Is there a search option?

SometimesBi

Sometimes the search function just doesn't work.  Yesterday I searched for Mysterious Skin and it told me there were no results.  Then I searched for skin and it told me that there were no results for that word on this site.

Today there are multiple results for Mysterious Skin.

Context is VERY important.  If you start a search within a topic, the default behavior is to search that topic.

image.jpeg

That's what happens when you try to search while inside of this thread.  

Now...  if you happened to be elsewhere, such as the homepage...

image.jpeg

Or if you happened to be within a specific forum such as the Spa or Deli...

image.jpeg

How problematic is having the system be smart enough to know where you are and limit the results to that area?  So far, I've not seen anyone complain about it.  But if it turns out to be a major issue, I can figure out a way to just make the system search "everywhere" by default.  

If it happens again, let me know.  But given the search index has not changed at **ALL**, I'm almost willing to bet it's a context issue.  If it happens again, do that same exact search from the home page OR from the full search page https://www.companyofmen.org/search.  

On a side note...  I have fixed the issue with mobile devices not showing search context correctly.  

image.png

31 minutes ago, Midwest_Man said:

Is there a way to display search results by thread?  I thought that used to be an option but I don't see it anymore.  Thanks.

I’m not sure what you mean. If you have a thread open and you just use the search function inside it… you’ll only search that thread. 

So for example if you search for “Seattle” within this thread it would only find the one in this first post instead of the hundreds across the site. 

Sorry it wasn't clear.  I mean the results I get when I search.  It allows me to sort them by Date or Relevancy but the results still have multiple entries for the same threads.  For example if I search Vallarta the results have numerous results for the threads titled "Puerto Vallarta in January" and "Puerto Vallarta vs. Costa Rica".  Is there a way to limit that so it only shows the name of the relevant thread once?