Anyone dropping Amazon Prime (and other streamers) in the new year ?

Ali Gator

There's a great conversation going on at another site about dropping Amazon Prime and other streamers in 2024. I'm curious what others think here - has anyone considered it ? (It's being said the easy solution is to get a great VPN and stream on Torrents, though I'm not certain if that's the way to go or if I will participate in that, myself - thoughts ?) 

Amazon Prime: It was once promoted as giving the Prime customer guaranteed 2 day delivery with no minimum order; hassle-free returns with drop-offs at Kohl's, Whole Foods and UPS or send it back via a delivery system; streaming service with thousands of shows and movies available with no commercials; other perks (such as music, photos, etc.). 

This has changed in the past year or so: 'Guaranteed 2 day delivery' is no more, and many have complained about this. I, myself, ordered a handful of things in October and November and opted for 2-day delivery - I got my stuff in 5 -7 days, which is standard for non-Prime customers. 'Hassle-free' returns are also now a thing of the past, as Amazon has fully enforced a 'restocking fee' on many items the past couple of years if you go past a certain amount of items that you return during the year (good luck on finding out how much the restocking fee is or how many returns you can make per year, as there's no clarification on their forum). On the other message board, customers are saying they've been charged 5% - 35%, and only found out about it when their refund came through- not when they placed the order.  

More and more 'free movies and TV shows' are now under the option to rent or buy - no more free streaming. If a series is 'free', they have cut down on the number of episodes / seasons available and for how long you can access it for free.  Starting next month, they will be inserting ads in all their 'free streaming'. If you want no ads, it will cost you $3 a month more (but the reason we signed up for Prime is to be ad free).

On the other forum, it was suggested to drop Prime (I'd save $139 a year) and wait until you have $35 worth of merchandise in your cart and then have it shipped for free - it will get to you within 5-7 days just like it does now for Prime. I may do this.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this or other streamers ?  (I have Prime and Netflix - I probably will keep Netflix). 

I've had none of those issues from Prime, other than a next day promise sometimes go to two days. Rarely any longer and they always email me giving me an opportunity to cancel or re-order. Returns hassle free at my local UPS store...although that could change this year, not sure if their new policy will affect my locale or not.

I'm a fan of Prime and will continue it. Already signed up for the $3 no commercials.

Re: other streamers I'm dropping them when there's no content I'm interested in. Just returned my Cox cable box, went to a internet only with Cox and subscribed to YouTube TV. Loving the change. About a net $120-140/month savings.

25 minutes ago, MikeBiDude said:

Re: other streamers I'm dropping them when there's no content I'm interested in. Just returned my Cox cable box, went to a internet only with Cox and subscribed to YouTube TV. Loving the change. About a net $120-140/month savings.

I did the exact same thing a month ago, when my COX contract came up. I, too, sunscribed to Youtube TV (which is taking me a while to get used to) and also saving about $120 a month. 

The extra $3 for ad free viewing is lame. They already make so much freaking money.

I am dropping Prime because I don’t use any of the other services besides ad-free streaming and rarely do I truly need 2-day Prime shipping - when the option is available for a given item at all. The free streaming was the value proposition to me because the way I see it, my annual subscription fee is essentially pre-paying my shipping. Hopefully I order enough stuff to justify the value for myself, but not every year works out that way. The one thing that made Prime valuable to me is now going to cost me an extra $36/yr. No thanks. Boycott until they offer ad-free streaming with Prime again.

With so many streaming competitors, I can get my entertainment fix elsewhere using only one or two platform subscriptions. I already use VUDU to watch movies and shows à la carte that I can’t get elsewhere. Why be limited to the content offered on a given platform? When I have to pay for the specific content I want anyway, I may as well get a wider selection.

