An American Jailed in Dubai

Lazarus

I’m sure there is more to this story.

The article doesn’t make much sense. At first it was a 10 hour layover, then they weren’t supposed to be there for more than 6 hours. She claims over $50,000 in hotel costs and legal expenses in "expensive" Dubai. I’m not buying it. Yes, parts of Dubai are insanely expensive, but there are tons of options that are dirt cheap. She says she  'gently' touched one of the female customs officer's arm. That doesn’t pass the smell test. These guards aren’t looking for trouble. Especially with foreign tourists in transit. 

"Elizabeth faced degrading, painful and humiliating searches". Come on. They simply asked her to remove a medical brace with internal wires (that I’m sure looked a lot like a suicide bomb on the scanner) in front of a female security guard. There is nothing degrading, painful, or humiliating about that.

"….she will only be detained until she can book a flight out of the UAE." That takes all of 5 minutes to accomplish. Again, it makes no sense. 

"Elizabeth is extremely worried that she will be detained in the notorious Al Awir prison." Drama much?

"Even if she is allowed to be deported tomorrow, she will remain in prison until then". Wait, I thought she was staying in "expensive" hotels. Which is it?

I’m guessing she’s a typical entitled American young person who mouthed off during a routine airport security search and got physical with the staff. Let me walk everyone through how to handle this, admittedly stressful, scenario:

#1 Stay calm.
#2 Answer all questions "yes, sir" or "no, sir".
#3 Avoid any confrontational stares and be as submissive as possible. 
#4 Stay still, do as you are told, and not make any sudden movements.
#5 Do not touch anyone or anything unless told to do so. 
#6 Remember, you are in a foreign country. They can and will fuck you up. 
#7 See #1.

Every parent needs to teach their children these basic survival skills. 

And for Christs sake, don’t have "cheap surgery" performed in Third world countries. Do you REALLY want "cheap surgery"? Think about it. 

This whole story is lopsided. Let's first hear the WHOLE thing.

Daily Mail as a source? Yeah... Sure. 

Like NYC said, this was likely another case of an entitled American who had zero clue when it came to custom and behavior in other countries. 

I can't feel bad for really fucking dumb people.who do dumb things and tempt fate.  

Well now we heard her version. There's more to it.  Sounds like she was on a body sculpting vacation from her part-time studies as a husband seeker at Lehman Arts & Crafts U.   You don't mess with airport security in the Middle East.  You do exactly what they tell you and don't sass them.  Especially if you're American.  They don't like Americans. And they don't respect American women.  Her "gentle push" was probably an angry shove.   The young have learned how to spin the truth just like an old politician. 

7 hours ago, soloyo215 said:

I'm with all of you. Not sure I buy it. Seems more like an attempt at celebrity victimhood.

Please don't start repeating that phrase someone already owns it in this forum. 

16 hours ago, augustus said:

Well now we heard her version. There's more to it.  Sounds like she was on a body sculpting vacation from her part-time studies as a husband seeker at Lehman Arts & Crafts U.   You don't mess with airport security in the Middle East.  You do exactly what they tell you and don't sass them.  Especially if you're American.  They don't like Americans. And they don't respect American women.  Her "gentle push" was probably an angry shove.   The young have learned how to spin the truth just like an old politician. 

Don't mess with airport security, TSA, flight attendants ANYWHERE in the word, specially in the USA. I remember when it was common for folks to go after them as a badge of honor. 

Husband seeking at 21? 

19 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

This whole story is lopsided. Let's first hear the WHOLE thing.

Daily Mail as a source? Yeah... Sure. 

Like NYC said, this was likely another case of an entitled American who had zero clue when it came to custom and behavior in other countries. 

I can't feel bad for really fucking dumb people.who do dumb things and tempt fate.  

Reminds me of American swimmers misbehaving in Rio, claiming they got robbed, etc.

She doesn't look like the ugly American but certainly sounds entitled..

tourists_2_large.jpg?v=1538150875

Besides I wouldn't recommend ANY young woman to go to that part of the world unless she wants to be seen as a 2nd class human, be exposed to harm and have no rights! 

Apparently she has been freed. But,The Daily Mail as a source could be making this up. 🙄

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Elizabeth Polanco De Los Santos, a 21-year-old New York college student, is said to be ecstatic to be...

5 hours ago, Lazarus said:

Apparently she has been freed.

Most likely, they just got tired of listening to her whining and entitled American ass. 

That actually happened to a Mexican friend who was kidnapped.
The family didn’t really want her loudmouth ass back,
and the kidnappers couldn’t stand her,
so they just released her without getting any ransom.

None of us who knew her were surprised…..lol