Mid 40s and thinking about retirement more - social networking

FIRE Financial Independent Retire Early folks are a bit crazy.  However, I do wonder more and more at what point should I start to pull back from working full-time.  

I've been single AF for most of my adulthood. I'll likely be the last of my immediate family.  I don't intend to pass along an inheritance to anyone.

My early retirement concerns are: 

Affording Quality Healthcare to enable Quality of Life - I'd rather die while I'm living then live when I'm dead.  

Finding purpose in retirement 

Knowing when I can push back and be "okay" (figure that will likely need a financial advisor) 

Affording my indulgences from time to time 

For those approaching or in-retirement, how did you answer some of these questions? 

2 hours ago, BeamerBikes said:

FIRE Financial Independent Retire Early folks are a bit crazy.  However, I do wonder more and more at what point should I start to pull back from working full-time.  

I've been single AF for most of my adulthood. I'll likely be the last of my immediate family.  I don't intend to pass along an inheritance to anyone.

Affording Quality Healthcare to enable Quality of Life - I'd rather die while I'm living then live when I'm dead.  

Knowing when I can push back and be "okay" (figure that will likely need a financial advisor) 

For those approaching or in-retirement, how did you answer some of these questions? 

I'm approaching a mid-40s retirement.

I plan to circle the globe on a cruise in my 1st year of retirement, then live a few months in a big city apartment near a subway station (I've only experienced suburbs my entire life).  Having that very specific goal has kept me focused (I've had that goal since 2015).

I'm leaning towards moving to Florida for winters when I retire, because I look forward to my annual Ft Lauderdale trips more than any other.

I plan to work seasonal summer jobs with youth, because that brings me joy (camp counselor, etc.).

I plan to work with theater somehow, perhaps on the board of a non-profit local theater, etc., because theater also brings me joy

What helped me the most was to picture people I know who are already in retirement (my parents, and friends I worked with), and decide what I want to do differently or the same as they did.

Edited by Vegas_Millennial

28 minutes ago, Vegas_Millennial said:

I'm approaching a mid-40s retirement.

I plan to circle the globe in 1st year of retirement, then live a few months in a big city apartment near a subway station (I've only experienced suburbs my entire life).

I'm leaning towards moving to Florida, because I look forward to my annual Ft Lauderdale trips more than any other.

I plan to work seasonal summer jobs with youth, because that brings me joy (camp counselor, etc.).

I plan to work with theater somehow, perhaps on the board of a non-profit local theater, etc.

Yeah, I'd want to work in some capacity. Ideally, keep the hours flexible, stress to a minimum and decent Healthcare benefits. 

Edited by BeamerBikes
Grammar

On 12/19/2023 at 6:12 PM, BeamerBikes said:

Hi, you used abreviations in your post.  That makes it difficult to understand your post or what you are asking. 

When you wrote "I've been single AF for most of my adulthood." Does that mean you have been serving in the United Stated Air Force?  If so, your retirement will be made a lot easier than if you have worked for a private company.  

Again, if your mean Air Force when you wrote AF, you will not need to worry about medical expense if you retire from the Air Force.  There are many other benefits for prior military veterans honorably discharged.  

Abreviations are sometimes nice but many times abreviation cause the meaning of a message to be lost.  

If AF mean Air Force, please confirm and I can let you know of a lot of benefits that are not advertised for former military who have been discharged honorably.