Autoimmune conditions anyone?

Rudynate

Im wondering if any forum members are living with autoimmune disorders, such as RA.  I was just dx'd with polymyalgia - which is sort of RA light - stiff, sore joints, low-grade fever, no appetite, vascular inflammation.  Supposedly it will go away eventually - maybe in  a year, maybe in 3 years.    Treatment is a small daily dose of corticosteroids.   I'm in the process of figuring life out going forward. 

16 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

Im wondering if any forum members are living with autoimmune disorders, such as RA.  I was just dx'd with polymyalgia - which is sort of RA light - stiff, sore joints, low-grade fever, no appetite, vascular inflammation.  Supposedly it will go away eventually - maybe in  a year, maybe in 3 years.    Treatment is a small daily dose of corticosteroids.   I'm in the process of figuring life out going forward. 

I have RA.  Almost 30 years ago I looked like the Michelin tire character.  My entire body was inflamed.  I was on a steroid treatment at first then moved to Methotrexate, which I ended up on for 6 years.  Eventually my swelling went down and the RA was pushed in remission.  Since then I have occasional flares but am able to keep moving about.  I have to keep active every day or I ache and am stiff everywhere.     

Thank you for the information. - I'm glad you're doing well.  

A characteristic of  polymyalgia is that the response to even a small dose of corticosteroids is dramatic - my daily dose is tiny - 5mg x 3.  I have read that methotrexate is used as a fallback if the corticosteroids don't work well.    Tocilizumab is in stage II trials. 

• 1 month later...

It hasn't been generally accepted that PMR is an autoimmune disease, which is very good news for you since most autoimmune diseases are chronic to permanent, and PMR almost always goes away eventually. Treatment also costs a hell of a lot less, usually pennies a day rather than the $100,00/year+ that funds the commercials for treatments of all of those awful autoimmune disease you hear advertised on TV (RA, psoriasis, ulcerative colitis, etc.). 

I have Immune thrombocytopenia (ITP)...went into remission 30 years ago until 5 years ago after a week of heparin caused a recurrence and I ended up in an ER with a 2k platelet count which started 2 horrible years on prednisone and endless tapers trying to get adrenals back to working order.

Sorry to hear that. My father had a similar problem,  He had a nosebleed that wouldn't stop.  His doc's office told me to take him to the ER, where they found that his platelet count was nearly undetectable,  He had to have platelet transfusions and went through a long ordeal with corticosteroids.

17 hours ago, Unicorn said:

It hasn't been generally accepted that PMR is an autoimmune disease, which is very good news for you since most autoimmune diseases are chronic to permanent, and PMR almost always goes away eventually. Treatment also costs a hell of a lot less, usually pennies a day rather than the $100,00/year+ that funds the commercials for treatments of all of those awful autoimmune disease you hear advertised on TV (RA, psoriasis, ulcerative colitis, etc.). 

I'm certainly hoping it will go into remission, sooner rather than later, but my rheumatologist isn't quite as certain as you are - he says that "some people" do go into remission.

A rheumatologist said "some people"? I hope you misheard him, because he's got to know better. Almost everyone goes into remission on steroids, and in most cases it's gone without meds in a year or two, though it can persist a few years. The condition's not that rare. I had half a dozen patients with it over the years, and only one had it for over 2 years.

https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/diseases-conditions/polymyalgia-rheumatica

"For most people, PMR goes away with treatment after 1 to 2 years. You might be able to stop taking medicines after this point, but check with your provider first...."

Long-persisting symptoms are the exception, not the common situation. 

https://ard.bmj.com/content/40/1/1

"...97% of patients required corticosteroids for at least 1 year; 32% of patients still required 10 mg of prednisone or more after 1 year..."

