How do you suppose this happens?

CarolinaRen

I've just recently had a provider I saw in the summer of 2018 pop up in my "people you may know" stream on a social media platform. It's definitely him, and it's his real account and his real name. We have no mutual friends, and we've never had any dealings with each other outside of our session that afternoon. I was baffled when I first saw it. Would Facebook be rummaging through our phone records? His number would have been in my phone for awhile, but I dropped that phone and ruined it in 2020. His number isnt on my current phone. This just happened a couple of weeks ago. Any ideas? The ways we're being tracked these days is something else.

1 hour ago, CarolinaRen said:

I've just recently had a provider I saw in the summer of 2018 pop up in my "people you may know" stream on a social media platform. It's definitely him, and it's his real account and his real name. We have no mutual friends, and we've never had any dealings with each other outside of our session that afternoon. 

How did you first contact him? How did you set up your appointment? After you saw him, did you thank him or did he thank you? How? Did you ever leave a review?

Facebook has many ways of associating two people. It has all the photos posted on all its platforms. It owns Instagram. It owns WhatsApp. It owns Threads. It has phone numbers and probably even phone records -- in addition to photos and images and friends and contacts. It knows how to link them all and find connections.

Why do you think Mark Zuckerberg always has such a smug expression on his face? 😇

Edited by Marc in Calif

1 hour ago, CarolinaRen said:

The ways we're being tracked these days is something else.

Some time ago I downloaded the data Facebook and Google had on me, and my connections, and where I had been, and what I had bought, and.....

It was quite an eyeopener. I proceeded to be much more stringent in my privacy settings, deleting apps that track locations and calls on my phone, deleting cookies on my computer, using DuckDuckGo, using Firefox, etc. 

But alas, the truth is the corporate surveillance economy is more talented than any level of privacy settings we can set.

3 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

How did you first contact him? How did you set up your appointment? After you saw him, did you thank him or did he thank you? How? Did you ever leave a review?

Facebook has many ways of associating two people. It has all the photos posted on all its platforms. It owns Instagram. It owns WhatsApp. It owns Threads. It has phone numbers and probably even phone records -- in addition to photos and images and friends and contacts. It knows how to link them all and find connections.

Why do you think Mark Zuckerberg always has such a smug expression on his face? 😇

Hey, just via text. That was all.

1 minute ago, MuscleDaddyRWC said:

Last year I hooked up with a guy via BBRTS and as I was leaving his house he popped up as a suggested friend on Facebook.  I figured they looked at my phone records or else matched us via location. 

BBRTS?

If he has your number saved in his contacts that's all it takes 

It's not about going through phone records, it's about what other people upload to Facebook about you.

If he's synced his contacts with Facebook that could contain loads of information including full name and address.

Even if you have changed number since meeting him, a friend or family member who had you old number and now has your new number will probably have contact syncing turned on so Facebook will have a log of you and all your old data