Netflix crackdown on free loaders! Are you paying for someone else?

marylander1940

hero-image.fill.size_1200x675.v168489419
MASHABLE.COM

You can still share your account outside your household, but it will cost you.

OP note: more than a crackdown is a purge on freeloaders, I'm surprised it has taken so long for technology to figure it out how to do it?

Not sure if this belongs here or in the "streaming" are which is more about specific movies and series. Feel free to report it and have it removed if needed!

They didn't crack down before because they encouraged sharing. HBO came out and explicitly said their content is so strong they wanted people to share as a large % of those people would turn into paying customers. It's a good business decision. 

I think that Netflix now believes they have enough critical mass to force the people who shared to sign up on their own because their content is good. I do know they won't lose many paying customers over the crackdown -- the main account owner will continue to subscribe -- but will likely gain many of the people who lose access.  All we need is about one or two quarters to find out. The subscriber numbers won't lie. I

It's all upside for the streaming services at this point as long as they keep putting out awesome content, which they are. There has never been better television in history than what we have today.  (*except news, dear lord not news, lol) 

Edited by ThroatCummer

19 hours ago, augustus said:

I'm pissed that they are stopping the DVD envelopes in September.

yup, I've been a loyal Netflix DVD subscriber for many years (yes, I have the streaming, too....not a complete Luddite here!)......

I've jammed up my queue with whatever DVDs that interest me that are still available to watch before September......many will be repeat viewings......

thinking about what I'll do with the $9/mo savings after September.....I've already made a dress out of the envelopes

IMG_8897.jpg?format=500w

Edited by azdr0710

• 10 months later...
On 5/29/2023 at 1:51 AM, samhexum said:

No, somebody else is paying for me.

3 hours ago, APPLE1 said:

I would be fine not sharing my password, IF I were paying a fee to stream on 1 device at a time. Since I am paying to stream on 2 devices at a time, it shouldn't matter if that 2nd device is in my house or 20 miles down the road.

or at your brother's house in another county, 25ish miles away (hypothetically, of course).

If you are inclined to share a Netflix password, or watch Prime (and Freevee) commercial free, both things can be done with with a 1st Gen AppleTV. My assumption about why it works is that the tech is so old, companies aren't updating the devices. Both of the interfaces are a little old in terms of migrating around them, but if you have one laying in the junk drawer, and you have an open HDMI port...

Edited by APPLE1
Clarity