Very cute man promotes Cambodia

certainly no expert, but, for those planning a trip, I can offer a few hints......yes, the country is very inexpensive........a travel partner and I stayed in Phnom Penh at a small average decent place (we do not need to stay at the best place in town) in a great location for about $40/night including breakfast......saw the popular Khmer Rouge torture chamber and walked the riverside (didn't have time for the "killing fields").....using Google Flights, I'd found a remarkably cheap morning flight (prop!) from PP to Siem Reap.......using suggested intel from guide books, we just walked out of the SR airport and asked a group of cabbies if one was available to be a driver and guide for Angkor Wat for the remainder of the day.....within five minutes, all was arranged for an embarrassingly low charge.....the driver/guide helped us with the admission process, had another guy he knew walk us around at one point, had us walk through one area and met us at the other end, etc.....then drove us to our hotel, also very good and inexpensive......later that evening, travel partner and I went to the party area of town (yes, a reverent place like Angkor Wat/Siem Reap has a party district) and chatted up a couple other Americans at a bar who offered us hardcore drugs.....and a young local woman with a baby in tow also chatted us up there and we quickly realized she wanted to do some business........

Edited by azdr0710

• 3 weeks later...

Siem Reap - was there for about 2 weeks on a Laos/Cambodia/Myanmar trip a few years back.  Great town - easy to get around with taxis; depending on where your hotel is - walkable; food is cheap but you can eat well and avoid the touristy places.   https://www.cuisinewatdamnak.com/siem-reap/ really great restaurant and not expensive for the meal you get (ate there twice on the trip).   The entertainment the guy had in his video was the Phare Circus  - https://pharecircus.org  recommend it as well.  My friend and I went on spur of the moment and got front row seats (section A on their grid) (not expensive).  The guys are up close, nice to look at and very talented/entertaining.  The "show" changes so not sure what story they are presenting currently.  And if you want affordable massages - there is a section of establishments downtown you can view the masseurs who are available.  If you want to do the "sun-rise" view at Angkor Wat temple - go very early.  If you are into photography - there will be wall to wall people and about 10+ people deep lining the water's edge looking at the temple (at least it was in 2017). If you like to cook - authentic cambodian (kampot)  peppercorns  (red and black) can be purchased in the supermarkets (cheaper than the tourist souvenir shop).  Have a great trip. 

• 4 weeks later...

I visited both PP and SR a few years ago.  Both are amazing cities, the food is incredible, the markets great places to shop - and the gay scene is great. 

Awesome places to stay and great massages are avail. with happy endings 

I stayed at Mens in SR they have great tour guides and tuk tuk drivers 

Highly recommend a visit 

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Lucky said:

How does that affect the tourist experience?

It's the most gay-friendly country in the old French Indochina. The only one with gay hotels, for example. To gage how gay-friendly a country is, one good way is to look at the percentage in favor of same-sex marriage. In Cambodia, it's 55% in favor, 30% opposed (rest unsure). In neighboring Vietnam, it's 34% in favor and 55% opposed. Apparently (locals told me while I was there), the king has voiced support for same-sex marriage (ultimately, it's not up to him, though). 

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

The darker the purple, the more gay-friendly:

undefined

Edited by Unicorn

On 9/14/2023 at 10:58 AM, Unicorn said:

And the country is ruled by a gay king, too. 

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norodom Sihamoni

... His parents, King-Father Norodom Sihanouk and Queen-Mother Norodom Monineath, were once questioned by journalists about Sihamoni's marital status and when he was planning to get married. In response, the Queen-Mother replied that her son "only feels Buddhist" and that "he confines himself to Buddhism." The King-Father added that because of this, his son's affection for women is akin to that of "as his sisters" and that "he dares not to make a deep relationship." This reflects Sihamoni's adherence to a monastic way of life which is underpinned by his austere piety and devotion to faith. In some respects, Sihamoni is regarded somewhat as an enigmatic figure, with the available literature pointing to a "reflective, deliberate and cultured man" who apparently had reservations in becoming King, yet in spite of this, humbly assumed the solemn responsibility of his position, whilst holding "his cards close to his chest"....

2 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

... a "reflective, deliberate and cultured man....

And he trained as a ballet dancer. In other words, gay. Everyone in Cambodia knows as much.

image.thumb.png.0ea6d8feed8c4be9d4f5d426544818e7.png

Edited by Unicorn

On 9/16/2023 at 6:42 PM, Unicorn said:

And he trained as a ballet dancer. In other words, gay. Everyone in Cambodia knows as much.

And you've clearly surveyed all Cambodians. A rumor is still a rumor until it's corroborated. 😁

Did you hear that Hugh Jackman is gay? Everyone in Australia knows as much. 

Edited by Marc in Calif

4 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

...Did you hear that Hugh Jackman is gay? Everyone in Australia knows as much. 

Yes, I have. It looks as though he got rid of his beard. Will he finally come out? And how about Shawn Mendes? At least he got rid of his beard a few years ago. HRH's sexual orientation is an open "secret." 

2 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

Thanks for taking the bait! 🤣🥳 🙃

By the power vested in me by the King of Australia, I hereby knight thee as a Master Baiter! You may rise, Sir Fartsalot!

Arise, Sir Lewis: Hamilton knighted three days after F1 title heartbreak |  Lewis Hamilton | The Guardian

11 hours ago, Unicorn said:

By the power vested in me by the King of Australia, I hereby knight thee

His Majesty the King does not vest the power to confer knighthoods on anyone, nor does he exercise the power to confer honours in Australia except on the recommendation of the federal or state governments. Almost invariably he does not confer honours himself but rather they are formally conferred by the governor-general or a state governor who have that power by right as his representatives in Australia. Knighthoods are not available under the Australian honours system (unlike Aotearoa where Jacinda Ardern was recently created a Dame). After about 30 years without them, knighthoods were briefly reinstated in 2013 and bestowed on four worthy Australians (two knights [General Sir Peter Cosgrove, the then governor-general and a former chief of the defence force, and Air Chief Marshal Sir Angus Houston, a former chief of the defence force] and two dames [Dame Quentin Bryce, the then immediate past governor-general, and Dame Marie Bashir, a former long-serving governor of New South Wales], to be precise) but the idea of them was firmly discredited when the then prime minister also bestowed a knighthood on HRH Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.

25 minutes ago, mike carey said:

...they are formally conferred by the governor-general...

You can't be 100% certain that I'm not, in fact, His Excellency the Honourable David Hurley... 😄. What's the point of maintaining the monarchy if you have no chance of being knighted in the Order of Australia?

Edited by Unicorn

7 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

You can't be 100% certain that I'm not, in fact, His Excellency the Honourable David Hurley... 😄. What's the point of maintaining the monarchy if you have no chance of being knighted in the Order of Australia?

On that I agree, republicans should insist on knighthoods, the Royal designation of things like hospitals (there are 'royal' hospitals in most cities but when the old Royal Canberra Hospital was closed some years ago the hospital that became Canberra Hospital omitted the prefix), HM Government, HM Customs, HM prisons and so on. If monarchists want to retain the link they need to accept the whole package even if it sounds anachronistic and advocates of a republic should force them to.

Now, back to the topic at hand, cute young Cambodians and whether @Marc in Calif is young, hot and sexy.