Rijksmuseum

cany10011

Enjoying a lovely spring weekend in Amsterdam. Came here Friday to see the Vermeer exhibit with 2 friends from NYC. Of course, we are lucky as New Yorkers to have so many Vermeers in the Met and Frick, as well as several at the National Gallery. What a treat to see so many Vermeers in one show. If one goes, be sure to go to Delft to visit Prinsenhof, which has a special exhibit on the life of Vermeer…gives a good background into the life of the master.

Will post more about the um “other” activities elsewhere in the forum. 

Just got home from the Vermeer show. It was quite impressive. It really did live up to the insane hype. Getting a chance to see them one right after the other made even the old "familiar" NYC Vermeers seem fresh and new. Lots of subtleties I had never fully appreciated before and several works I had never been able to see in person in the past. 

Of course, now I’m on a mission to see all 37 known Vermeers. I’m only 3 shy. The one stolen from the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum seems like a lost cause, but that leaves two more. One visit to Buckingham palace (my last two attempts were foiled by the Queens death and then the upcoming coronation) and a quick trip to some small German town, and I should be done. Wish me luck!