Sunblock for solo travelers

Andy768

I'm planning a solo trip during which I'd like to lay out in the sun a bit, and I"m wondering how others who travel alone deal with the pesky issue of getting sunblock on the back. If at a resort, is this something a staff member could be asked to do (or is that against the rules)? If at a resort with mostly couples, is it poor etiquette to ask a man who is coupled to help you out? Or do you just figure out a way to do it yourself with some combo of reach around and/or applying to towel/spatula/some such contraption?

On Amazon, search for "sunscreen back applicator" and you'll get a huge variety of options. Some even fold up easily for travel. Some have video demonstrations. All have reviews that you can read through to see how they've worked (or haven't) for others. And sure, feel free to ask a handsome stranger if you're willing to trust your luck. 🤞😉It could end up being a fun "how we first met" story to tell at your wedding.

2 minutes ago, Thomas_Belgium said:

Indeed, very practical, also for other body parts.

The only downside to sunblock spray is the face.  I've tried spraying into my hands then rubbing on my face, but it still occasionally runs into my eyes and stings.  Best stick with lotion for the face, then body spray everywhere else.

Just now, Vegas_Millennial said:

The only downside to sunblock spray is the face.  I've tried spraying into my hands then rubbing on my face, but it still occasionally runs into my eyes and stings.  Best stick with lotion for the face, then body spray everywhere else.

It's really best to use a whole separate SPF made specifically for your face.

High SPF lotion for the face, spray for the body. You can reach your own back with the spray if necessary, but a companion helping you is more comfortable and accurate. Rub the back of your hands together with either lotion or spray to get that skin covered without greasing up the pads of your fingers and palms. That last trick works well for day to day moisturizing products.

…and for those of you blonds, gingers, and others as pale as I am, reapply every hour, stick to the shade, wear a hat, sunglasses, and be extra careful about your exposure between 10am-2pm.

…or simply stay indoors and take a sigh of relief!

23 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

Thre are face sprays that don't sting (Biotherm & Garnier) but to be sure I put on my (spare) sun glasses first before spraying in my face.