Sicily

Rod Hagen

Haven't been, but I understand that the Mediterranean retains its warmth through late Fall most years.  If you like swimming then it's better to go in the Fall than in the Spring.  The harvests are also being brought in during early Fall, so it is also one of the best times for food.  I don't know of any places to stay, but the Four Seasons hotel that serves as the backdrop for season two of The White Lotus (San Domenico Hotel, Taormina) apparently has rooms that start around $1000 USD I think.  Too rich for my blood, but it looks amazing.

8 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

... the Four Seasons hotel that serves as the backdrop for season two of The White Lotus (San Domenico Hotel, Taormina)

The problem with now staying there is that it's overrun with people who love the show.  For the next few years, it's not going to be the quiet, idyll that it used to be.  

And as soon as the show debuted, they upped their rates 20%.  Can't blame them, but it's really not worth $1k+ a night.

One of my bests friends and I did a 12-day tour around Sicily several years ago. You're right that October is the best time if you want to swim. We went in April, when the temperatures are pleasant, but the water temperature not fit for swimming. We hit Palermo, Monreale, Segesta, Erice, Selinunte, Agrigento/Valle Dei Templi, Villa Romana del Casale, Caltagirone, Ragusa, Noto, Siracusa, Catania, Mount Etna, Taormina, and Cefalu. We didn't have time for side-trips, but if we'd had a couple of extra days would have loved to visit Vulcano or Stromboli. Caltagirone is known for it Maiolica, and these are sold by shops which line the steps of the staircase up to Santa Maria del Monte. It's good to be aware, that the prices drop the higher you go up those stairs. 😅

Best of Sicily: Shopping for Ceramics in Caltagirone | ITALY Magazine

Caltagirone, Sicily | Visit italy, Italy, Italy photography

Edited by Unicorn

1 hour ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

The problem with now staying there is that it's overrun with people who love the show.  For the next few years, it's not going to be the quiet, idyll that it used to be.  

And as soon as the show debuted, they upped their rates 20%.  Can't blame them, but it's really not worth $1k+ a night.

Yeah, I heard that too.  My tastes are pretty simple.  I couldn't imagine spending $1000 a night for a hotel, but I know many people do.  Given the choice I'd rather spend less on the hotel and put the difference into food experiences, but I suppose people spending $1000 a night for accommodation aren't too worried about their travel budgets!

Well, if time is limited, I would agree that Taormina, Etna (if open), and Siracusa are the most essential. You can fly directly into Catania from Rome. But you won't know Sicily in depth. 

On 3/28/2023 at 7:29 PM, Unicorn said:

Taormina

Taormina travel guide: attractions & things to do in Taormina Sicily -  ItalyGuides.it

Visit Taormina: 2023 Travel Guide for Taormina, Sicily | Expedia

Taormina was my favorite destination in Sicily. So charming. I was marveling at the fact that the shops and restaurants didn't seem to include one single international chain. So unusual to find a tourist destination these days without an infestation of Corporate branding.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all you helpful people.  It was a hard decision, but because I haven't been to Rome in decades, and I don't know when again I will I split the trip between Sicily and Rome, and only have 8 nights in Sicily.  We land in Catania (4pm) and 8 days later fly out of Palermo (12pm)  So, to make the most of the time on the island it doesn't really makes sense to drove to Palermo that first night, does it?  Would you drive to Taromina or Syracuse that night?  Or just stay in Catania?  I want to stay somewhere from which we can see the most but is still interesting in it's own way those first few days.  Where should that be?  Eventually, we'll make our way to Palermo for several nights and sight see the other side of the island from there.  Thanks again for MORE help.

I know we are not going to really see Sicily in just 8 days, but, you know, Rome!

• 3 months later...