I was accused of rape because I'm a conspiracy theorist, Russell Brand

marylander1940

3 hours ago, KensingtonHomo said:

Watching a bunch of gay men claim women are destroying the careers of men (I can count on one hand the number who’ve faced real consequences) is just gross. 

Some of us in this thread are simply defending presumption of innocence.  Why should being gay change one's opinion of presumption of innocence?

Edited by BSR
Typo

3 hours ago, KensingtonHomo said:

Brand’s accusers are all women he worked with where he had a lot of power. And other people are coming forward to say this was an open secret for years.

All the allegations span from 2006-13.

Yes, Brand was a star, but he became something of a pariah starting in 2013 when he noted at the GQ Awards that one of the event's sponsors previously made uniforms for the Nazis.  According to his IMDB page, his only production credit for a film was "Arthur" back in 2011.  His producer credits since then are all his own projects.  Big-time producers like Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein did wield real power in Hollywood.  When they threatened to destroy a career, women knew those two could do so.

Brand was nowhere near in the same league as Cosby & Weinstein, and whatever little power Brand once had faded significantly starting in 2013 .  Why didn't the accusers come forward a decade ago?

12 hours ago, KensingtonHomo said:

This is ridiculous. Most sexual assaults are not reported let alone prosecuted, including mine. Watching a bunch of gay men claim women are destroying the careers of men (I can count on one hand the number who’ve faced real consequences) is just gross. 

There is extensive data going back decades showing how widespread sexual harassment and assault are. 

Brand’s accusers are all women he worked with where he had a lot of power. And other people are coming forward to say this was an open secret for years. 

Thank you again for showing empathy, knowledge and common sense.

9 hours ago, BSR said:

Some of us in this thread are simply defending presumption of innocence.  Why should being gay change one's opinion of presumption of innocence?

"Innocent until proven guilty" is a legal standard, not a cultural one. The Courts and a jury, if one is involved, need to maintain a presumption of innocence; we do not. 

It's shocking that you can see all the men who got away with being predators for decades (Weinstein, Cosby, Epstein) and continue to ask why women didn't come forward sooner. What Me Too changed is that survivors feel more confident coming forward because doing so will no longer destroy their lives and careers. 

When I was sexually assaulted at 16, there wasn't much evidence left and no witnesses. The world was much more homophobic then, so what would happen if I came forward? I would have been dismissed as countless women were for most of modern history. 

11 minutes ago, soloyo215 said:

That's exactly my thought. He's now a celebrity victim.

And unfortunately, those who support him deep inside feel they're sharing his wealth, power, fame and money... 

Defending the powerful doesn't make someone powerful unless it's on twitter (X), etc. Sad but true!

Edited by marylander1940

2 hours ago, KensingtonHomo said:

"Innocent until proven guilty" is a legal standard, not a cultural one....

I would argue that in a civilized society, the people should abide by these standards as well. Otherwise we have mob rule, in which all sides aren't allowed to present the facts. Do you remember the mob mentality which resulted in the lynching of the Duke lacrosse players, although it was later proven that the accusations were false? Hopefully, at least in the US, we've moved beyond mobs with torches and pitchforks, as well as public lynchings. 

image.png.22fa72bf74df7035d019f9b731e9c229.png

image.thumb.png.5b387fb3c853c65e6c6b2fac82db608d.png

"Presumption of innocence" is a legal principal that applies to the State when prosecuting criminal matters.  That has no bearing on private companies that decide whether or not to continue their association with him based on the accusations.

I would prefer that there's accusations be followed with either criminal or civil cases to prove the allegations in court, rather than in the media.  If they are untrue, Brand can and should pursue defamation or slander cases against the accusers since he has material damages.

Conversely, these cases should be handled as quickly as possible in the courts.  The recent conviction of Danny Masterson took far too long to conclude, for example.  

9 minutes ago, DynamicUno said:

"Presumption of innocence" is a legal principal that applies to the State when prosecuting criminal matters.  That has no bearing on private companies that decide whether or not to continue their association with him based on the accusations.

I would prefer that there's accusations be followed with either criminal or civil cases to prove the allegations in court, rather than in the media.  If they are untrue, Brand can and should pursue defamation or slander cases against the accusers since he has material damages.

Conversely, these cases should be handled as quickly as possible in the courts.  The recent conviction of Danny Masterson took far too long to conclude, for example.  

Of course private companies can choose to demonetize whoever they want.  I'm arguing that it is unethical to do so based on a mere accusation.

So after the mob has destroyed your means of earning a living, your career, your reputation, basically your whole life, you're saying no big whoop because hey, you can always sue later.  But that might be too late given that the public's attention span is so very short.  Everyone will remember you as a serial rapist since according to the mob, an accusation is as good as a conviction in a court of law.  Almost no one will hear or care about your successful civil suit after the fact.

For all those cheering on mob rule, I sincerely hope that the mob never comes after you.

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

I would argue that in a civilized society, the people should abide by these standards as well. Otherwise we have mob rule, in which all sides aren't allowed to present the facts. Do you remember the mob mentality which resulted in the lynching of the Duke lacrosse players, although it was later proven that the accusations were false? Hopefully, at least in the US, we've moved beyond mobs with torches and pitchforks, as well as public lynchings. 

image.png.22fa72bf74df7035d019f9b731e9c229.png

image.thumb.png.5b387fb3c853c65e6c6b2fac82db608d.png

What a cheap shot comparing 4 women (and counting) accusing a "famous" wealthy man to a Jim Crow lynching! 

Wait he's not even as famous as he was back then but because of accusing him now he's famous all over again. He's a victim and a hero! 

16 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

...Wait he's not even as famous as he was back then but because of accusing him now he's famous all over again. He's a victim and a hero!

I've never heard of this man, and don't know anything about him or the accusations. I'm merely criticizing the lynch mob mentality of "Act now, find out the facts later (if ever)." The suggestion of a civil suit going after a poor person after the accused's reputation has been decimated is rather silly and not applicable to real life. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2023 at 11:17 AM, BSR said:

Of course private companies can choose to demonetize whoever they want.  I'm arguing that it is unethical to do so based on a mere accusation.

So after the mob has destroyed your means of earning a living, your career, your reputation, basically your whole life, you're saying no big whoop because hey, you can always sue later.  But that might be too late given that the public's attention span is so very short.  Everyone will remember you as a serial rapist since according to the mob, an accusation is as good as a conviction in a court of law.  Almost no one will hear or care about your successful civil suit after the fact.

For all those cheering on mob rule, I sincerely hope that the mob never comes after you.

Mob? Are you referring to be mob who chanted slurs to immigrants and later laughed at "Kung-Flu" and "China-Flu"? The laughter was followed by physical attacks while yelling "go home". 

One of my nieces is a schoolteacher, nowadays children watch on TV speeches where a public figure is called "gutless pig" and "fat pig". The next day kids say the same to those they perceive as overweight children. 

1280px-Poem_by_Martin_Niemoeller_at_the_

I've never been on the side of the mob, the mob thrives on complicity. Those brave women are finally coming out, as you can imagine it wasn't his first time raping, touching, molesting, etc.