Hired a masseur last week, and today I woke up with this rash 😯 Monkeypox?

7829V

Last week, I hired a masseur and today I woke up with this rash... not sure if it's monkey pox or not. The massage was complete therapeutic, I've been hiring this guy for a few years now and he gives a great massage. Very very strong pressure, to the point that it's painful sometimes. He's not on the usual websites, I found him somewhere else, but he's good. I don't have any other symptoms besides what's shown on the pics and the rash developed only on my quads... he used a new oil blend... not sure if I had a reaction to that... ? I've an appointment this AM at Kaiser to see if it's Monkey Pox or not... I'm not vaccinated. I feel fine... no fever, no itchiness... nothing.

Pics below of the "rash"

https://i.imgur.com/wNPptsH.png

https://i.imgur.com/CukcolQ.jpeg

20 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Well....that IS what Monkeypox looks like...but there are other things that give you "pox".

Syphilis and Herpes also produce a rash of pimple-like "pox".

Your immune system is definitely not happy with something.

Good luck, hope you don't have further complications.

Thanks for the comment. I’ll update you.

I test every 2-3 months for all stds and I’ve been negative for all in the past few years. I’ve all the vaccines up to date except monkey pox. And I’m on prep too.  

1 hour ago, 7829V said:

A friend that is studying to become a dermatologist said that she thinks that is foliculitis.

I’ve no other symptoms. And it is very localized. 

That's exactly what I was going to post. Disclaimer: I'm not a medical doctor. But that looks like a classic case of folliculitis, which I also got soon after getting a massage. Wash the area with antibacterial soap, and it'll start clearing up on its own in a few days.

20 minutes ago, thedanNYC said:

That's exactly what I was going to post. Disclaimer: I'm not a medical doctor. But that looks like a classic case of folliculitis, which I also got soon after getting a massage. Wash the area with antibacterial soap, and it'll start clearing up on its own in a few days.

Thanks for the comment. Did they tell you or do you know what triggered the foliculitis? 

9 minutes ago, 7829V said:

Thanks for the comment. Did they tell you or do you know what triggered the foliculitis? 

Yes, the likeliest reason is friction from the massage on [our] furry legs + bacteria going into the follicles (from the masseur's hands, dirty sheets, etc).

In my case, I actually remember thinking that the sheets smelled a little funny and that my leg hairs were being pulled a lot.

35 minutes ago, thedanNYC said:

Yes, the likeliest reason is friction from the massage on [our] furry legs + bacteria going into the follicles (from the masseur's hands, dirty sheets, etc).

In my case, I actually remember thinking that the sheets smelled a little funny and that my leg hairs were being pulled a lot.

Thanks. Makes sense. 🙂

I went to Kaiser, and they took some swabs from the affected area. It was a little painful but not that much. They'll send the samples to the lab to test for Monkey Pox and Herpes. The MD and the Nurse took all the precautions... wearing hazmat-like suits and they brought an air filter to the room, etc. It was too much I think. They even gave me an out of work order for 2 weeks 😳 but once they get the test results back, they can change it. It'll take 2-3 days for the results to be ready they said. I did ask for vaccines and they said they don't have them. They are very difficult to come by.

The more I read about Monkey pox, the more I think I don't have it. I don't have fever, I have a lot of energy, the rash is very localized, it is not painful or itchy... etc. But I think the MD was just taking abundant precautions. They took pictures and showed them to the Infectious Disease Expert and he said that it didn't look like Mpox, becuause they are usually bigger, but he wanted to still send the samples to the lab.

They did ask about my sex life/practices.

I was worried that I was going to get the rash all over my body... face, arms, genitals, etc. But thankfully that's not the case. Only on my quads.

Now only wait for a couple of days for the results. 🤷‍♀️

... but this incident will make me stop getting massages and hooking up for a while, until I get my vaccines... and in the process I'll save some $ 😁

Also, in the future I’ll ask masseurs to wash their hands and arms thoroughly before working on my body, and if possible use my own sheets for the massage table... and another sheet to drape, if they drape.... And also I’ll take a shower after the massage....

