What bands do you like?

BuckyXTC
This topic is 8221 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Being a great lover of music (I almost always have music playing wherever I happen to be, if it's possible. My tenfavorite bands, past and present, not in order of preference are:

1. Smashing Pumpkins

2. Staind

3. NoFX

4. Emerson Lake & Palmer

5. The Who

6. New Found Glory

7. Sum41

8 The Beatles

9 Steppenwolf

10. Collective Soul

How about you? Who do you like?

BuckyXTC

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bands, exactly, but my list would start with:

* Chicago Symphony Orchestra

* Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra

* New York Philharmonic

* Vienna Philharmonic

etc.

(OK, maybe wire bands. :-))

I'm embarrassed to admit that most popular music these days escapes my notice, and has for years. It doesn't attract me and I've learned over the years to just ignore it. I'm constantly amazed when some "big star" is introduced on Leno's show and I have no clue who they are. (And usually hit the mute button for the duration because I don't find it appealing.)

I could blame it on age, but that's not it. I was this way in high school. When kids my age were groovin' to the Jackson 5, I was listening to Rossini overtures.

Probably not what you expected to hear. :-)

While I enjoy Rock occaisionally, and listen to Hispanic language even though I don't know the language enough to follow them that fast (It helps liking German polkas.), I listen to classical nonstop in the car. But my favorite band this year, though I don't play their CD as nonstop as when I first got it, is the original cast of The Producers. Hell, I still have Rockapella's Carmen Sandiego CD on my short list. But I'm not always behind the times. What took everyone so long to discover the Kinsey Sicks??

Guest WetDream

Listen to classical (synphonic, chamber music, opera and lieder) at home but tune into a country and western station while driving around (like all of those sad, sad stories). As far as bands go, don't forget Duke Ellington or, going further back, the Coon-Saunders Night Hawks.

OK, not _totally_ classical. I feel I should clarify.

I do have a fondness for New Orleans jazz/dixieland. I became a clarinet player (and played professionally) because my parents were huge Pete Fountain fans. I grew up on it. Little did they know hooking me up with a good clarinet teacher would lead me to Mozart, Brahms and Copland.

Of course my CD collection has the usual suspects: Barbra, Liza, Donna, Patti, Janet, Linda, etc. And of course Ricky Martin can shake his bon bons my way any day.

I've got all the stuff a good fag should have. ;-) But on a relaxed evening at home, you're far more likely to hear Bartok or Tchaikovsky than any club mix.

Guest jeffOH

I like Fuel and Creed as far as rock bands go. I love Enya.

I like alot of pop/hip-hop/r&b/dance music...depends more on the

song than the artist sometimes. Never thought much of Mary J.Blige until her latest single...love it! "Superman" by Five for Fighting, J.Lo's "I'm Real" and Nelly Furtado's "Turn on the Light". As I get older, I notice I pay more attention to the lyrics. I like music that really stirs my emotions.

Jeff4hire@aol.com

Cher is my favorite singer. (I know, she's not a band, but she's had bands, I'm sure ;-)

She has a new single coming out in Europe called "The Music's No Good Without You" and we got an advanced copy of it from Germany. It's a great dance song. GET READY FOR ANOTHER YEAR OF CHER !!!!

Jeff

An American Expat in London

(formerly SFJEFF)

Guest Stefano

OK, now I can almost promise you that I will come back here and throw someone off my list and replace them when I think over time but at thi moment....

10 Elvis Presly

9 Del Shannon

8 Temptations

7 Supremes

6 Reba

5 George Strait

4 Shakira

3 Chicago

2 NSYNC

1 Erika Badu

Now I know I'll be mocked for some of them if not all but these are my choices anyways.

BTW Bucky, I love STAIND! I think he's hot. Love Ya and can't wait to see you in Dec!

Mike ;-)~ <--M.M.O.T.

Most of my favorite "bands" were behind the scenes musicians. For instance, the Motown house band in the 60's was excellent. I also liked Booker T & The MG's.

I guess one of the few current "bands" I like is Sade. I know that a lot of people think of Sade as being a solo artist, but most of the instruments on their various albums have been played by the same three men. While the singer's name is also Sade, it is clear from the liner notes to their cd's that the band considers themselves a group named Sade.

Guess I listed the rock bands first, since I mostly listen to them, but I'm quite eclectic in my musical tastes. I also enjoy classical music, jazz & blues, and country & western. Guess my musical tastes are as diverse as my friends. Variety truly is the spice of life. I neglected to mention Jonny Lang and Kenny Wayne Shepherd as my blues faves.....in the classical genre I love Shostakovich, Moussorgsky, Tchaikovsky, Elgar, Prokofiev, and Wagner (though I adamantly disassociate myself from Wagner's antisemitism).

