Nuovo Olimpo on Netflix

soloyo215

Nuovo Olimpo on Netflix

WWW.NETFLIX.COM

In 1970s Rome, a casual encounter between Enea and Pietro at a movie theater turns into an unforgettable romance — until destiny pulls them apart.

Just watched it. Highly recommend it. Sad ending in my opinion, but well-made and great eye candy.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched it twice.

IMO the appeal of the movie deserves to be recognized.

The actors are quite handsome.

The nudity is honest and beautiful, not to mention erotic.

+++++SPOILERS+++++++

The idea is accessible to a lot of men how, during their college days, male friends fall in lust and even love, and how that is never forgotten, even though college "buddies" find separate paths, often marrying a woman.  

The movie is so beautifully shot, entirely in Rome.  

Folks frown at the sad ending, yet I would remind how the director does show us what might have been, the movie's theme of time and space of life's map by chance could have allowed the end scene, Enea and Pietros' joyful meeting at the pizza shop.  To me that was similar to Name Engraved Herein ending.  A happy idea.

The theme of hiding secrets and also the theme of ignoring friend's issues, in this movie it was  Enea's gal pals, felt a bit lukewarm.  But no biggie.  I did wonder if it all made the most sense,  as written in Italian.

I might watch Nuovo Olimpo again sometime. 

Alvise Rigo plays Antonio.

spacer.png

Edited by TonyDown

just finished it (English dubbing and subtitles) after reading about it here in the subforum......as Tony said above, the Rome scenery is fantastic.......smooth, clean Italian movie with none of the melodramatic fluff and overwrought crap of many American movies.....the two leads plus Antonio are exceedingly good-looking (full nudity of the two leads and Antonio's butt for those keeping score at home!).......though really not much more than another "lost love" flick, it's still just a fun watch with the scenery, secondary characters, and with the classic Italian-style of movie making.....the final slow panning scene to an earlier dinner date that never happened was nice.......

13 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

just finished it (English dubbing and subtitles) after reading about it here in the subforum......as Tony said above, the Rome scenery is fantastic.......smooth, clean Italian movie with none of the melodramatic fluff and overwrought crap of many American movies.....the two leads plus Antonio are exceedingly good-looking (full nudity of the two leads and Antonio's butt for those keeping score at home!).......though really not much more than another "lost love" flick, it's still just a fun watch with the scenery, secondary characters, and with the classic Italian-style of movie making.....the final slow panning scene to an earlier dinner date that never happened was nice.......

If keeping score, is it fair to say the two leads are naturally well endowed?  😄

The director did not let that opportunity escape the camera!

The director of "Nuovo Olimpo" is Ferzan Ozpetek, Turkish Italian, who has directed many other good films:  Hamam (Steam: The Turkish Bath); Saturn in Opposition; Le Fate Ignoranti; le dea fortuna; he also directed  Le Fate ignoranti (The ignorant angels) as a TV series (Hulu) (not a full filmography). Most have a gay or bisexual theme in them; either in Italian or Turkish - but assuming most of them have been dubbed into English by now, for the subtitle-challenged viewers.  Will be viewing "Nuovo Olimpo" this weekend and look forward to his newest work.   If you do get a chance to view some of his earlier works, you'll notice he uses certain actors/actresses in multiple movies.  

I enjoyed the ending. In the hospital, Pietro realized that Enea was surrounded by people who truly loved him. Thus, he resisted his own desire for Enea in the final farewell scene to prevent something that might disrupt or complicate Enea’s life. The initial disappointment on Enea’s face, along with Pietro’s quick moment of regret after Enea left, was a nod to the audience’s desire for a more conventionally romantic ending. But ultimately, Pietro’s decision to let Enea go was an act of love.

So again, I enjoyed the ending.

I was a bit confused, however, by Titti’s role in the latter part of the film. I didn’t get why Enea would be haunted by her.

A big thank you to @soloyo215 and all contributors to this thread because I made it a point to watch Nuovo Olimpo out of the countless items on my endless Netflix watch list thanks to all the enthusiastic recommendations here.  I doubt I would have gotten around to it if I were left to my own devices.

Wow, what a beautiful film:  beautiful leads, beautiful Rome, and a beautiful (albeit bittersweet) ending.  I started watching it a week ago but didn't get very far because I was so distracted by Enea & Pietro.  Who da heck can read subtitles with such gorgeous men on screen?!  With more focus and determination this time, I got into the groove of the subtitles and immersed myself in the tale, a simple story beautifully told.

On 12/3/2023 at 8:49 PM, CheckCar said:

I enjoyed the ending. In the hospital, Pietro realized that Enea was surrounded by people who truly loved him. Thus, he resisted his own desire for Enea in the final farewell scene to prevent something that might disrupt or complicate Enea’s life. The initial disappointment on Enea’s face, along with Pietro’s quick moment of regret after Enea left, was a nod to the audience’s desire for a more conventionally romantic ending. But ultimately, Pietro’s decision to let Enea go was an act of love.

So again, I enjoyed the ending.

I was a bit confused, however, by Titti’s role in the latter part of the film. I didn’t get why Enea would be haunted by her.

* * * * * * * * SPOILER ALERT * * * * * * * *

Birds of a feather, by that I'm referring to Pietro's wife Giulia, when she tells Pietro to go after Enea.  All her life, she wanted Pietro to look at her the way Pietro looked at Enea during the dinner party.  When she tells him to go, it is her act of love for Pietro, the husband who could never love her, at least not the way she wanted.  No anger, no bitterness, no woman-scorned nastiness, she tells Pietro to go because that's what he needs to do.  The scene really touched me.

I watched the entire film only once (so far), but I've watched the last few minutes a few times: from the end of the dinner party, when Enea explains why the two lovers in his movie never met up again, to the pizza date that never was.  When I do rewatch the whole thing, I'll try to figure out the why Enea sees Titti's ghost.  I have a theory, but I really need to watch it again to be sure.

On 12/6/2023 at 11:21 PM, BSR said:

* * * * * * * * SPOILER ALERT * * * * * * * *

I watched the entire film only once (so far), but I've watched the last few minutes a few times: from the end of the dinner party, when Enea explains why the two lovers in his movie never met up again, to the pizza date that never was. 

I’ve rewatched that same portion of the film as well, several times! Actually, I start at the beginning of the dinner scene, when Enea and Pietro are finally face-to-face again. The looks that they give each other simultaneously melt and break my heart.