Is A Fancy Watch A Good Investment

It's a fact that watches are used less and less as people now carry cell phones with the exact time. I have never had an interest in owning a fancy watch, but I saw one advertised in the WSJ Style Magazine yesterday and love it. It's the Panerai Radiomir as pictured in my attachment.

Turns out the watch costs almost $5000, and I guess that the strap is an extra $400 or so. But, if it keeps its value, then it's not a purchase but an investment. As already stated, there is less interest in watches today, but classic watches may still have a following. And, of course, if anyone here would like to gift me this watch, I would certainly appreciate it.

And, if not, a trip to Thailand might find me at the Night Market, sporting a replica of just the watch I want! Who would know the difference?

TheWallStreetJournalMagazine_20230310_039_1.pdf

8 minutes ago, Lucky said:

It's a fact that watches are used less and less as people now carry cell phones with the exact time. I have never had an interest in owning a fancy watch, but I saw one advertised in the WSJ Style Magazine yesterday and love it. It's the Panerai Radiomir as pictured in my attachment.

Turns out the watch costs almost $5000, and I guess that the strap is an extra $400 or so. But, if it keeps its value, then it's not a purchase but an investment. As already stated, there is less interest in watches today, but classic watches may still have a following. And, of course, if anyone here would like to gift me this watch, I would certainly appreciate it.

And, if not, a trip to Thailand might find me at the Night Market, sporting a replica of just the watch I want! Who would know the difference?

TheWallStreetJournalMagazine_20230310_039_1.pdf 1.04 MB · 1 download

I tell my friends that a watch is a toy. It doesnt generate a cashflow. Could they end up in a position where the toy can be sold later for more than they paid for it? Sure. But would I call it an investment? No. 

9 minutes ago, Lucky said:

it keeps its value, then it's not a purchase but an investment

One of my clients is a high-end jeweler .

He would explain that $5,000 is NOT a "fancy" watch.

The heritage pieces that retain value ( or increase in value ) are priced at more than $20K

Many people will go out and buy a Rolex when they want to invest in a fancy watch. While my client-jeweler refers to them as white-trash-bracelets.

To answer the question…..no, it’s not a good "investment".
Jewelry almost never is. And yes, a watch is jewelry.
Now so, more than ever. 

20 hours ago, Lucky said:

Who would know the difference?

You would. 

If you can’t afford the real thing find something real that you can afford. 
Cheap is cheap and fake is fake. 

So I guess that high end jeweler loses out when people buy a $5000 watch instead of his $20,000 watches. Or is he just a snob?

A $100 dollar investment in early Google would still have been an investment.

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

So I guess that high end jeweler loses out when people buy a $5000 watch instead of his $20,000 watches. Or is he just a snob?

A $100 dollar investment in early Google would still have been an investment.

HIS watches are far more expensive than $ 20K.

I don't think he has any interest in competing with Macy's ..so no. He clearly doesn't care about the rest of the market place.

Edited by pubic_assistance
grammar

I’ve always had a “thing” for watches. In my family, for boys at least, it was kind of a “right of passage” getting your first wristwatch. I still have my first - I was given it for my First Communion. It wasn’t fancy at all - a simple black leather strap, silver faced watch - I think it was a Bulova, but definitely child sized, (do they even make them like that anymore?). Thereafter, a watch was considered the appropriate gift for milestones - graduations, certain birthdays, etc.. 

I’ve also inherited a few, which are both the oldest, and the priciest ones I own. Two favourites that I rarely get the chance to wear are my great grandfather’s Patek rose gold pocket watch -it was supposedly a wedding gift, if so, that dates it from 1887; and my great uncle’s Breguet -he stayed in Europe after the First World War, so this one is from the early 1920’s, very funky face with moon movements and all. 

Through the years I’ve treated myself too - but my collection ranges from inexpensive, to “what were you thinking?!” in terms of price. It’s the look of the watch that gets my interest, not the brand. 

Back in the olden days when we were still suited n’ booted in the office 5 days a week, I did enjoy mixing up the watches daily, depending on what I was wearing, who I was meeting, etc.. Now, my everyday watch goes back, and forth between an old Tag, and an equally old Locman. I’ll still break out some of the fancy ones as occasions warrant - weddings, christenings, even funerals. 

BBD