Calling all cars! Calling all cars! Be on the look out...

samhexum

Coyote found wandering in Floral Park: NYPD

coyote
Police were alerted by residents who discovered a coyote in their backyards 

Police from the 105th Precinct in Queens Village were alerted by Floral Park residents who discovered a coyote skulking around in their backyards Wednesday morning, March 8.

This morning, NCOs assigned to Sector Eddie were alerted by residents of this individual wanted for the attempted kidnapping of The Road Runner. With help from our friends in ESU, the individual was taken into custody without incident. @NYPDQueensSouth @NYPDSpecialops pic.twitter.com/TTp0pfVGG0

— NYPD 105th Precinct (@NYPD105Pct) March 8, 2023
Emergency Services Units responded to the scene and took the coyote into custody without incident, police said. The coyote was taken to an animal shelter on Long Island.

“All Roadrunners can safely resume their regularly scheduled programming,” NYPD Special Ops wrote on their Twitter account.

The coyote was not charged with trespassing.

other residents told police they tawt they taw a puddy tat.

Fqt551nWYCMG3dw.jpg 

https://qns.com/2023/03/coyote-floral-park/

I'm surprised that they're that rare that it makes the news in Long Island. We see them here in Los Angeles all of the time. Cougar sightings in the neighborhoods are more newsworthy. Coyotes are one of the reasons I'd never leave our little Frenchie outside without supervision (especially at night). Cougars, of course, are another. Maybe golden eagles. Are coyotes really that rare in Long Island? 

On 3/9/2023 at 9:33 PM, Unicorn said:

I'm surprised that they're that rare that it makes the news in Long Island. We see them here in Los Angeles all of the time. 

Key difference: Southern California has canyons, mountains, and hills where all sorts of wildlife thrive and few people live. 

Queens Village is just 72 feet above sea level and quite flat, residential, and densely populated.

4 hours ago, Unicorn said:

I was wondering why residents of Floral Park were calling the NYPD in Queens Village, when Wikipedia says they have their own police department. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floral_Park,_New_York

"The Village of Floral Park has its own Police Department, which is made up of an Operations and Administration division."

And as you would no doubt have discovered in answer to your musings, there is a district of Floral Park that is in the New York City borough of Queens and not part of the incorporated village of Floral Park, in Nassau County. That is not to guarantee that the caller was a resident of the village and so should not have called the NYPD.

Of course, for those who are wondering, Nassau County should not be confused with the city of Nassau which is in an entirely separate country.

• 6 months later...
On 3/8/2023 at 9:36 PM, sync said:

Don't put me on patrol.  I would've presumed a German Shepard.   

On 3/10/2023 at 12:33 AM, Unicorn said:

I'm surprised that they're that rare that it makes the news in Long Island. We see them here in Los Angeles all of the time.  Are coyotes really that rare in Long Island? 

On 3/11/2023 at 12:52 PM, Marc in Calif said:

Key difference: Southern California has canyons, mountains, and hills where all sorts of wildlife thrive and few people live. 

Queens Village is just 72 feet above sea level and quite flat, residential, and densely populated.

Coyotes have ‘expanded their turf’ in NYC with spike in sightings

Coyotes are increasingly roaming the Big Apple, according to a report.

The animals have “expanded their turf” throughout much of New York City, with several sightings of the four-legged friends recently in Claremont Park in the Bronx.

Plenty of food and space make the city hospitable for coyotes, who now live in every borough except Brooklyn, officials told Pix 11 news.

Sightings surged in 2019, when a coyote was spotted in Central Park and even charged at a person.

Earlier this year, a coyote took a leisurely morning stroll through Queens and a month later, one was rescued from the East River.

Officials said sightings are more likely this time of year because the sun is setting earlier.

Coyotes are generally more active at night.

They are usually not dangerous and try to avoid people, but should be reported to Wildlife NYC if seen.

Wile E. & Roadrunner.jpg

beckoning finger.gif

Big Goofy Smiley.gif

improper use of internet technology.gif