New Yahoo Group on Gaiety NYC

jaynnj
This topic is 7787 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi Guys I just wanted to let everyone know about

my new group. The Group is a FREE Yahoo club and it

is called The GAIETY NYC. On it we hope to have

postings on Dancers and other going ons at the

well known Gaiety Theatre in NYC. We also hope to have

old stories about the theatre and pictures of dancers

provideing we get there permission. Please feel free to join

and add your input as well. You can find the Group at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gaietynyc

Jay, When I logged onto that webpage, I got a message that said: "Yahoo Groups: This group contains adult content. We're sorry you have reached an age restricted area of Yahoo Groups. Return to home page."... How do I get onto that page?

what one has to do is click onto the home page.

Once you are there you will have to sign up to join

yahoo its FREE. Once you have answered the sign up

questions and have picked out a user name you will then

be a member of the Gaiety NYC Group. Hope that helps

from Jay.

Yahoo! is officially on my software shitlist at the moment.

My DSL provider was recently changed to SBC/Yahoo. They install a ton of software that's COMPLETELY unnecessary, obtrusive, INtrusive, and objectionable AND it imposes a horrible slowdown on your machine to boot!

They completely take over Internet Explorer, and give it a new look that you may or may not like. Worse, they make it impossible to change the default startup page. (MAJOR BAD MOJO!) AND they make it impossible to get "plain" Internet Explorer to start at all.

And the worst part? They don't tell you in advance that they're doing it. You think you're installing drivers for their DSL modem and suddenly you've got a slower machine that's loaded with advertising that YOU'RE PAYING TO SEE.

If this happens to you...

You can safely remove most of what they install. There are something like FIVE entries in add/remove programs in control panel that are nothing but yahoo crap. (Don't remove the driver for the DSL modem!) You have to reboot after each removal, so it takes a while, but it doesn't break anything and you get back to where you were and the DSL connection still works.

Microsoft gets sued for taking over the desktop like this. I sure hope Yahoo does too.

This has nothing do do with Yahoo groups. Yet. I'm just not real happy with Yahoo at the moment.

Deej,

Thanks for that post. I thought I was going crazy. My DSL connection also recently hooked up with Yahoo for it's content after dropping prodigy. The upgrade they insist on has changed both my netscape browser (used for str8 surfing and family e-mail) and I.E. (used for jack's play time) The upshot is, everything is slower, I am getting pop ups all the time. I am being spammed to death, even tried Mailwasher which you suggested. Can you tell me the programs to remove so I can get my speed back? Also really hate that Xupiter toolbar and deault change that sometimes happens on my start page.

If you require a tech fee, I will glady pay it. We're both in L.A. Area, so i can get it to you with no problem.

thanks

They also whack Netscape? That's even worse!

Assuming you're on a Windows PC, go to Start->Settings->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs.

Make a list of all the programs that start with "Yahoo!" (or SBC/Yahoo) and post it. I'll tell you which ones to remove. (It's actually pretty easy to guess.)

I suspect a LOT of people will experience this, so I may actually ask HooBoy to post it as a FAQ. SBC is transitioning all of their existing customers from Prodigy to Yahoo, which comes with all this screwball software. They're also in the process of absorbing all of the customers abandoned when DirecTV DSL closed its doors.

The DSL service itself is actually pretty good. But the dreck they force onto your desktop will be a turnoff for many.

Deej,

Tried to post this before and the system apparently didn't post it or I have gone back to moderated status. If it shows up twice, sorry.

thanks for your willingness to share this info. This morning after your first post I went to the control panel and removed the offending and default changing xupiter tool bar. It's gone. This is what remains:

SBC Yahoo dialup (remove only)

SBC Yahoo DSL activation

Yahoo messenger

Can any of this be removed. My DSL speed used to rate off the charts at the website listed below:

http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

Now, sometimes the yahoo mail just crawls, so does the message board sometimes. And I seem to have become the prime address for all kinds of spam x(

Thanks for your help

;)

I nuked Yahoo Dialup on my desktop. I don't anticipate needing a dial-up connection. I also nuked Yahoo Messenger because I don't use it. (3 Messengers is enough, thank you. ;-)) And I don't use yahoo mail at all. (THIS site has had slow periods while Daddy has been fiddling.)

The only Yahoo entry I left in place was Yahoo Login, mostly because I have no idea what it is but it sounds like it might be important. ;-) But understand that this change coincided with upgrading to their wireless home networking package so I likely have different options installed than you do.

If you're not using Yahoo Messenger, i'd nuke it immediately. Messenger programs are typically constantly polling the server for activity. You only need that overhead if you're actually using the program.

Note that I only installed the Yahoo software on a desktop, and only left it there long enough to activate the gateway. Once that was done, I plugged in a hub and NO OTHER SOFTWARE WAS REQUIRED for any other machine I plug into the hub.

Your setup may be different, particularly if you're not using their home networking package or if you're using a different version of Windows.

Oh, and once you've uninstalled their software, you can still get to all of their content. They leave behind a Yahoo! folder in Favorites with links to all of their stuff.

It's reprehensible that they install all this crap and don't tell us what it is or what it does. Who owns this computer, anyway? x(

One more thought, they only thing you might hurt by removing their stuff is you might lose your internet connection. But you still have the CD to re-install, right?

Just keep careful track of what you've removed so that you can do it again if you need to reinstall.

Archived