6,000 € fine for teenage fan who poked player's buttock!

OP note: Certainly, an inappropriate behavior! Are the authorities overreacting? 

THEATHLETIC.COM

A supporter who poked Sevilla forward Lucas Ocampos on the backside during their La Liga match at Rayo Vallecano has been fined €6k and given a year-long stadium ban in...

WWW.ESPN.COM

LaLiga will report a Rayo Vallecano fan that poked Sevilla winger Lucas Ocampos in the backside to the juvenile prosecutor's office.

He sure tried to play it off like he was inadvertently pointing, and the soccer guy just so happened to be there at that moment. 

I feel stadium bans for anyone is insanity. Unless you're on some kind of ankle bracelet, how will anyone know in a gigantic stadium if you return? To compare currency, do you still approximately double what you see in Britain to the U.S.A.? In other words, is this fine about $12,000 U.S. dollars? 

That is a strange amount to settle on. Where does the money go? I for one will never sit that close in a sporting event ever again. The players stink!

6 minutes ago, viewing ownly said:

He sure tried to play it off like he was inadvertently pointing, and the soccer guy just so happened to be there at that moment. 

I feel stadium bans for anyone is insanity. Unless you're on some kind of ankle bracelet, how will anyone know in a gigantic stadium if you return? To compare currency, do you still approximately double what you see in Britain to the U.S.A.? In other words, is this fine about $12,000 U.S. dollars? 

That is a strange amount to settle on. Where does the money go? I for one will never sit that close in a sporting event ever again. The players stink!

It was in Spain, not Britain and the fine was 6,000 Euros, which is $USD6,435. (The GBP is USD 1.26.) As I read it the fine was imposed by Spanish civil authorities, the government's anti-violence commission, so the money would have gone to the Spanish state. I assume his ban from stadiums in Spain would place him on some sort of La Liga black list that could be checked at turnstiles or ticket offices. How effective the list would be is a separate question, but entering a stadium may well be an offence.

58 minutes ago, viewing ownly said:

To compare currency, do you still approximately double what you see in Britain to the U.S.A.? In other words, is this fine about $12,000 U.S. dollars? 

You're probably thinking of 2008 -- the last time the pound was double the dollar. Before that, it was way back in 1992 and several times in the 1970s.

8 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

You're probably thinking of 2008 -- the last time the pound was double the dollar. Before that, it was way back in 1992 and several times in the 1970s.

Ha ha those are literally likely the last exact two points in time I looked into it! I remember '92 well, as working in the tourist industry, a TON of Brits visited the States during that time frame. I'd love to go somewhere where I spoke the local language (to a point), and my money was worth double.

5 minutes ago, viewing ownly said:

Ha ha those are literally likely the last exact two points in time I looked into it! I remember '92 well, as working in the tourist industry, a TON of Brits visited the States during that time frame. I'd love to go somewhere where I spoke the local language (to a point), and my money was worth double.

Now is the time to visit Britain.  I visited last year, and it wasn't too hard for me to understand the local language to a point.

3 hours ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

Now is the time to visit Britain.  I visited last year, and it wasn't too hard for me to understand the local language to a point.

That point will be extremely difficult to get beyond if you visit Scotland and hang out with the locals. It often sounds like a foreign language!

On 2/14/2024 at 5:54 AM, marylander1940 said:

Are the authorities overreacting? 

Had it been a female athlete that was poked instead of a male, there would be an even bigger outcry for punishment.  So in that context, this is not an overreaction.

Edited by Vegas_Millennial