Over the counter hearing aids

foxy

Recently I decided to have my hearing tested. I was told I had some loss, not serious, but could benefit from a hearing aid. I was also told that in my case one of the over the counter hearing aids would be sufficient. I haven’t done anything about it yet but wondering if anyone here has tried one and how you went about it. Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

I second the Costco rec.  I understand they no longer offer their popular house-brand Kirkland Signature, but they do still offer several other name brands at steep discounts.  And the test is free! The new availability of OTC hearing aids will rock the industry, and likely Costco's marketing will change, but for now I think it's the best deal out there for prescription aids.

Two caveats about Costco that snagged me last summer when I joined just to get the hearing aids. 

One, they are out of network for insurance purposes. If you have coverage for hearing aids, as I do, you may run into an unmet out of network deductible, as I did.  My mistake, but I was OOP an unexpected $600 to satisfy that deductible.

Second is that Costco accepts Visa cards only.  If you shop there regularly you know that, but I don't and was planning on a nice cash back rebate from another card that wasn't possible.

On 4/6/2023 at 5:35 AM, foxy said:

Recently I decided to have my hearing tested. I was told I had some loss, not serious, but could benefit from a hearing aid. I was also told that in my case one of the over the counter hearing aids would be sufficient. I haven’t done anything about it yet but wondering if anyone here has tried one and how you went about it. Thanks. 

I worked in the hearing aid industry for a few years . Audiologists and dispensers nearly always recommend binaural hearing aids - meaning hearing aids for both ears, even if one  ear doesn't require amplication.  Sound quality and the ability to discern sounds in noisy crowded environments is improved a lot.  When I was in the industry, they didn't yet have hearing aids that could talk to each other  and exchange data, which is a huge breakthrough in the ability to provide an amplified signal that mimics our natural perception of sound more closely.