Probably no surprises as to which pieces I like from the truly great composers:

Shostakovich's Fifth Symphony

Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet Overture Fantasie

Moussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition

Elgar's Violin Concerto in B Minor

Just about everything Wagner did in music

My favorite female vocalist: Without a doubt, Madonna!

Now I know I'll be mocked

>for some of them if

>not all but these are

>my choices anyways.

>

>BTW Bucky, I love STAIND! I

>think he's hot. Love Ya

>and can't wait to see

>you in Dec!

>

>Mike ;-)~ <--M.M.O.T.

Heya Mike:

No mocking from these quarters.....in the country genre, I love a very cute Canadian singer named Paul Brandt. He's got an incredibly sexy deep voice for a young guy, and he's not hard on the eyes, either.

You should have seen how freaked out my teenaged niece was when I was with her and bought the Staind album In her best Texas twang and her most serious "born again Christian" attitude, she pronounced it "the Devil's Music". It really cracked me up!

Love back at ya, and I'm also very excited about you coming out my way in December as well. Hang tough and keep in touch.

Bucky

>>Probably no surprises as to which

>>pieces I like from the

>>truly great composers:

>

>Bucky, dear, working musicians have a

>term for your "genre" of

>choice.

>

>You like the "big blows".

>

>How appropriate is that? ;-)

Deej, pretty appropriate I'd say.....(laughing like a maniac)

Deej stole my thunder... My all time favorite band, in terms of

the passion and musicality with which they play is the Vienna Phil. I'm surprised he didn't include the Met Opera Orch; they're playing very well these days, as is my local home town Band, the San Francisco Symphony. I'll take Philly and Chicago, but also add Cleveland under Szell for some things.

I'd never be able to support myself as a musician (my day gig is doing system support at a large west coast public university), but I'm a member of AFM local 6, and will be performing the Mozart oboe concerto with a community orchestra in which I play in December.

One from each decade:

60s

The Who "Live at Leeds"

70s

Talking Heads "More Songs about Buildings and Food"

80s

The Clash "London Calling"

90s

Pearl Jam "Ten"

00s

Celine Dion "America the Beautiful" because I get soooooooooo hard listening to a French-Canadian singing the words "my home sweet home."

Later.

My musical taste runs from 80's jangle-pop bands to current power-pop groups. 54-40, REM, Hoodoo Gurus, Hunters & Collectors, the Candyskins, the Mighty Lemon Drops, the Trashcan Sinatras, Echo & the Bunnymen, the Connells, the Mission UK.

I saw American HiFi a couple of weeks ago with Phantom Planet, both excellent. I love that New Found Glory CD. And I like the Eve 6 record quite a bit too. Other contemporary faves include Treble Charger, SR-71, neve, Athaneaum. If it has good harmonies and a jangly guitar I'll like it. :-) Oh, and the most recent Moffatts record was also surprisingly good. I saw them in Toronto last January...it was me and 5000 screaming 13 year old girls.

<<I'm surprised he didn't include the Met Opera Orch>>

That would be included in the "etc." ;-)

For pure passion in music making, give me any Russian orchestra playing the Russian greats like Shostakovich or Tchaikovsky. Not always the best on technical merit, but they have an unrivaled passion.

For lush romantic repetoire, the Stokowski and Ormandy dynasty still lives in Philly. For the "big blows" (Wagner, anyone?) nobody can touch the Chicago Symphony.

I had the luxury of taking a few private lessons from Clark Brody, former principal clarinet of the Chicago Symphony. We talked at length about the orchestra's history. I asked how the orchestra felt about Pierre Monteaux during his short tenure and his response was telling: "We missed Maestro Reiner and welcomed Maestro Solti".

St. Louis has a cookin' orchestra as well.

What do you think about the Houston Symphony? They keep telling us that they are a world class orchestra now. Personally, I think that they don't do enough of the big blows. There is the Pops, which has maybe one or two short light classical pieces per performance and there is the high falutin and it sometimes seems like they don't do much in between. While I will say that I have discovered one or two pieces I hadn't hit before and absolutely love, what can one say about a group that does Bruckner on Valentine's Day? Eschenbach was just too dour, seemed to love wallowing in melancholy. You can tell I'm not the only one thinking that because our new conductor is always pictured smiling and full of energy, and they even used a smiling portrait by Hirschfield to sell the season.

<<What do you think about the Houston Symphony? They keep telling us that they are a world class orchestra now. >>

It's a good orchestra. World class? I honestly don't know.

A good conductor can get any orchestra to perform above its true level, and the reverse is true as well. I've done enough conducting over the years to truly appreciate the great conductors much more than the great orchestras. It's a LOT more work than just waving your arms until the music stops. :-)

Archived