Yahoo News didn't even thank me

jeezopete

Yesterday I started reading an article on Yahoo News. The first sentence was:

Grant Cardone is less than pleased with the ruling against former Donald Trump, in which Trump has been ordered to pay $355 million in penalties plus interest.

Now as a retired teacher, it really irritates me when an article gets published (yes, even on an internet news site) with such a glaring mistake. I stopped reading & went right to the comments. I typed this:

Wed 21 Feb 2024 11:32:37 PM
Is the first sentence for real?? Where do they find writers like this and who the heck is responsible for editing or reviewing before publishing?? It says "former Donald Trump" like the man has changed his name. What the actual heck???? Oh wait, is he like the artist formerly known as Prince? 
"Grant Cardone is less than pleased with the ruling against former Donald Trump, in which Trump has been ordered to pay $355 million in penalties plus interest."

A few minutes later I received a notice:  Your comment has been approved and published

This morning I woke to find this in my email:
Your comment on "Grant Cardone to Team: 
"Immediately Discontinue All Underwriting on New York City Real Estate"" violates the community guidelines and has been rejected

I went back to the original article, which of course now reads: 
Grant Cardone is less than pleased with the ruling against former President Donald Trump, in which Trump has been ordered to pay $355 million in penalties plus interest.

🙄

I sometimes wonder if some internet aggregating computer, never seen by a human, gathers news and tries to write an article from it, using AI or something??.......grammar, spelling, punctuation, continuity errors are common........if there is an option to write to the "author", I'll occasionally do it, just to keep them on their toes that we're watching......about one in ten respond with a thank-you.......

5 hours ago, jeezopete said:

Yesterday I started reading an article on Yahoo News. The first sentence was:

Grant Cardone is less than pleased with the ruling against former Donald Trump, in which Trump has been ordered to pay $355 million in penalties plus interest.

Now as a retired teacher, it really irritates me when an article gets published (yes, even on an internet news site) with such a glaring mistake. I stopped reading & went right to the comments. I typed this:

Wed 21 Feb 2024 11:32:37 PM
Is the first sentence for real?? Where do they find writers like this and who the heck is responsible for editing or reviewing before publishing?? It says "former Donald Trump" like the man has changed his name. What the actual heck???? Oh wait, is he like the artist formerly known as Prince? 
"Grant Cardone is less than pleased with the ruling against former Donald Trump, in which Trump has been ordered to pay $355 million in penalties plus interest."

A few minutes later I received a notice:  Your comment has been approved and published

This morning I woke to find this in my email:
Your comment on "Grant Cardone to Team: 
"Immediately Discontinue All Underwriting on New York City Real Estate"" violates the community guidelines and has been rejected

I went back to the original article, which of course now reads: 
Grant Cardone is less than pleased with the ruling against former President Donald Trump, in which Trump has been ordered to pay $355 million in penalties plus interest.

🙄

Yahoo News? Good God. I consider it the Esquire of online news. That's nothing compared to the "articles" I've read there that sound like they were written by an 11 year old whose first language isn't English. For real, I gave up with reading any "news" from there due to their very unprofessional reporting. Not only their article have terrible spelling, grammar and punctuation, but they are very sensationalistic and misleading. At some point they decided to do away from comments because it became an echo chamber of hateful remarks. I believe that they have commenting back.

I'm not surprised that they act that way. They just can't care less.

Many publications, including the New York Times, have eliminated entire levels of editing and fact checking.  The mistakes of grammar and facts to be encountered nowadays are astonishing and are rarely acknowledged.

Sometime ago, I caught a glaring factual error in a feature article in the New York Times which could have only happened if the author had simply made up the fact.  I wrote the author by email.  I never received any response, but the sentence at issue disappeared from the online version of the article.