Edited by 7829V

I just had my second shot for monkey pox and was quite easy to get here in Los Angeles . Was in the valley and unlike the first shot which was done in the shoulder they do this one in the forearm.. i think this allows for more dosages to be given out. Was nothing like the first shot where you had to wait a good 2 hrs this was relatively fast

3 hours ago, 7829V said:

I went to Kaiser, and they took some swabs from the affected area. It was a little painful but not that much. They'll send the samples to the lab to test for Monkey Pox and Herpes. The MD and the Nurse took all the precautions... wearing hazmat-like suits and they brought an air filter to the room, etc. It was too much I think. They even gave me an out of work order for 2 weeks 😳 but once they get the test results back, they can change it. It'll take 2-3 days for the results to be ready they said. I did ask for vaccines and they said they don't have them. They are very difficult to come by.

The more I read about Monkey pox, the more I think I don't have it. I don't have fever, I have a lot of energy, the rash is very localized, it is not painful or itchy... etc. But I think the MD was just taking abundant precautions. They took pictures and showed them to the Infectious Disease Expert and he said that it didn't look like Mpox, becuause they are usually bigger, but he wanted to still send the samples to the lab.

They did ask about my sex life/practices.

I was worried that I was going to get the rash all over my body... face, arms, genitals, etc. But thankfully that's not the case. Only on my quads.

Now only wait for a couple of days for the results. 🤷‍♀️

... but this incident will make me stop getting massages and hooking up for a while, until I get my vaccines... and in the process I'll save some $ 😁

Also, in the future I’ll ask masseurs to wash their hands and arms thoroughly before working on my body, and if possible use my own sheets for the massage table... and another sheet to drape, if they drape.... And also I’ll take a shower after the massage....

Good to know - Thanks. This has been my biggest fear with getting massages recently. The way monkeypox is spread, if the masseur has it or the prior client had it and the space wasn’t properly cleaned, you’re almost guaranteed to get it based on the nature of massage. 

Los Angeles here, but this California Department of Public Health website should be able to help you get a vaccination appointment scheduled.

https://myturn.ca.gov/

The first does was VERY.  HARD.  TO.  GET. a month ago.

I got the second dose last week by scheduling an appointment via this website and I was in and out in less than 20 minutes, inclusive of the 15 minute wait after the injection.

The first dose was injected in the back of my arm / tricep area but I was also given the second dose in my forearm.

Please note that it takes time for the vaccine to take effect in your system -- see attached.

Screenshot_20220731-135345_Instagram.thumb.jpg.f029a35b64d5e1cb4047a040d7529e77.jpg.39bc2ebbd09c5f106b54e14b84687486.jpg

6 hours ago, 7829V said:

I can understand them taking precautions before they examined you. But the general practitioner should've been able to ease back and give you a bit of peace of mind once he (and the ID doctor) took a look at your quads. Instead he tested for MP and herpes, and then sent you on your way to isolation? That's just ridiculous.

I bet you your legs will be better by the time the results come back because your rash is neither MP nor herpes.

14 minutes ago, thedanNYC said:

I can understand them taking precautions before they examined you. But the general practitioner should've been able to ease back and give you a bit of peace of mind once he (and the ID doctor) took a look at your quads. Instead he tested for MP and herpes, and then sent you on your way to isolation? That's just ridiculous.

I bet you your legs will be better by the time the results come back because your rash is neither MP nor herpes.

Yeah. I should have gone to the county clinic that specializes on stds. But they take at least a week before they give you an appointment. Still I’ll try to go next week for my regular std tests and I’ll ask for mpox vaccines. They are more likely to have some. 

52 minutes ago, LA90046 said:

Los Angeles here, but this California Department of Public Health website should be able to help you get a vaccination appointment scheduled.

https://myturn.ca.gov/

The first does was VERY.  HARD.  TO.  GET. a month ago.

I got the second dose last week by scheduling an appointment via this website and I was in and out in less than 20 minutes, inclusive of the 15 minute wait after the injection.

The first dose was injected in the back of my arm / tricep area but I was also given the second dose in my forearm.

Please note that it takes time for the vaccine to take effect in your system -- see attached.

Screenshot_20220731-135345_Instagram.thumb.jpg.f029a35b64d5e1cb4047a040d7529e77.jpg.39bc2ebbd09c5f106b54e14b84687486.jpg

Useful info. Thanks!!

Reminds me of the first time I thought I had an STD.  Went to the free clinic and the doctor chuckled a little as he told me I simply had folliculitis, not syphilis (my fear).  He still ran a full STD testing panel as any good doctor would when a sexually active patient presents with a concern that he has an STD, but he assured me that I simply had an ingrown hair on my penis.