On a far smaller scale, Amazon has also acquired the Australian broadcasting rights for all International Cricket Council, or ICC, events abroad for the next four years. ICC events held in Australia must be law be offered first to Australian free-to-air broadcasters, but there are none here during the contract. In what I'm sure is totally unrelated news, the existing rights holder cut my monthly subscription from $25 to $10 for the next year. They have other content I will continue to watch although I may pause my subscription more often now ICC content won't be there.  I had never considered Amazon before but no doubt I'll be checking their offerings soon.

7 hours ago, BuffaloKyle said:

It's apparently because of all the money they shelled out for the Thursday Night Football package I read. $1 billion per year through 2033. Bit off a little more than they could chew.

That sucks. Only some of their viewers are interested in viewing football, whereas all of their viewers have interests spanning the rest of their rotating library. Everyone now has to pay more to subsidize the portion who view sports? I’m out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2023 at 12:01 PM, Ali Gator said:

There's a great conversation going on at another site about dropping Amazon Prime and other streamers in 2024. I'm curious what others think here - has anyone considered it ? (It's being said the easy solution is to get a great VPN and stream on Torrents, though I'm not certain if that's the way to go or if I will participate in that, myself - thoughts ?) 

Amazon Prime: It was once promoted as giving the Prime customer guaranteed 2 day delivery with no minimum order; hassle-free returns with drop-offs at Kohl's, Whole Foods and UPS or send it back via a delivery system; streaming service with thousands of shows and movies available with no commercials; other perks (such as music, photos, etc.). 

This has changed in the past year or so: 'Guaranteed 2 day delivery' is no more, and many have complained about this. I, myself, ordered a handful of things in October and November and opted for 2-day delivery - I got my stuff in 5 -7 days, which is standard for non-Prime customers. 'Hassle-free' returns are also now a thing of the past, as Amazon has fully enforced a 'restocking fee' on many items the past couple of years if you go past a certain amount of items that you return during the year (good luck on finding out how much the restocking fee is or how many returns you can make per year, as there's no clarification on their forum). On the other message board, customers are saying they've been charged 5% - 35%, and only found out about it when their refund came through- not when they placed the order.  

More and more 'free movies and TV shows' are now under the option to rent or buy - no more free streaming. If a series is 'free', they have cut down on the number of episodes / seasons available and for how long you can access it for free.  Starting next month, they will be inserting ads in all their 'free streaming'. If you want no ads, it will cost you $3 a month more (but the reason we signed up for Prime is to be ad free).

On the other forum, it was suggested to drop Prime (I'd save $139 a year) and wait until you have $35 worth of merchandise in your cart and then have it shipped for free - it will get to you within 5-7 days just like it does now for Prime. I may do this.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this or other streamers ?  (I have Prime and Netflix - I probably will keep Netflix). 

May I ask what is the other Site you mentioned having a similar thread?

I dropped Apple in December and dropped Netflix awhile back.

I still have Prime and Hulu.  I've also tried free streaming on Kanopy, Hoopladigital, and TubiTv.

I may return to Netflix.  

Edited by TonyDown

8 hours ago, TonyDown said:

May I ask what is the other Site you mentioned having a similar thread?

I dropped Apple in December and dropped Netflix awhile back.

I still have Prime and Hulu.  I've also tried free streaming on Kanopy, Hoopladigital, and TubiTv.

I may return to Netflix.  

It was on DataLounge. 

On 12/29/2023 at 12:55 PM, Ali Gator said:

I did the exact same thing a month ago, when my COX contract came up. I, too, sunscribed to Youtube TV (which is taking me a while to get used to) and also saving about $120 a month. 

When I’m on the island, I expect a slight delay from all online purchases; but when I’m home Prime purchases often arrive the same night. I dropped AT&T cable ten years ago and I don’t even have a TV in either of my places. I’ve never liked TV and may be the only Boomer who’s never watched SNL, Seinfeld or any other serial. I still have Prime Video and Netflix but may reconsider that. Lately, it seems that producers have an algorithm that produces curiously similar plots. I might try the paid YouTube option.