Air Quality Monitoring

FrankR

It looks like the Canadian wildfires will impact the air quality here in the USA again this week. 

Are you aware of a reliable website that provide accurate air quality ratings and forecasts?

I have googled a bit, but some of the ones showing up at the top of the list seems a little sketchy. 

The Air Quality Management District (AQMD) keeps a close eye on things here in SoCal. I am on their email list, so I know when we have “no burn“ days when wood cannot be burned. I have a neighbor that turns me in if I use my smoker, or even my BBQ on no burn days. I receive wildfire smoke alerts and other air quality alerts them them as well:

The South Coast AQMD has issued a new air quality advisory.

High Ozone Alert

airnow.gov is definitely not sketchy.

Nor is purpleair.com, though the problem with the latter is that there are usually some people whose devices are clearly not working properly.  For example, there might be a stray reading that indicates there air quality is good when all of the surrounding devices are accurately showing poor air quality.  When you limit the results to outdoor only readers and look at a reasonably sized area, though, it's easy to ignore those outliers.