JLo "rebrands" tour after canceling seven dates

Ali Gator

Jennifer Lopez, who has experienced 'weak ticket sales' to her first concert tour in five years, has decided to rebrand the tour to attract more interest, after canceling seven shows due to lackluster ticket sales. 

The 'This Is Me Now' tour kicked off in February, to poor sales. She ended up canceling seven dates in the past month, including Cleveland and Nashville. Along with the tour announcement, Lopez released a new album titled “This Is Me… Now” (which flopped worldwide) and two films “This Is Me…Now: A Love Story,” and a documentary, “The Greatest Love Story Never Told.”(Both had low viewership, according to sources.) Lopez, 53, did extensive interviews the earlier part of the year, pushing her new projects.

According to sources close to the tour, she has dropped the "This is Me...Now" title to her tour, and the format focusing on the new songs from the album.  Going forward, the tour will be titled "This is Me...Live / The Greatest Hits" and will eliminate many of the songs from her flop album.  

VARIETY.COM

Jennifer Lopez has rebranded her 'This Is Me... Now' tour as a greatest hits show amid weak ticket sales.

• 1 month later...

It looks like Lopez's rebranding of her concert has done nothing for sales, and Lopez was the topic of conversation during a 'crisis talk' the past few weeks. LiveNation, the promoter of the tour, has been in talks with her team to pull the plug on her 30-date tour which kicks off in a matter of weeks. The problem is a major lack of ticket sales, with some scalpers already dropping the ticket prices to $10 just to get rid of them. Tickets to see Lopez at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas, on July 6, are on sale for $10 on resale site Seat Checker - $26 less than the cost of one of her tour merch caps. 

‘A few weeks ago, Live Nation met with JLo’s manager Benny Medina to suggest cancelling JLo’s tour and because him and JLo are so adamant that the show must go on, it’s going on,' a LiveNation insider said.

The insider suggested a lack of appetite for her tour could be due to her being 'overexposed.'

'JLo is over exposed and has put herself out there way too much,' they continued. 'First it was her marriage, then her never-ending honeymoon, followed by a movie, then an album release. 

'Then she felt the need to tell her and Ben's love story in a documentary that she funded called The Greatest Love Story Never Told. 

'And now Benny allowed her to go on a massive tour. It is just too much.' 

Lopez's former publicist, Rob Shuter, uttered similar sentiments during an interview with the The New York Post, claiming her mistake was thinking people still care about her love story with Affleck. 'But no one cares about Bennifer anymore. The world has moved on.'

Lopez announced her This is Me... Now tour in February - her first US tour in five years. In March, she quietly canceled seven dates in Cleveland, Nashville, Raleigh, Atlanta, Tampa, New Orleans and Houston between August 20 and 31 amid slow sales.

Performances in Denver, Colorado, and Tulsa, Oklahoma, are selling particularly badly, with row upon row of seats still available, according to the website.

The numbers are also concerning for her double nights at the Kaseya Center in Miami on June 28 and 29, and her hometown shows at Madison Square Garden in New York City on August 16 and 17.

Despite selling the majority of tickets for the first nights, numbers are abysmal for the second, in particular on August 17 - the closing night of the tour - with large numbers of seats still available.

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2024 at 1:49 PM, Ali Gator said:

'JLo is over exposed and has put herself out there way too much,' they continued. 'First it was her marriage, then her never-ending honeymoon, followed by a movie, then an album release... 'Then she felt the need to tell her and Ben's love story in a documentary that she funded called The Greatest Love Story Never Told...

Lopez's former publicist, Rob Shuter, uttered similar sentiments during an interview with the The New York Post, claiming her mistake was thinking people still care about her love story with Affleck. 'But no one cares about Bennifer anymore. The world has moved on.'

On 5/12/2024 at 10:33 PM, BuffaloKyle said:

It's cheaper to see her live in concert than to go see her in a movie! 🤣

Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are reportedly on “two different pages” in their marriage amid rumors they are headed toward divorce.

