Income to hire regularly

2 hours ago, MscleLovr said:

I congratulate you on being thrifty @Welshman. If you’ll permit me an observation, how is it that you spend so little on food? Do you follow quite a strict diet? I’m fit and healthy, but I spend far more on food as I regard good nutrition as very important. 

Two reasons, firstly I am around 80lbs overweight (based on the discredited BMI scale which is the only scale that the British health service use), although that I as was 93lbs overweight before Christmas and secondly, as I suffer / have ASD my diet is restricted anyway (for instance don't mind vegetables if chopped into very small pieces and hidden inside things that vegetable burgers but cannot stand the vegetable myself) 

57 minutes ago, Welshman said:

Two reasons, firstly I am around 80lbs overweight (based on the discredited BMI scale which is the only scale that the British health service use), although that I as was 93lbs overweight before Christmas and secondly, as I suffer / have ASD my diet is restricted anyway (for instance don't mind vegetables if chopped into very small pieces and hidden inside things that vegetable burgers but cannot stand the vegetable myself) 

Congrats on the recent weight loss!  But that’s amazing, $201 a month wouldn’t even get you “dollar pizza” (which is now usually $1.50 for a small slice) in NYC.  

Just now, pubic_assistance said:

🤔Where the hell do YOU live ? In NYC I sometimes spend $200 a DAY

EXACTLY!!  I won’t go too much into my personal/financial situation, but I provide food (encompassing groceries, takeout, etc) for the equivalent of three people (not including myself) in lieu of paying rent.  The food costs more than rent would.

4 hours ago, ShortCutie7 said:

Congrats on the recent weight loss!  But that’s amazing, $201 a month wouldn’t even get you “dollar pizza” (which is now usually $1.50 for a small slice) in NYC.  

I shall bear that in mind I say, I would like to attend a meeting in the United States next year and therefore may experience a culture shock with regard to prices.

I did a casual google search for what percent of income can one allow for entertainment.

Up to to 10% of net income for all entertainment came up multiple times.  For a $1000 allotment for entertainment per month, that’s from a net yearly income of $120,000.  I’d be inclined to halve the allotment to $500 per month in order to allow for other entertainment, with the understanding that this hobby is being prioritized.

These calculations at least provide a starting point.

I like to follow and recommend the 50/30/20 rule for working folks.  50% of net income goes to needs, 30% of net income goes to wants, and 20% of net income goes to savings/investing.

Right now I spend 25% of my net income on leisure travel (a want), so that only leaves 5% for all other entertainment.

Edited by Vegas_Millennial
Changed gross to net

11 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

Well...not a third world country...so I assume you grow all your own fruits and vegetables and don't eat meat.

It is true that I do not eat meat (as in put a turkey or chicken on my plate and I will baulk at the idea, but sliced meat in thin slices, not a problem at all), as for growing all my own fruit and veg, hardly.