Doxy PEP Offers Alternative To Condoms

TruthBTold

Anyone taking Doxy-PEP or know much about it?  I had never heard of it and my doctor threw it out at my appointment today for me to consider.  Supposedly you take it within 72 hours of having condomless sex to prevent the 3 STDs (gonorrhea, syphilis, & chlamydia).  I only occasionally have bareback sex.  No judgement in that statement to others that have it more often and no invitation for judgement on having bareback sex.   Just saying that I would only did Doxy-PEP occasionally.   Interested in hearing your opinions on Doxy-PEP not on bareback sex.

My doctor prescribed it for me and I use it after after sexual encounters. It's not 100% effective, but does very well at 85% and should protect against oral exposure, even if there's intercourse with condoms.

My doctor explained that you can't continually take it, so he doesn't prescribe it for people who are hooking up 7 days a week.

And, from what I understand, the thesis is that it will reduce overall transmission and thus its prevalence. There's more information here:

WWW.UCSF.EDU

A short course of antibiotics, Doxy-PEP, can prevent some STIs after condomless sex.

You might note:

"Doxy-Pep is an option to reduce the risk of syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia for transwomen as well as gay, bisexual or other men who have sex with men and who have had at least one of these STIs in the past 12 months."

I've never had one of these STIs, but my doctor still recommended it for me anyway.

Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, Your Man in Arlington said:

My doctor prescribed it for me and I use it after after sexual encounters. It's not 100% effective, but does very well at 85% and should protect against oral exposure, even if there's intercourse with condoms.

My doctor explained that you can't continually take it, so he doesn't prescribe it for people who are hooking up 7 days a week.

And, from what I understand, the thesis is that it will reduce overall transmission and thus its prevalence. There's more information here:

WWW.UCSF.EDU

A short course of antibiotics, Doxy-PEP, can prevent some STIs after condomless sex.You might note:

"Doxy-Pep is an option to reduce the risk of syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia for transwomen as well as gay, bisexual or other men who have sex with men and who have had at least one of these STIs in the past 12 months."

I've never had one of these STIs, but my doctor still recommended it for me anyway.

Hope this helps!

Effectiveness isn’t necessarily related to STI history outside of possible antimicrobial resistance factors. That aspect is simply imported into the recommendations because recent STI history predicts subsequent STI incidence and research subjects exclusively with recent STI history were recruited so that enough infections would occur quickly enough for statistical analysis. The specifics of the study population later govern the medication guidance. As you can see from the article, the off of off-label can be further. 

Edited by SirBillybob

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2023 at 1:41 PM, TruthBTold said:

It looks as if they are beginning to study the possibility of not wearing condoms during sex and not worrying totally about acquiring STDs.  They are (at least in the Lancet) still worrying about some unintended side effects.  We shall see.  And I am interpreting it to mean this is why the non-condom wearer is either on PrEP or on 2-1-1 PrEP.  Here's hoping.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2023/07/24/doxypep-std-sti-prevention

These medications were developed as an added layer to safe sex practices, and were never intended to replace them. 

These meds also aren’t intended for lifetime use either… 

So the idea of having a permanent prescription for these and being an extreme “sex positive” barebacking/felching cum dumpster (or depositor), won’t be sustainable in the long run. 

Aside from my earlier post, I completely understand that most guys now are “anti-condom”, which is a reality. 

I just had an idea: 

I would love to see medical organizations partner with advocacy groups and conduct a study, where for at least one year, at all gay-themed, circuit events, Prep, DoxyPrEP, and the “Peanut Butter Shot” are all administered as part of registration and entry. 

Then monitor the numbers for STD transmission rates following. 

I think this would have a good impact. 

21 hours ago, Monarchy79 said:

Aside from my earlier post, I completely understand that most guys now are “anti-condom”, which is a reality. 

I just had an idea: 

I would love to see medical organizations partner with advocacy groups and conduct a study, where for at least one year, at all gay-themed, circuit events, Prep, DoxyPrEP, and the “Peanut Butter Shot” are all administered as part of registration and entry. 

Then monitor the numbers for STD transmission rates following. 

I think this would have a good impact. 

Sidebar:

Gay circuit events still exist?  Hell...  Who goes to these kinds of things?  Did the younger gay gens adopt them?

From what I remember going to a few in the mid-2000s, the music was pots-and-pans shit, the costumes ridiculous and the meth/k/x/coke flocked the multitude of crackheads like the swallows of Capistrano.

1 hour ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Sidebar:

Gay circuit events still exist?  Hell...  Who goes to these kinds of things?  Did the younger gay gens adopt them?

From what I remember going to a few in the mid-2000s, the music was pots-and-pans shit, the costumes ridiculous and the meth/k/x/coke flocked the multitude of crackheads like the swallows of Capistrano.

That was one of the best descriptions of circuit events. Ever. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2024 at 12:12 AM, BenjaminNicholas said:

Sidebar:

Come on. You know better. Atlantis cruise anyone? I’m sure you have friends or friends of friends who went on it. 

15 hours ago, LookingAround said:

Come on. You know better. Atlantis cruise anyone? I’m sure you have friends or friends of friends who went on it. 

Atlantis is a whole different animal. 

It's a week long, you can't escape.  You can't bribe a crew member to let you use a tinder to get away. 

I say this from personal experience.