“Jen and Ben are having issues in their marriage,” a source told Us Weekly Thursday. “They started having issues a few months ago as Jen had started ramping up work commitments and prepping for her tour.”

Per the insider, the “On the Floor” songstress “is very focused on work” as she is set to start her “This is Me … Now: A Love Story” world tour in Orlando, Fla., next month.

“They are on two completely different pages most of the time,” the source added.

While Lopez, 54, was recently spotted house hunting in Los Angeles, Calif., on Tuesday, the insider insisted she was merely searching for an investment property.

However, another source told the outlet that Affleck, 51, was living in a separate home from the “Let’s Get Loud” singer.

They also alleged the A-list couple isn’t ready to throw in the towel yet as another echoed they are working on their marriage.

Jennifer Lopez, Ben Affleck

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

There are a lot of 'rumors' and 'blind items' all over the internet the past week saying J Lo is going to get busted along with Diddy. Apparently she knew something about a murder 25 years ago (I didn't pay attention to the details) and she's been well connected to what's been going on with Diddy. Who knows ? 

However, these rumors of Affleck 'moving out' started when Diddy's home got raided back in March. Everyone is speculating that Affleck wants nothing to do with JLo and her involvement with Diddy. When you think about the timing, it does make sense. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yea.  Well she probably has a divorce to announce. Maybe that will come tomorrow. Check out this variety article regarding the tour cancellation. You can see the seat maps for three of the previously scheduled shows. Blue seats indicate seats not sold yet. Pretty wild. 

VARIETY.COM

Jennifer Lopez has canceled her troubled summer tour to spend more time with her family and is...

The old 'spend more time with my family' excuse.  It's a summer tour - why doesn't she bring her kids along for the tour like other divas (Diana Ross, Donna Summer, Dionne Warwick) have done in the past ? 

The album was a flop, her documentary was a flop, her tour is a flop and by all accounts - her marriage is over. 

Based on the stage of her career she's in, it would've been in her best interest to play mid-sized to small venues for the "intimate" experience to give what fans that are left a great show. No reason to knock the lack of success with her current stuff. Audiences are terminally unpredictable. Hell, in her case, I like the song "Play", and nothing else. $10 to see it live? No thanks. I'd rather pay 3 bucks to hear it at Buffalo Wild Wings just to piss everyone else off. 

1 hour ago, viewing ownly said:

Based on the stage of her career she's in, it would've been in her best interest to play mid-sized to small venues for the "intimate" experience to give what fans that are left a great show. No reason to knock the lack of success with her current stuff. Audiences are terminally unpredictable. Hell, in her case, I like the song "Play", and nothing else. $10 to see it live? No thanks. I'd rather pay 3 bucks to hear it at Buffalo Wild Wings just to piss everyone else off. 

BULLSHIT!!!  

THAT'S JUST YOUR EXCUSE FOR HAVING A TABLE PERPETUALLY RESERVED AT BUFFALO WILD WINGS.

1 hour ago, viewing ownly said:

Based on the stage of her career she's in, it would've been in her best interest to play mid-sized to small venues for the "intimate" experience to give what fans that are left a great show.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Mariah Carey came to Buffalo in 2019 and did a show at Shea's which usually only hosts touring Broadway shows and only seats 3,019. I was surprised she played such a small venue but that was right before she had her big resurgence with "All I Want for Christmas is You" hitting #1.

I have a feeling JLo was feeling competitve with Madonna, who was still performing at big arenas the past few months (though not sold out) . Madonna had her own set of problems (and cancellations, IIRC) but she ended up pulling it off.  But JLo is not Madonna. 

This reminds me of Janet Jackson's concert tours in the past - she couldn't even fill amphitheaters. She ended up cancelling her tours saying she was 'ill'. Nothing makes an entertainer more ill than knowing you have no audiences left.