Historic performances of last 30 years

sutherland

Can anybody identify a historic operatic performance of the past 30 years?  When I first took an interest in opera in the 1970s there were people, of an older generation, who seemed to say the only great singers were the dead singers.  I am turning into one of them.  I cannot think of any operatic performances since 1993 that quality as "historic".  Let's look at other 30-year periods and their legendary performances:

1900-1930 (Caruso & Ponselle in Verdi)

1930-1960 (Callas & DiStefano at La Scala, Milanov & Tebaldi in the Italian repertoire, Melchior & Flagstad singing Wagner)

1960-1990 (Price, Corelli, Sutherland, Nilsson, Pavarotti, Domingo)

• 4 weeks later...

What the future regards as historical is always up for interpretation. Plenty of great artists were hitting their stride in the 90’s all over the world. And the “kids” of the early 2000’s have done a lot of impressive work. Naming one “historical” performance over a 30yr span is all POV isn’t it?

I love that I enjoy recordings from the past 60 years, but it’s still a one-off live art form on the stage for me, and I find newer talent as thrilling as the old guard. 

The Hours was underwhelming IMO, except for DiDonato. A triumph of marketing though, which opera sorely needs.

Radvanovsky as the three Tudor queens perhaps?  But then, I’m partial to her voice, since it’s one of the few that can really shine at a venue as large as the Met. She has sent chills down my spine before. 

Fleming in Rosenkavalier was perfection.