Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1996

samhexum

Just as in 2024, 1996 began on a Monday and was a leap year featuring 366 days. Now, many are dusting off old boxes or scouring eBay in the hopes of finding a calendar from that year to use all over again.

lifestyle-reuse-tacky-1996-74306163.jpg?

lifestyle-reuse-tacky-1996-74306165.jpg?

Edited by samhexum
for absolutely NO @%!*ING reason at all!

Interestingly I am reading the diaries of Captain Robert Scott from the time of his last ill fated expedition to the South Pole. New Year’s Day in 1912 was a Monday. He died before the spring but his diaries were discovered 8 months later in his frozen tent alongside him and his two companions. 

The diaries were turned into a book produced in two volumes entitled Scott’s Last Expedition which I inherited from my grandfather through my father. He acquired a first edition in 1913 when it was first published. A gripping tale. There is an entry for almost everyday of the expedition until the day he died, when he wrote his last words. 

Edited by Luv2play

20 hours ago, samhexum said:

Just as in 2024, 1996 began on a Monday and was a leap year featuring 366 days. Now, many are dusting off old boxes or scouring eBay in the hopes of finding a calendar from that year to use all over again.

lifestyle-reuse-tacky-1996-74306163.jpg?

lifestyle-reuse-tacky-1996-74306165.jpg?

She has never made it big in the US

1 hour ago, WilliamM said:

Wonderful post

Thanks 

My father gave me the books over 40 years ago. I always intended to read them and now I have. I will be passing them on to my nephew, who has two sons in their teens. Maybe they will read them too as I understand at least one is a keen reader.

12 hours ago, Luv2play said:

My father gave me the books over 40 years ago. I always intended to read them and now I have. I will be passing them on to my nephew, who has two sons in their teens. Maybe they will read them too as I understand at least one is a keen reader.

A quick look online shows that a first edition set, depending on the condition, may be worth several hundred or even several thousand dollars.  It may be wise to have an expert take a look and then possibly consider getting separate insurance for them.  And yes, I do watch the Antiques Roadshow.... :D 

7 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

A quick look online shows that a first edition set, depending on the condition, may be worth several hundred or even several thousand dollars.  It may be wise to have an expert take a look and then possibly consider getting separate insurance for them.  And yes, I do watch the Antiques Roadshow.... :D 

I had checked their value a couple of times over the years and yes, they are quite  valuable as they are in nice condition. I’ve never believed in insuring my art works or other valuable artifacts that are only in the range of several thousand dollars apiece. The cost of insurance riders would eat up appreciation in values over the years. 

Also another thing is the valuation by an expert. Those don’t come cheap. You’re looking at about $140 for an item that is maybe worth $4000 or so. That is what  I was charged last year for a gold item that was to be donated to a charitable cause since Revenue Canada insists on a valuation by an expert in order to accept a tax receipt for any item over $1000.

Some charities will pay for the valuation in order to get the gift, I have also experienced.

Edited by Luv2play