom rides a scooter or a Hummer. Ain't gona make 1 whit of differance.

I hope she is real careful with the dry cleaning - hate to see her get those long plastic bags all caught up in the wheels of that great little Vespa. And I can just see the scene when she, acting in her capacity as an attorney, has to take a client out for lunch. What a way to inspire confidence - just hop on behind me sir, and hold on tight.

Meanwhile - I hope you all enjoy limping along at whatever ecofriendly route you choose to take. I promise not to splash any mud on you as I glide past you in my heated comfy gas guzzling slendor.

And may it never rain, snow or get icy as you hustle about your business, preserving the planet for the children I will never have.

G E T R E A L G U Y S

Regardless if one has children or not a lot of us have nieces, nephews and G-d children. What is so wrong with trying to do whats right so that when they grow up they will have a livable planet? Is it wrong not be selfish and think of others then ones self? If it is then I am glad to be part of that group. It is becoming obvious that you don't care what is left of the planet once you leave, which is too bad.

Hugs,

Greg

seaboy4hire@yahoo.com

Guest zipperzone

>It is becoming obvious that you don't care what is left

>of the planet once you leave, which is too bad.

Greg: It's not that I don't care - it's that I don't realy buy into this whole global warming thing. There is just as much scientific evidence against it as for it, to make me doubt the Al Gores of the world. And even if it does prove to be the case, which none of us will ever live long enough to know, I don't believe what little we do as individuals will matter one whit. We are smallfry polluters in comparison to big business & governments. So it seems to me to be a bit like banging your head against a brick wall.

---- Someone wrote:

> it's that I don't realy buy into this whole global warming thing.

With or without global warming and with or without man contributing to the warming, there are still many compelling reasons why individuals might choose to use a car less. Health, and fitness (it's how I stay in shape), is something many on this board can appreciate.

There are many reasons why we, our government and planners should resist policies that favor car use. Car oriented development is often at the expense of pedestrian, bicycle friendliness, a healthful environment and good foreign policy.

If someone wants to drive a car instead of walk, bicycle, bus, or train then they should have that choice. But we should know what the costs are and those of us who choose to drive should be willing to shoulder most of the related costs.

In the U.S. we go to great lengths to keep driving accessible and seemingly affordable to a great number of people. Adjusted for inflation gas prices are not terribly high. Hasn't increased like eggs or the price of lumber. And inspite of little increase in MPG since 92 our cars get double the MPG that they did in the 50s and 60s. In fact the fact that U.S. average MPG has not kept up with the rest of the world over the last 15 years tells me that gas is still very affordable.

The number one cause of death to our youth is car crashes, more than guns, drugs or gangs. And even more people are believed killed by car pollution than car crashes. Car exhaust contains known carcinogens.

The amount of oil that ends up in waterways from parking lot runnoff and oil changing is like several Exxon Valdez oil spills every year. Refining oil into gasoline consumes large amounts of water and causes large amounts of air, land and water pollution.

Ground level ozone is a very problematic pollutant not just for people but there is evidence that it reduces crop yields. Now there is mounting evidence that the enormous amounts of very fine particulates shed from brake pads causes health problems including possibly contributing to heart trouble.

It's not hard to see that many places have become unpleasant or dangerous to walk because we have widened roads, neglected sidewalks, and spread development out so has to allow for greater amounts of parking.

In 1970 ninety-something percent of school kids either walked or bicycled to school. Now it is somewhere around 2 or three percent. While there have been other factors such as bussing etc. there is no doubt that as we drive more and more it becomes less safe to walk, and schools are built further away to allow parking and attempt to reduce automobile congestion. As we reduce our residential and commercial densities we push our agriculture out and find more and more food shipped from afar.

Obviously our huge gas use complicates U.S. foreign policy.

Nearly everybody could reduce their driving. And many of them would be healthier for it. But it must be their choice. The individual can best determine the best solutions himself but only if we know and pay the costs of our choices.

Some accountants have attempted to quantify the external costs of our car use. And the smallest estimates are in the hundreds of billions of dollars each year. That is not including environmental damage for which we will have to eventually pay. Adding a fee to the cost of gas is one way for an indivual driver to understand and pay the costs associated with his car use. In the 80's a fairly conservative estimate indicated that motorists would have to pay about $3 a gallon tax to pay their way. Estimates including real environmental costs are often several times greater. There was an article in Scientific American that estimated that even BEFORE the Gulf War military costs paid from tax dollars amounted to $50 a barrel. I'll have to look for the name of the study in NY that estimated that government provides an effective subsidy of about $19 per gallon of gas.

Well thats enough rambling from me. But if anyone wants some encouragement to incorporate walking, running, bicycling, or transit into their life just contact me. Really I don't know how so many people find time to drive (I HOPE your not reading, sleeping or exercising while driving) AND go to the gym.

Raul

Guest CURIOUS35

:+ :+ :+ :+ :+ :+

Chicago and Suburbs gas price ranges from $3.13 to $3.57 for a gallon of regular. I dont even look at the prices of super!

:7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7

• 3 months later...
Guest zipperzone

>I think I would have to sit on top of it cause there's no way

>in hell I'd get into it.Even if they greased me up and tried

>to push me through the door.

I used to feel the same way. They have been available in Canada for 2 or 3 years now and it is strange what one can get used to seeing.

I still would never buy one - one reason being that equiped the way you would want it, the cost is around 25 grand - way too much for what you're getting.

But, a friend of mine got one and when he took me for a drive I was surprised to find that they are much more roomy inside than expected and they have a fair amount of get up and go. And although they look as if they would offer little protection in an accident, their crash test results were better than many bigger cars.

Ideal for a housewife who just wants a way of getting the hamburger home from the supermarket.

But every time I see on the streets I always think they look like a sewing machine.

>>I think I would have to sit on top of it cause there's no

>way

>>in hell I'd get into it.Even if they greased me up and

>tried

>>to push me through the door.

>

>I used to feel the same way. They have been available in

>Canada for 2 or 3 years now and it is strange what one can get

>used to seeing.

>

>I still would never buy one - one reason being that equiped

>the way you would want it, the cost is around 25 grand - way

>too much for what you're getting.

>

>But, a friend of mine got one and when he took me for a drive

>I was surprised to find that they are much more roomy inside

>than expected and they have a fair amount of get up and go.

>And although they look as if they would offer little

>protection in an accident, their crash test results were

>better than many bigger cars.

>

>Ideal for a housewife who just wants a way of getting the

>hamburger home from the supermarket.

>

>But every time I see on the streets I always think they look

>like a sewing machine.

Zip that 25k was probably the Canadian price you mentioned. The fully loaded one would be less then that here in the US.

Hugs,

Greg

seaboy4hire@yahoo.com

Chicago Jan 30th, Feb 1, 2, and 4th

Guest zipperzone

>Zip that 25k was probably the Canadian price you mentioned.

>The fully loaded one would be less then that here in the US.

>

>Hugs,

>Greg

Greg: Don't get me started on that subject!

With our dollars just about at par, there is no excuse for the US pricing to be lower. It's a gigantic rip-off.

Guest zipperzone

>I lease an Acura TL and the manufacturer says that premium

>unleaded gas must be used.But I hear that many people ignore

>that and use regular unleaded.Does anyone here use regular

>when premium is specified for their car?

Yes, all the time. And I have asked the service manager of the dealer where I bought my car and he says regular is perfectly OK to use. Sounds like the car makers are in bed with the oil companies.