September in Europe. Where should I go?

m4same

10 hours ago, JourneysEnd said:

I tend to waver between discovering somewhere new and going back to somewhere I know I'll love.

Me too.  I no longer try and do everything when I travel but I try to enjoy what I'm doing and tell myself I can return.  It relieves some internal stress. Both new places and return visits are generally great. But FOMO is real.

On 3/26/2024 at 2:35 AM, JourneysEnd said:

If you want proximity to Paris then Istanbul and Bucharest are probably a bit far away.

Europe isn't really that big compared to other continents but can still take a chunk of time if you're traveling by train. More interesting views than planes though. I use RomeToRio to work out travel plans to start with.

I'm not sure about rain, to be honest. I'm English and I lived in Ireland for over a decade so rain is just something I accept as a fact of life and generally ignore. The climate section of Wikipedia pages is generally a good guide. The only European city I can remember being kept indoors by rain recently is Bucharest and that was only one day so I went to a spa.

I was in Ireland a couple times and loved it.  I felt like I was adopted Irish and accepted as an insider.  I taught storytelling at a University as a week long workshop and had a great experience.  I didn't teach storytelling to the Irish.  Basically, I taught them when to stop.

20 hours ago, m4same said:

I was in Ireland a couple times and loved it.  I felt like I was adopted Irish and accepted as an insider.  I taught storytelling at a University as a week long workshop and had a great experience.  I didn't teach storytelling to the Irish.  Basically, I taught them when to stop.

I lived in Belfast for over a decade and loved the place. 

If you are thinking of coming to the United Kingdom in September, my personal opinion would be avoid it. Our general election has to be held before January 28th 2025 and yet everything seems to indicate an election date of mid October, which means thanks to the rules the campaign will have started at the end of July, and given how there will be a change of government there is no party of this country where you will not get accosted by a politican, therefore this year give the UK a miss in September, but you would be more than welcome next September

2 hours ago, Welshman said:

If you are thinking of coming to the United Kingdom in September, my personal opinion would be avoid it. Our general election has to be held before January 28th 2025 and yet everything seems to indicate an election date of mid October, which means thanks to the rules the campaign will have started at the end of July, and given how there will be a change of government there is no party of this country where you will not get accosted by a politican, therefore this year give the UK a miss in September, but you would be more than welcome next September

Thanks.  I would not have thought about election chaos.

14 hours ago, Welshman said:

There will be discussions on TV and in the Press about the election but I really don't see how it will affect a tourist in any way at all. 

The public is pretty apathetic about this election as the outcome has already been decided if you believe all the polls and public mood and if anything it is a slightly more interesting time to be in the U.K.

I'd certainly come and visit. 

4 hours ago, JulianLondon said:

There will be discussions on TV and in the Press about the election but I really don't see how it will affect a tourist in any way at all.  The public is pretty apathetic about this election as the outcome has already been decided if you believe all the polls and public mood and if anything it is a slightly more interesting time to be in the U.K. I'd certainly come and visit. 

The concern I have is that whilst most of the country will allow the election to go over their heads, if Reform UK feel they can win a constituency, they will campaign hard in that constituency and given how some of their discussions of late have been rather negative towards certain types of people, I am worried that a rival demonstration could easily turn into fisticuffs and we wouldn't want our friend to be caught in the middle of that now, would we?

3 hours ago, Welshman said:

The concern I have is that whilst most of the country will allow the election to go over their heads, if Reform UK feel they can win a constituency, they will campaign hard in that constituency and given how some of their discussions of late have been rather negative towards certain types of people, I am worried that a rival demonstration could easily turn into fisticuffs and we wouldn't want our friend to be caught in the middle of that now, would we?

In that vein should we British not visit America this Autumn in the run up to the election on the 5th November which will also have elements that might well be disruptive. 

You can't live your life cowered by such sentiments.