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2022 at 2:30 PM, Unicorn said:

That is incorrect.  It is widely accepted that polymyalgia is an autoinflammatory disease.  The inflammatory response is a function of the intrinsic immune system.  And polymyalgia is commonly referred to, even in peer-reviewed literature, as an autoimmune disease.  It is true that it does not appear to be a disease of the adaptive immune system.  So, If you are going to be persnickety and insist on a narrow definition of autoimmune as being a disease of the adaptive immune system, it is not an autoimmune disease, but you seem to be out of step with the rest of the world

12 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

That is incorrect.  It is widely accepted that polymyalgia is an autoinflammatory disease.  The inflammatory response is a function of the intrinsic immune system.  And polymyalgia is commonly referred to, even in peer-reviewed literature, as an autoimmune disease.  It is true that it does not appear to be a disease of the adaptive immune system.  So, If you are going to be persnickety and insist on a narrow definition of autoimmune as being a disease of the adaptive immune system, it is not an autoimmune disease, but you seem to be out of step with the rest of the world

It's quite controversial, at best:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_autoimmune_diseases

Polymyalgia rheumatica    Limited, L, Y

L    Evidence to indicate autoimmunity is extremely limited or circumstantial.

45 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

It's quite controversial, at best:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_autoimmune_diseases

Polymyalgia rheumatica    Limited, L, Y

L    Evidence to indicate autoimmunity is extremely limited or circumstantial.

Is Wikipedia the best evidence you can find?  Given your usual insistence on well-vetted information, you seem to be slumming.  The Wikipedia chart did not include polymyalgia in its list of non-autoimmune diseases.

Edited by Rudynate

40 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

Is Wikipedia the best evidence you can find?  Given your usual insistence on well-vetted information, you seem to be slumming.  The Wikipedia chart did not include polymyalgia in its list of non-autoimmune diseases.

Wikipedia, while not a primary source, is usually well-vetted. This article in the British Medical Journal states PMR is more likely autoinflammatory than autoimmune:

https://rmdopen.bmj.com/content/4/1/e000694

As mentioned in Wikipedia, evidence of PMR being autoimmune is quite limited. As I mentioned previously, it's a good thing not to have an autoimmune disease, because they're usually fairly permanent, as opposed to petering out in a year or two. Stop complaining. 

Edited by Unicorn

5 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Wikipedia, while not a primary source, is usually well-vetted. This article in the British Medical Journal states PMR is more likely autoinflammatory than autoimmune:

As mentioned in Wikipedia, evidence of PMR being autoimmune is quite limited. As I mentioned previously, it's a good thing not to have an autoimmune disease, because they're usually fairly permanent, as opposed to petering out in a year or two. Stop complaining. 

You can't take yes for answer, that's what I said.

On 8/10/2022 at 12:43 PM, Rudynate said:

I know a number of people embracing the considerations of RA… if you have any questions text me privately. I would be happy to explore your options and questions with you~ 

On 10/13/2022 at 3:00 PM, Unicorn said:

In my experience, college professors warn students against Wikipedia.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 10:07 AM, craigville beach said:

I have RA.  Almost 30 years ago I looked like the Michelin tire character.  My entire body was inflamed.  I was on a steroid treatment at first then moved to Methotrexate, which I ended up on for 6 years.  Eventually my swelling went down and the RA was pushed in remission.  Since then I have occasional flares but am able to keep moving about.  I have to keep active every day or I ache and am stiff everywhere.     

I have a new diagnosis - RA - started methotrexate two weeks ago. As soon as I get to my full methotrexate dose, the joint doc says we will start to taper the corticosteroid.

2 hours ago, Rudynate said:

I have a new diagnosis - RA - started methotrexate two weeks ago. As soon as I get to my full methotrexate dose, the joint doc says we will start to taper the corticosteroid.

in addition to methotrexate i would take Leucovorin within 6 hours.   it was supposed to help with the side affects      good luck with your treatment program 

2 minutes ago, craigville beach said:

in addition to methotrexate i would take Leucovorin within 6 hours.   it was supposed to help with the side affects      good luck with your treatment program 

I take folic acid every day.  I think I  could replace it with L-methyl folate and it might work better.  I also may ask the joint doc for a script for Leucovorin..  Thanks for your advice.

11 hours ago, Rudynate said:

I take folic acid every day.  I think I  could replace it with L-methyl folate and it might work better.  I also may ask the joint doc for a script for Leucovorin..  Thanks for your advice.

What does folic acid or L-methyl folate do for your condition?